Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM

usually when i go out on the bike, i take my iPhone XR and a Fuji X-Pro2 in a handlebar bag. if it's anything more than a throwaway snapshot, i'm taking it with the Fuji.

i shoot cyclocross with the X-Pro2, an X-T2, and Fuji GFX50r medium-format setup. good luck telling the difference on instagram... i have printed stuff from the X-Pro2 and X-T2 as large as 24x36" and they look fantastic.
haven't printed anything from the GFX yet...

if i were going on a safari, i'd rent lenses.
Lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are reputable sources with good service, i've used both.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 PM

What computer monitor would you guys recommended? I currently have a 1080p 24" monitor and it's not adequate for viewing and editing photos. I'm thinking a 4K monitor, but not an expensive professional grade one.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
usually when i go out on the bike, i take my iPhone XR and a Fuji X-Pro2 in a handlebar bag. if it's anything more than a throwaway snapshot, i'm taking it with the Fuji.

i shoot cyclocross with the X-Pro2, an X-T2, and Fuji GFX50r medium-format setup. good luck telling the difference on instagram... i have printed stuff from the X-Pro2 and X-T2 as large as 24x36" and they look fantastic.
haven't printed anything from the GFX yet...

if i were going on a safari, i'd rent lenses.
Lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are reputable sources with good service, i've used both.

I want those fujis.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:22 PM

OT: Cameras

Iphone 11 Pro vs Panasonic DMC-SZ7:

Panasonic

iPhone

Panasonic

iPhone

Edit: I went back and re-uploaded the photos at medium resolution.

Last edited by MikeD; 01-13-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM

Bottom is iPhone bc looks to be over processed
Old 01-11-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Bottom is iPhone bc looks to be over processed

Nope. The first photo in each set is the iPhone photo.

What's also interesting is that in the first photo set, where the sky is all white in the Panasonic photo, I ran the photo through Lightroom and I could not get the sky to show any clouds, so that detail is lost.

Last edited by MikeD; 01-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
well the settings you have on the camera are over processing the image.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
None of those photos are very good at this size. I would hate to see them at full size.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
well the settings you have on the camera are over processing the image.

The settings were on "intelligent automatic," the default automatic setting which the manual says is the best all around setting. It does have other scenery settings, which may or may not improve things. It's a point and shoot camera, which is how I used it.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The settings were on "intelligent automatic," the default automatic setting which the manual says is the best all around setting. It does have other scenery settings, which may or may not improve things. It's a point and shoot camera, which is how I used it.
An iphone is perfect for you.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
None of those photos are very good at this size. I would hate to see them at full size.

Why do you say it's not full size? When I touch the image in Tapatalk, it blows up the image to full size and it's indistinguishable from the original in Photos on my iPad.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I too would have thought that the 2nd set was the iPhone. But I'm not really a fan of any of those pics, they all look over processed to me.

It's not really a fair comparison though as the DMC-SZ7 came out in 2012. There have been a lot of strides in compact cameras in the last 8 years, just as there have been in phone cameras.

As for the iA setting, there are times when it does produce the better pic. I have had a few Lumix over the years and I've found that I get the best pics in the A (aperture priority) setting or sometimes in the S (shutter priority) setting.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I too would have thought that the 2nd set was the iPhone. But I'm not really a fan of any of those pics, they all look over processed to me.

It's not really a fair comparison though as the DMC-SZ7 came out in 2012. There have been a lot of strides in compact cameras in the last 8 years, just as there have been in phone cameras.

As for the iA setting, there are times when it does produce the better pic. I have had a few Lumix over the years and I've found that I get the best pics in the A (aperture priority) setting or sometimes in the S (shutter priority) setting.
I think that his point. He is trying to prove to the world that he is right with comparisons of a subpar camera to the new iPhone.

I think he got all pissy because a while back I recommended an RX100 camera and he found an article saying that an iphone camera was better. When we all agreed an iphone camera is great and the difference is slim he still wanted to rattle everyone's cages. As I said before I think the iphone is a perfect camera for him. Its not for me and others but the camera I use has plenty of misses too. But I am comfortable with it and that is what matters to me... not what someone else thinks.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-11-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Yikes! Agree. Just looked at them on a web browser on my computer. Tapatalk is way better for this (or right click on the image and save it, then open it; it looks way better).

Last edited by MikeD; 01-11-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:

What's also interesting is that in the first photo set, where the sky is all white in the Panasonic photo, I ran the photo through Lightroom and I could not get the sky to show any clouds, so that detail is lost.

What exactly are you trying to prove with these images? It’s already known cameras from top end smartphones are extremely good especially when compared to top end compact point and shoot cameras. The real difference is when you start to compare smartphone cameras to micro four thirds and bigger sensor cameras.