Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryasian View Post
rides that should take two hours but actually take four because seemingly every editor has to get that perfect "sprinting in the drops" action shot gets old quick.

I hadn't thought of this but I utterly understand it from past lives:

- General photography fatigue, cycling photos is just a flavor of this, and photography for work is way way less fun than photography for fun

- Motorcycle group rides where smokers had to stop seemingly every 30 minutes to smoke. Inevitably one of them would be Mr. Macho and the stories were amusing at first and then got tiring.

- Cycling group rides where you start questioning why the overwhelmingly kid-free group wants to stop for a 3rd-ish coffee and pastry on a century-ish ride when you've gotta get home cause you have a family.

Anything can get old when you turn it into your job!
Old Today, 01:53 PM

With the exception of James outbidding me ebay years ago on a dekerf ti stem, I have enjoyed his work and will be looking at his substack over the coming month or so and deciding if I am going to subscribe.
Old Today, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I hadn't thought of this but I utterly understand it from past lives:

- General photography fatigue, cycling photos is just a flavor of this, and photography for work is way way less fun than photography for fun

- Motorcycle group rides where smokers had to stop seemingly every 30 minutes to smoke. Inevitably one of them would be Mr. Macho and the stories were amusing at first and then got tiring.

- Cycling group rides where you start questioning why the overwhelmingly kid-free group wants to stop for a 3rd-ish coffee and pastry on a century-ish ride when you've gotta get home cause you have a family.

Anything can get old when you turn it into your job!
I used to be a chef at very fancy restaurants, I always had truffles when in season, and got to taste the finest wines in the world, I would literally spread foie gras on my morning bagel. And leaving the kitchen was the greatest choice I ever made. People are often shocked that I don't miss the perks of the job. I totally get what James is talking about. Fly me to Italy for a bike release once that sounds awesome but by the 50th time, I'm sure it gets very old.
Old Today, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
DC Rainmaker is an example of that. Bias is always unavoidable but ideally there is transparency so the reader can weigh any potential conflict of interest- for example if the reviewer is paid consultant, was flown to Europe all expenses, etc.
He also makes money through affiliate links and has ads on his site, so you can read into these reviews whatever bias you want to.

There's a time and place for cynicism in product reviews, but I would say let the works speak for itself and save that for the ones that definitely deserve it - like whatever empty shell Outside turned into.
Old Today, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
There's a time and place for cynicism in product reviews, but I would say let the works speak for itself and save that for the ones that definitely deserve it - like whatever empty shell Outside turned into.
Outside is kind of that perfect example of "I know it when I see it".
Old Today, 03:02 PM

Since James is now participating, I just want to give a shout out to the high quality of his writing! It's concise, elegant, and fun to read. In contrast (as an example), I can rarely get through a Cyclingnews piece because of the wordiness, grammatical errors, sloppy diction, purple prose, etc. That's a place in very bad need of a good editor. Full disclosure: I'm an English professor....
Old Today, 03:51 PM

As a high school English teacher myself, I give this comment two thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
Since James is now participating, I just want to give a shout out to the high quality of his writing! It's concise, elegant, and fun to read. In contrast (as an example), I can rarely get through a Cyclingnews piece because of the wordiness, grammatical errors, sloppy diction, purple prose, etc. That's a place in very bad need of a good editor. Full disclosure: I'm an English professor....
Old Today, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
He also makes money through affiliate links and has ads on his site, so you can read into these reviews whatever bias you want to.

Totally agree, and didnt mean to sound cynical, if I did. All that is acceptable, but transparency goes a long way to maintaining integrity. In other realms for example, it is standard practice to state any *potential* conflicts of interest. The existence of these does not necessarily invalidate results.
Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Totally agree, and didnt mean to sound cynical, if I did. All that is acceptable, but transparency goes a long way to maintaining integrity. In other realms for example, it is standard practice to state any *potential* conflicts of interest. The existence of these does not necessarily invalidate results.
I certainly pledge to do my best here, but as always, anyone can reach out to me directly if they ever have questions about anything.

Just to be clear, n-1 is my only gig: no behind-the-curtain projects, no consulting work, no side hustles. At least not for any sort of compensation, anyway. Brands ask my opinions and advice on stuff all the time, but I (perhaps foolishly?) give that out for free.