Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What trainer would you choose?
Used KICKR v.5 @ $50 7 77.78%
Used KICKR v.6 @ $200 1 11.11%
Something Else 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 11:35 AM

Trainer Poll: Kickr v.5 vs. Kickr v.6

Trainer season is on its way!

Because of . . . circumstances . . . I face the following choice in purchasing a used trainer:

--Low-mileage Wahoo KICKR v.6 for $200
--Low-mileage Wahoo KICKR v.5 for $50

The last trainer I used was a Kurt Kinetic, which was great for what it was. After moving away from Michigan winters, I swore off riding inside, but life changes have brought me to the point at which I would like to have an indoor option through the coming winter.

I've read through the usual spots online (so grateful to DCRainmaker for his contributions), and can't tell if I care enough about the upgrades to pay the extra money for the v.6 trainer.

What say you? V.5 or v.6? Something else?

Thanks in advance!
Old Today, 11:39 AM
Back At It!

FWIW, I've been using a early Kicker (would be called a core now) and didn't seem to miss anything.. I did notice it started having some issues when I tried to use it the other day, so may be looking for a replacement myself.. I bought mine use (it was maybe 3-4 yrs old) in 2019ish..

so I guess I'm saying I probably wouldn't stress over not having the .6 (having not researched either)

Last edited by fourflys; Today at 11:42 AM.
Old Today, 11:48 AM

Saris H3, has worked flawless for me for years, and less expensive than kickr.
Old Today, 11:50 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Saris H3, has worked flawless for me for years, and less expensive than kickr.
I don't know, $50 for a Kicker v.5 is pretty cheap.. if that was local to me, I'd jump on it.. heck, I'd even jump the v.6 for $200 if that was local to me!
Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I don't know, $50 for a Kicker v.5 is pretty cheap.. if that was local to me, I'd jump on it.. heck, I'd even jump the v.6 for $200 if that was local to me!
Oh, sorry, I thought he was talking like price differences. In that case, I'd go for the 6 for $200 personally.
Old Today, 12:22 PM

If they are both used, I would get the cheap one. And that is excessively cheap.

Being used, you are out of warranty for both, so if it craps out in 12 months, you are only out $50 as opposed to $200.
Old Today, 12:38 PM

As long as the V5 turns on and does what it should, grab it. I have a 5 and it is solid.
The V6 has wifi, that might matter depending on how you connect to it.
Old Today, 12:45 PM

I still have a v4. It took me three or four tries to get a reliable one (woodruff key and bad bearings) under warranty. But mine has been trouble free since 2019 although I admittedly don't use it too often.

I don't even recall what the 6 adds over 5 or 4. WiFi or ethernet or connectivity? Personally I've never had trouble with Bluetooth to an iPad, AppleTV, or decade old PC that I use with it. The 4 was the first one with the smooth belt and "silent" operation, but it also coincided with outsourcing production to Vietnam on a new design and QA problems.

At $50 I'd certainly buy the v5. I've paid more than that for used dumb fluid trainers.
Old Today, 01:25 PM

Trainer Poll: Kickr v. vs. Kickr v.[emoji239]

Last edited by Ewiser; Today at 01:27 PM.
Old Today, 01:33 PM

I mean for $50 it's hard to pass up.
Old Today, 03:13 PM

I sure appreciate all of the feedback here.

Primary question: is the primary difference between the two (the Wifi connectivity of the v.6 machine) worth paying extra for?

I'm not out to win any Zwift glory. I'm not setting up a high-tech pain cave. I'll be using this to add some structured 'training' through the winter.

Thanks again!
Old Today, 03:28 PM

Unless you have a need for Wifi, save yourself the money and buy that $50 v5.

These days, most devices connect to the Kickr via Bluetooth (or ANT for some older stuff), not sure what would require Wifi.

With BT, I can connect to my AppleTV (or iPad) for display, the Click (for virtual shifting - my trainer has a single cog so I can swap bike easily), and my HR monitor.
Old Today, 03:31 PM
Randomhead

There are a number of kickrs out there that have something wrong with them and won't develop any resistance. I would want to see a $50 kickr with a bike on it. That's not enough for a working kickr and it's too much for a broken one.

Actually, I would want to see a V6 working as well.

I hate having to shift on my trainer and of those two trainers, only the V6 supports virtual shifting. If all you are going to do is workouts in erg mode, then this isn't important, no shifting is required for that.

I'm just hoping my kickr lasts long enough that I can buy a Jetblack victory. Pre-orders are shipping at the end of the year.
Old Today, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There are a number of kickrs out there that have something wrong with them and won't develop any resistance. I would want to see a $50 kickr with a bike on it. That's not enough for a working kickr and it's too much for a broken one.

Actually, I would want to see a V6 working as well.

I hate having to shift on my trainer and of those two trainers, only the V6 supports virtual shifting. If all you are going to do is workouts in erg mode, then this isn't important, no shifting is required for that.

I'm just hoping my kickr lasts long enough that I can buy a Jetblack victory. Pre-orders are shipping at the end of the year.
Appreciate this feedback--I will have the chance to try both trainers before buying.

And to clarify--these trainers are not listed for the prices quoted above. We've got an insurance payout that brings the prices down to the amounts quoted here.
Old Today, 04:00 PM

I have replaced the bearings twice since 2019 in my KICKR. Two sets of bearings were $10 on Amazon, and the job takes about 30 minutes.