Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Where are the Chelsea fans on this board? Apparently splashed out €60+ to purchase the playing rights of one Christian Pulisic.

Good move for BVB, as the fee enables the team to strenghten weak spots (fullback and center forward), but this probably won’t go well for Pulisic. Hell, one could easily make a starting 11 of players Chelsea rejected...

Im not sure if i’d actually want to root for him that much, due to general scumbaggery associated with the owner and the team’s fans. Wish him well, but...

Personally would have loved to see him play for LFC or Spurs.

Come to think of it, i believe one of those Chelsea rejects signed for ~£35 M last year.

Last edited by echappist; 01-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Where are the Chelsea fans on this board? Apparently splashed out €60+ to purchase the playing rights of one Christian Pulisic.

Good move for BVB, as the fee enables the team to strenghten weak spots (fullback and center forward), but this probably won’t go well for Pulisic. Hell, one could easily make a starting 11 of players Chelsea rejected...

Im not sure if i’d actually want to root for him that much, due to general scumbaggery associated with the owner and the team’s fans. Wish him well, but...

Personally would have loved to see him play for LFC or Spurs.

Come to think of it, i believe one of those Chelsea rejects signed for ~£35 M last year.
73 million - whoa!!
He supposedly turned down Liverpool. He is young - 20 years old and already played in 23 Champions League matches. Hope he can adjust to Sarri's style of play. According to a soundbite after todays draw, Sarri stated that he had no input in the transfer and just became aware of it.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM

if that's true, yikes

Chelsea is where talent goes to die; perfected it long before Man U. got good at it. For the sake of the USMNT, I hope it doesn't end up like this...
Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
if that's true, yikes

Chelsea is where talent goes to die; perfected it long before Man U. got good at it. For the sake of the USMNT, I hope it doesn't end up like this...
But they do attract and have signed some talented wingers (Robben, Oscar, Hazzard, Willan etc.). But at this price they must get a return on their euro.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of players whose development they wasted (De Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku). But with a possible transfer ban, perhaps they'll have to give their new-signings and academy players more chances

---------------------------------------

In other news, a 6-pointer on the top of the Premier League table. Liverpool got carved open a few times. Well deserved for Guardiola's team, though they did get lucky with the first goal line clearance.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of players whose development they wasted (De Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku). But with a possible transfer ban, perhaps they'll have to give their new-signings and academy players more chances

---------------------------------------

In other news, a 6-pointer on the top of the Premier League table. Liverpool got carved open a few times. Well deserved for Guardiola's team, though they did get lucky with the first goal line clearance.
They have had their share of players who could now be considered superstars (on their existing teams).
Cheer for them when they are on your team - despise them when they leave.
Is there another sport other than futbol where this occurs so regularly?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Cranky!

A lot of the "young talent wasted" issues (de Bruyne, Salah, Robben, et al) were more of a Mourinho problem than a systemic club problem.

Hazard, who Pulisic is trying to emulate, started right away, and arguably got better.

Both Pulisic and Chelsea are betting that he will break into the squad and contribute at a very high level, consistently, very soon. This is not a "we hope this talented kid pans out" kind of move.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

old news - but since it is a slow news week for futbol, here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1P00L5
Old 01-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
old news - but since it is a slow news week for futbol, here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1P00L5
nothing to see here, just a chav who's had a few too many drinks

can't wait for Bundesliga to resume. BVB is getting no respect, as 538 predicts Bayern to win the league. I get it: BVB has to play Leipzig, Bayern, and Gladbach away, but that's still quite little regard they have for BVB...
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 PM

and who say's it's slow news day; leader of premier league out of FA Cup

of course, they had a difficult draw, but I applaud Klopp for saying eff it to the FA Cup and focusing on the league. Tie games in the Cup, after all, requires replays...
Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
A lot of the "young talent wasted" issues (de Bruyne, Salah, Robben, et al) were more of a Mourinho problem than a systemic club problem.

Hazard, who Pulisic is trying to emulate, started right away, and arguably got better.

Both Pulisic and Chelsea are betting that he will break into the squad and contribute at a very high level, consistently, very soon. This is not a "we hope this talented kid pans out" kind of move.
Half his pricetag is based on marketing calculations toward the US soccer market...
Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Half his pricetag is based on marketing calculations toward the US soccer market...
You're just bitter he didn't go to Bayern. Confess . . .
Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
You're just bitter he didn't go to Bayern. Confess . . .
not the way he played the last half year, there's about 3-4 players at BVB i'd take before him. The number of BVB youngsters who were super-promising or even spectacular in one or two seasons and faded even more spectacularily is staggering. Weigl anyone? Götze? Bender? Leitner? Durm? Passlack? Ginter?

Last edited by martl; 01-08-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Cranky!

Götze has 63 caps for Germany, scored the winning goal in a World Cup final, didn't start to fade until he went to Bayern, and has struggled with serious health issues, so let's leave him out of any list of underachievers.

My appreciation of Pulisic is colored ever so slightly by my seeing him almost single-handedly defeat Liverpool in the pre-season friendly in Charlotte. I genuinely believe that he's a player with all the right Voraussetzungen to perform at a very high level.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
My appreciation of Pulisic is colored ever so slightly by my seeing him almost single-handedly defeat Liverpool in the pre-season friendly in Charlotte.
Humm, so he shone in a friendly, in marketing county, which was played without WC participants and 9 subs each at half time, him being the only one on the pitch who gave a horses *** about a win, and maybe even assisted by some friendly advice from a Nike representative to friend, foe and ref to let the local hero look good if the opportunity arose?

Nah he's a promising prospect, but currently rightfully regarded to be player #15 or #16 in the BVB squad, recently been passed by 3-4 players his age or younger. Decent player with potential, but far away from being a world beater.

Last edited by martl; 01-08-2019 at 08:39 AM.