Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 07:17 PM
Registered (ab)User

LOL! When I first got into group cycling -- before I even had clipless pedals -- I observed that *everyone* who owned Look Keo pedals had trouble clipping in. Everyone!!!

It honestly amazes me that they are still being sold. :shrugs:
Old 08-26-2024, 07:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
LOL! When I first got into group cycling -- before I even had clipless pedals -- I observed that *everyone* who owned Look Keo pedals had trouble clipping in. Everyone!!!

It honestly amazes me that they are still being sold. :shrugs:
Did Keo pedals even exist back then?

Before Keo, Look made Delta, which is what I still have on my bikes...
Old 08-26-2024, 08:06 PM

I guess ignorance IS bliss. I've only used Look Keo on my road bikes once I went clipless. I never knew they were supposed to be so hard to use. I just automatically do whatever it is I have to do to clip in. Rarely do I miss.

I'm running around 30+ bikes with various versions of the Keo pedals, to include 2 or 3 off brand sets. One of the off brand sets is a bit tough to unclip my right foot with since the knee surgery.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post

I guess ignorance IS bliss. I've only used Look Keo on my road bikes once I went clipless. I never knew they were supposed to be so hard to use. I just automatically do whatever it is I have to do to clip in. Rarely do I miss.

I'm running around 30+ bikes with various versions of the Keo pedals, to include 2 or 3 off brand sets. One of the off brand sets is a bit tough to unclip my right foot with since the knee surgery.
Yes I agree, even my wife can do it on both her single bike and tandem.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:02 PM

I’ve been a happy Keo user for however long they’ve been around. I used Deltas before and they were very squeaky, like “sorry about all the noise guys” squeaky. My current set of cleats is pretty worn and the rubber tips fell off and I’ve found that makes my usual quick flip with the cleat to position the pedal out of sync and it takes me a few tries on occasion. (Wow that was a terrible run on sentence!) I expect that to resolve when I replace the cleats.

To answer your question though OP, I also use Crank Bros Candy - first started using them for cross racing as I like the ability to use the flat if you’re not fully clipped in. I also use for touring and gravel riding now. The newer Candys are much better quality now, meaning they won’t randomly fall apart.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
Used Speedplay for a number of years. Went to the M2 racer pedal and they did not last. Tried going back to Speedplay but they disagreed with me. Rode Time but the bearings and cleats wore out fast. Tried Look Keo ti pedals and they were a Pita to engage. Always had to flip the pedal to engage. Have Dura Ace 9100 on two bikes and love them and most of the time the pedals flip for easy engagement. I also have Garmin Rally RS 200 power pedals on my main road bike and they work just as well as the Dura Ace.
I used Speedplays for a couple of decades. I preferred the Zeros. They were the easiest to get into and were great for crits with the easy 2-sided entry. I’m told the new Wahoo branded Speedplays are a bit more difficult to engage.

Speedplays pedals.also started to cause me some soreness on the bottom of my feet directly over the cleat. I therefore switched to Garmin pedals (shimano-SPD-SL2 cleats). They aren’t as easy to engage as Speedplays, but the Shimano-style cleats offer a much wider platform and I don’t get foot soreness.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:29 AM

I love my Shimano pedals, especially the DA pedal. I also use a pair of DA 7400 that are easy to clip in and out. However, they spin so fast, like a spinning top, the clipping in can be an issue. They use a Delta cleat not always easy to find.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:34 AM

I have MKS US-L pedals on two of my bikes. Very easy to clip in and out. The bearing quality is excellent, and they use the Look cleats as well.

https://mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/32
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USL1.jpg (56.3 KB, 30 views)