Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2024, 04:05 PM

How to search for J-bend spokes?

Hi all,

I'm considering re-building a long-used (at least 25 y.o.) Corima aero tubular rear wheel (minor cracking starting around the valve hole), and am having a tough time searching for the correct spokes, in a preliminary search. The drive-side ones are bladed, J-bend spokes, but the orientation of the spoke head is turned at a right angle to the standard. Instead of the flat circle of the spoke head facing the flat part of the spoke, it faces the edge.

In searching for that kind of spoke, when I add terms like "spoke head orientation", "turned 90 degrees" etc, I just get swamped with articles about the orientation of spoke heads either inside or outside the hub flange, or standard bladed spokes that have turned sideways and need to be straightened (Incidentally, why does the internet need hundreds of articles explaining this, and how to straighten them? Is nobody in charge of a periodic cleanup/purge of the electronic dump we call the internet? )

Any tips on what these spokes are officially called, or where to source them? I suppose I may just have to go with a round cross-section if it is too much hassle. Something tells me that twisting a standard spoke that far wouldn't be good for the strength at the elbow. I haven't committed to getting a new rim and re-building. I may just tuck the hub and spokes into the overflow drawer, to be cleared out by whoever inherits that terrible job after I die.

I've included photos of the drive, and non-drive sides, in case my description was inadequate.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg non_drive.jpg (65.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Drive.jpg (64.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 09-28-2024, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

I've sent the link to the gurus at DT in Grand Junction and also to my Sapim spoke supplier to see if they have any idea. I've been building wheels for almost 40 years and I have never seen spokes like that.

I suspect that the wheel maker had a spoke manufacturer make these specifically for these wheels.
Old 09-28-2024, 08:32 AM

I have only seen these spokes on Corima wheels (or those made under contract by them for other brands) so reaching out directly to corima may be your best bet. Worst case you could possibly just rebuild with round spokes.
Old 09-28-2024, 03:30 PM

If I’m understanding correctly, it’s the rim that is showing signs of failure. If the spokes have held up, why would you want to replace them?.. Or is the intent to rebuild with a new rim of a different ERD, so the old spokes won’t work?
Old 09-28-2024, 03:43 PM

Yes, I think I'd approach this as a "can I find a rim of the same ERD" problem
Old 10-04-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I've sent the link to the gurus at DT in Grand Junction and also to my Sapim spoke supplier to see if they have any idea. I've been building wheels for almost 40 years and I have never seen spokes like that.

I suspect that the wheel maker had a spoke manufacturer make these specifically for these wheels.
That is what I began to suspect after I didn't see any spokes with that configuration on any of the major brand websites. Thanks for looking into it
Old 10-04-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
If I’m understanding correctly, it’s the rim that is showing signs of failure. If the spokes have held up, why would you want to replace them?.. Or is the intent to rebuild with a new rim of a different ERD, so the old spokes won’t work?
If there was an option to re-use the spokes, I certainly would, but as a previous responder noted, it is a matter of whether I can find a rim with the same ERD. I'm not sure I'd want a rim as deep as the original, to be honest, and if I went with an Al rim rather than carbon, I'd almost certainly need longer spokes. I'll have to keep all the suggestions in mind if/when the time comes. I thought I'd post the question, on the off-chance someone would chime in with "oh sure, X company makes those spokes in every size...". Not my lucky day, ha.

I wonder why that hub/spoke interface design is so rare? Seems logical, in that you can slot in wide bladed spokes, and avoid the windup tendency (I've heard about, but not experienced) while building with straight-pull spokes.