Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Are these pills we are discussing by prescription only, I assume?

If so, I would be curious what the OPs doctor advised.
Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
This also leaves aside the idea that, for example, I'm a really efficient cyclist and runner at this point; an hour with either of those modes of exercise burns fewer calories for me than it might for an intermediate or beginner. So, like I said, calories in and calories out are not as simple as they appear.

If I switch and start thinking about a larger society, particularly the United
There's lots of things to discuss here, so please let's not shoot down the potentially-interesting discussion with the claims that weight gain is solely a failure of willpower.
While not solely it’s unfair to reject willpower or even just rigorous planning, research and analysis as well. I think many here could claim to be an efficient cyclist. If you are using that as a weight loss/control tool, I think you just need to plan and understand that you can reap the benefits of an engine that can recover faster and go harder and longer. If longer doesn’t work, focus and make it harder. A 1hr cruise is very different from 40 minutes of threshold intervals with 20’ warmup/cool down.
Old Today, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Don’t forget walking. Most older European cities were developed around the pedestrian, not the car.
We just returned from a couple weeks in Italy. Despite eating ridiculous amounts of food (who would think having an Aperitivo, a cocktain and a little light snack of meats and cheeses a couple hours before a 3 course dinner was such a brilliant idea??) - and drinking gallons of italian wine - we all lost weight. Just SO much walking to see everything.

And the gelato. My god, the gelato.
Old Today, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so in case there is any confusion, I am the person who is considering taking the meds..

1. per BMI (yes, it has it's issues), I am obese.. at 5' 8.5", I hover around 220-225#.. 39-40" waist..

2. per most height/weight charts, I would be at least 40# over where I should be..

3. After a 30 yr career in the military, I have been diagnosed with PTSD with persistent depression.

4. I am not set on taking the meds as I am aware of the side effects for sure and they don't sound fun for many of the folks.. they also sound like they can be very effective in taking off 10-20% of the weight in a fairly short time..

5. I'm still waiting to talk to my Doc, so not even sure if it's a possibility yet..

I appreciate the thoughtful comments and even some of the others..
Ok, you are describing me a couple of years after I retired from the Army. Lost my ability to run and got up to 237 lbs and I'm your height. Took up cycling but the real key was totally diet. For 7 months I counted calories but mainly switched to a diet that was mainly vegetables and chicken. No red meat and bread, sugary treats, etc. Stuck to the tree meals and a healthy stack of some sort. Quit all the junk snacking, eat processed, etc. Got down to 159 lbs at my lowest. I felt better, fresh food tasted better and better as I went along, mental attitude improved, nightmares abated, etc.

Stress eating is an live long battle for me now and one I'm failing at. Knees got worse and for the 2-3 years I fought the VA for replacements my weight jumped back up to arouns 190s. But a lot of that too was me being mentally week and eating bad again. My office job is sitting at a freaking desk with too many folks around me eating bad and my will power failing. This is my issue and I own it. Maybe that is the first step. I could blame things on my PTSD and my health issues but deep down inside I know it is me. In fact, it's my recognizing my own weakness in relation to this that made my decide to retire early. I will get away from all the junk food again, get even more active, and hopefully get the weight under control. If I don't it's on me and I am not taking meds to try and treat something that truly is of my own doing.

In my opinion and belief being obese for all of us save a very small minority is our own actions. I've seen what I can do about my weight when I commit to it and I've seen what happens will allow my excuses to "justify" not taking care of my weight. Just my two cents as another vet who used to be super healthy. I have a very high disability rating from the VA that is justified by all the broken parts on my body now. But, if I'm being honest with myself, I only am overweight because of my poor eating habits. I suspect there are plenty of changes you can make in your diet to overcome you problem without meds. You just have to want it enough. I say that because that's the path I'm on. I've succeeded in fixing it in the past and I'm no one special. If I can do you, so can pretty much everyone else. Good luck.
Old Today, 01:03 PM

I am not going to get into the weeds but I have family that struggled with weight loss their entire life. I know the signs. Also, we have a couple of friends that constantly yoyo with diets and now weight loss drugs. Sure the weight comes off but it comes back just as fast. I believe before anyone decides to take a magic pill they should consider nutritional counseling. Change the way you think about food, form good habits, control the stress eating, and other factors, trust me I know. I'm not saying everyone who gains weight has some form of mental illness. I'm just a believer in putting in the work and doing it safely and naturally.
Old Today, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This is the most relevant response yet. Real life example. Why did person X take it, and what were the ramifications.
sorry if i got in the way of the fat shaming
Old Today, 01:06 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Ok, you are describing me a couple of years after I retired from the Army. Lost my ability to run and got up to 237 lbs and I'm your height. Took up cycling but the real key was totally diet. For 7 months I counted calories but mainly switched to a diet that was mainly vegetables and chicken. No red meat and bread, sugary treats, etc. Stuck to the tree meals and a healthy stack of some sort. Quit all the junk snacking, eat processed, etc. Got down to 159 lbs at my lowest. I felt better, fresh food tasted better and better as I went along, mental attitude improved, nightmares abated, etc.

Stress eating is an live long battle for me now and one I'm failing at. Knees got worse and for the 2-3 years I fought the VA for replacements my weight jumped back up to arouns 190s. But a lot of that too was me being mentally week and eating bad again. My office job is sitting at a freaking desk with too many folks around me eating bad and my will power failing. This is my issue and I own it. Maybe that is the first step. I could blame things on my PTSD and my health issues but deep down inside I know it is me. In fact, it's my recognizing my own weakness in relation to this that made my decide to retire early. I will get away from all the junk food again, get even more active, and hopefully get the weight under control. If I don't it's on me and I am not taking meds to try and treat something that truly is of my own doing.

In my opinion and belief being obese for all of us save a very small minority is our own actions. I've seen what I can do about my weight when I commit to it and I've seen what happens will allow my excuses to "justify" not taking care of my weight. Just my two cents as another vet who used to be super healthy. I have a very high disability rating from the VA that is justified by all the broken parts on my body now. But, if I'm being honest with myself, I only am overweight because of my poor eating habits. I suspect there are plenty of changes you can make in your diet to overcome you problem without meds. You just have to want it enough. I say that because that's the path I'm on. I've succeeded in fixing it in the past and I'm no one special. If I can do you, so can pretty much everyone else. Good luck.
thanks James, I appreciate your feedback and your struggle..
Old Today, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I'm just a believer in putting in the work and doing it safely and naturally.
Yeah, and there's a real wildcard as no one knows the long term effects or impacts of joining the summer ozempics.

I think these things have their place, but they arent a magic bean.
Old Today, 01:17 PM
Steel..what else??

nm

Last edited by Big Dan; Today at 01:40 PM.
Old Today, 01:21 PM
Meh

We know what the long-term effects are of taking psychiatric drugs for those that are indicated. Some of those side effects are serious. However, when the alternative is a lifetime risk of suicide north of 50%, the tradeoff can make a lot of sense.

We don't have all the data for these drugs yet for obesity, though we do have good data on pre-diabetes. I suspect we'll learn that the tradeoffs make sense for many populations.

It does not make sense to treat these conditions as different than any other health problem simply because you think it's the patient's fault. This is a case where human intuition is a poor guide, if your goal is human happiness and longer life.

Last edited by EB; Today at 01:25 PM.
Old Today, 01:36 PM

I though I'd gotten a lot better at just letting the internet stuff go, but this one hit hard - some of the posts are so self-centered and lack any viewpoint besides their own (leaning more towards the "just have some willpower type") -

I have a family member with some serious mental health issues - not typical stuff, but binge eating is part of it. Finding the right people to deal with the mental health aspect has been a years-long challenge, finally think they've got someone who actually knows what the hell their doing.

With all the damage done (healthwise) leading up to it, getting them on these meds so their health issues as a result of the weight can be managed while getting to the bottom of the mental health issues is so important.

Try getting outside of your own world for a bit.
Old Today, 01:53 PM

I do think most of this thread is more about weight loss as vanity as opposed to a health issue. These drugs were not developed as appetite suppressors or weight-loss, but as a diabetes treatment.

Weight-loss was just a side-effect, a lot like the little blue pill. It wasn't developed as a ED medicine originally, but they noticed a certain effect on patients in the trials and presto- hit drug.

People with diabetes often have a lot of secondary problems with cardiovascular, hypertension, weight, respiratory etc. The diabetes medication often helps improve these secondary conditions. There are some published studies, and there is research continuing on how drugs like WeGovy may help address some of these issues also. If you can lose weight and gain improvement on my cardiovascular issues, then it will benefit a lot of people.

In a world with overweight people suffering from a host of secondary health issues, there is a definite place for these medications. Even with side effects, net-net these will probably greatly benefit society. But like everything, there is no magic bullet, so this is just part of a treatment program. As others I said, you should monitor your diet to be sure to get enough daily nutrients etc.
(I know a couple of problem drinkers who have used the drunk to try to control the craving to drink. They claim it is working. What do I know, but if it helps, more power to them.)

Last edited by verticaldoug; Today at 01:59 PM.
Old Today, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCanon View Post
I watch older documentaries from the 80's and earlier and notice that people aren't that fat. Are we more sedentary with our lifestyles? Maybe drinking more beers? Snacks more chips? Have a dessert after every dinner?

What we don't realize is that it's the little things over long periods that add up. I'm not sure many of us bike enough to burn off those extra calories.
I had this conversation with someone recently. I noted that very few in my high school class, back in the early 70s, were fat. The kids that we considered fat would only be a bit overweight today. Genes certainly don't change in that short a period of time. My guess it comes down to how much more processed food, and fast food places, there are now. Plus, kids are far more sedentary now than in years past. Bit by bit it all adds up. I'm 6' and 160 lbs but could still stand to lose a couple of pounds around my waist. I rarely say it out loud as I look very slim and most people take that claim as a humble brag. Still...I notice it.

Tim
Old Today, 01:58 PM

These new meds have me little ticked, Novo Norsk seems to be busy making this stuff, and insulin (Fiasp) that I am on it not available.
Old Today, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
These new meds have me little ticked, Novo Norsk seems to be busy making this stuff, and insulin (Fiasp) that I am on it not available.
This is a problem that as recently been discussed as production shifted to higher price drugs, insulin is in shorter supply if I could send you some from the UK, I would. It is £8 per vial here.