Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2024, 06:48 AM

Eisentraut article

I lusted after an Eisentraut frame back in the day. The Radavist has a nice article on a mt bike he made. To me, the highlight is the Bicycle Guide article on him from 1987. It reminds me how great that mag was in its heyday.

https://theradavist.com/eisentraut-mountain-bike/

Tim
Old 08-14-2024, 10:28 PM

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

What a cool bike!
Old 08-14-2024, 10:32 PM

Thanks so much for that link! Eisentraut and Ritchey are both national treasures.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:53 PM

Cool article! This thread might need further illustration- my late '80s "Rainbow Traut" dressed in Suntour Superbe, Avocet triple for the Bay Area hills, Challenge Strada 30mm tires, and topped with a Belgian Sofa for the Bay Area busted up roads. White bar tape is a PITA, but what choice do I have?

Last edited by zennmotion; 08-14-2024 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:31 AM

Wow - beautiful Traut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Cool article! This thread might need further illustration- my late '80s "Rainbow Traut" dressed in Suntour Superbe, Avocet triple for the Bay Area hills, Challenge Strada 30mm tires, and topped with a Belgian Sofa for the Bay Area busted up roads. White bar tape is a PITA, but what choice do I have?

Old 08-15-2024, 05:42 AM

Great article! Thanks for sharing. I never knew the extent of Eisentraut's influence on American framebuilding.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I had those same brakes and crank (with only two rings) on my old Condor Italia. The Avocet crank was the only one I ever had break, it snapped at the pedal eyelet.

Tim
Old 08-15-2024, 08:50 AM

SiL's 1976 (?) Eisentraut from maybe 15 years ago. His Train Station bike, of all things. Painted over the original color with some spotty primer to make it less theft-worthy. Full Galli group. He rode the snot out of that rascal, then we passed it on to a fella out in the PNW for restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eisentraut right side A.jpg (68.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Eisentraut left side A.jpg (62.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-15-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That's beautiful. Maybe try some of the tan-colored (natural) cork handlebar tape and see if that works for you?
Old 08-15-2024, 12:08 PM

That's pretty cool, only the second Eisentraut mountain bike I've seen. A friend owns the other one, Campy equipped, a real time capsule.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:12 PM

Very cool!

After years of searching for a Bruce Gordon, or Eisentraut in my size I recently took the plunge on a local '76 Eisentraut Limited (pic as purchased). It needs some love so it's undergoing a home brew mild restification. All Nuovo Record with the exception of the Super Record cranks and Phil Wood hubs and BB (came with a hi flange NR wheelset as well. Going to replace the NR brakes with Mafac Racers and add a triplizer. Clears 35s in 700c format, but will clear 38s if I choose to go 650b with Raids down the road.

Those are 19mm tubulars shown below, need to rebuild these with TB14s.

Last edited by donevwil; 08-15-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
That's beautiful. Maybe try some of the tan-colored (natural) cork handlebar tape and see if that works for you?
Good advice! The only bike I wear gloves with, and frequent swish with Dawn and a clean sponge work to a point. This bike was never intended to be "period correct" or even retro, but that's how it worked out with most of the parts, like the crank that may asplode at any minute, being original to some bike from my past and pulled out of a dusty box. It was either the old stuff or using a Shimano 11 speed 105 group that I'm storing for parts for the upcoming mechanical/rim brake apocalypse. I definitely wanted to have downtube shifters as they're a unique engagement experience that I miss with brifters, and the triple makes for a bike I can use comfortably for any ride alone or with friends without having to avoid the hills (which are always part of the best Bay Area routes).
Old 08-15-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Very cool!

After years of searching for a Bruce Gordon, or Eisentraut in my size I recently took the plunge on a local '76 Eisentraut Limited (pic as purchased). It needs some love so it's undergoing a home brew mild restification. All Nuovo Record with the exception of the Super Record cranks and Phil Wood hubs and BB (came with a hi flange NR wheelset as well. Going to replace the NR brakes with Mafac Racers and add a triplizer. Clears 35s in 700c format, but will clear 38s if I choose to go 650b with Raids down the road.

Those are 19mm tubulars shown below, need to rebuild these with TB14s.

Gorgeous! Red is definitely the fastest color!