Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 09:53 AM

VPN for watching out of area nfl games

Has anyone been successful watching NFL games using VPN to access servers near games that you wish to watch.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:56 AM

I used Express VPN to watch the Tour on a Canadian network. That part worked fine but the only problem was casting it to my Samsung TV. That part was tricky.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:58 AM

Haven't tried this for football, but have had good success using Nord VPN to watch in market games on NBA League Pass.

Edit* Oh... I guess this is the opposite of what you're asking. I was doing this to watch blacked out local games rather than to change my location to get local games elsewhere. It should work the same way the other way around.
Old 09-15-2024, 10:03 AM

Doesn't work well. Fox games -used to be you could set the vpn to a city with access to the game you wanted, but somehow they blocked that last season. You can try it, but I couldn't get it to work last season. CBS has never worked.

Local affiliates don't stream, its part of their licensing deal.
Old 09-15-2024, 12:20 PM

I am using NordVPN to watch stuff from overseas, mostly German TV for soccer. Works great.
Should work for your purposes as well.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:42 PM

Deleted.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 09-15-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:06 PM

The op asked a specific question. NFL games out of market.

VPNs work for a number of things, this isn't one of them.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:07 PM

Yes, NFL has made sure that there's not a work around. Thus, $350 for their product. No thanks, I only wanted it for 6 or seven games. It would be great if you could purchase a single out of market game. My Sunday is filled with Falcons and Panthers. Not too exciting.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I'm a Philly fan in a Commanders market. Two or three times a year there's a conflict, and I'm not buying the Ticket for that. I go to a bar...
Old 09-16-2024, 01:48 PM

If you can VPN and remote desktop into the local computer, it would work. I have done this in Europe and watched the Warriors games. Youtube TV still thinks I'm in San Jose.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:16 PM

I tried logging into my spectrum account from my parents house to watch a game and it recognized that I was on a VPN and wouldn't let me in.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:44 PM

I wonder if there are any international streaming packages that get you all the games?

The classic NBA League Pass thing to do would be to buy a subscription while VPNed to India or Turkey at a fraction of the price then use the same country to watch any of the games. It's gotten harder in recent years, but there might be something similar for the NFL
Old 09-16-2024, 03:17 PM

The trick is to setup Remote Desktop on your local computer. VPN is just another security layer. I could have easily removed the VPN from the router and point the remote desktop port on the router to the local computer.

When you do this, you're actually viewing your local computer and running everything on that computer.
Old 09-16-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCanon View Post
The trick is to setup Remote Desktop on your local computer. VPN is just another security layer. I could have easily removed the VPN from the router and point the remote desktop port on the router to the local computer.

When you do this, you're actually viewing your local computer and running everything on that computer.
OP isn't trying to watch local games from afar. He's trying to spoof that he's in a market that has coverage for a game that isn't available on local broadcast tv in his market. Say the 4pm Fox game in your locale is the Cowboys but you want to watch some other team-can you VPN to that other teams home city where their game is on and watch thru a streaming app b/c it thinks you're geolocated in that market? No.

In my situation its usually trying to watch the Eagles when the local game on Fox is a Commanders game b/c I'm in the "DC market" geographically. What I used to do was use a vpn tied to NJ and use the fox streaming app. This worked prior to last season. Now, the streamers have blacklisted the vpn ip's or something and it no longer works.