PDA

View Full Version : oregon manifest

bicycletricycle
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
i dont know how many of people here have checked out the oregon manifest website but i was wondering what bike you guys would have voted for.

http://oregonmanifest.com/constructors/

the competition was for the best utility bike.

i like the ira ryan and the chapman. a lot of bikes looked a little bulky for every day usage but what do i know?

Wilkinson4
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I like the Chapman. The Boxer I kinda like too minus the front seating:D

mIKE

xjahx
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I love Ira's work.

I am a fan of the boys from Geekhouse. Retrotec also...

Those would be my top 3 but mostly out of appreciation for their work overall.

jr59
10-03-2011, 06:02 AM
I've been following the Retrotec from the beginning of it.

I really do like this show. The idea that it's a utility show bike, that is not only judged by looks, but by field testing is IMO very cool.

Me trying to be car free, I like the idea of these bikes.
Race bikes and rando bikes are great, but at times you need something different.

I also wish the judges, would have released their notes on judging.
I know Ira's bike was DQed from the start. (no kick stand).

bigflax925
10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Some pretty cool bikes.

For me, it's a toss up between the Retrotec and the Ahearne. That's some artistry!

jeffreyt
10-03-2011, 09:54 AM
I think that there is a lot of interesting ideas and a lot of quality work on display. I'm not sure that I would want to ride them all or that they would even ride well. I tend to like the bikes that actually look like you can ride them easily. Saying that... my favorite 5 would be: Ryan, Sizemore, Chapman, d’Autremont, and Pereira.

bicycletricycle
10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
too bad about the ryan being kicked out because of kickstand, he should have run to a shop and picked up a greenfield.

gendo
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I asked Ira about the why no kickstand when I was helping out during the field test. Ira basically said something to the effect that he has always had trouble following the rules. I respect that. He said he built the kind of bike that made sense to him. Something you could carry up the stairs to your third floor apt. if necessary. I loaded his bike for transport to the the start and he said it could ride on top of all the others as it was the lightest in the test. I would have to agree by at least 5 pounds. It was the bike I would have most wanted to own minus the canti's.

UOross
10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Would have to say the Geekhouse, IRA Ryan, and Frances get my vote/swoons...

Glad to see some innovative/new designs thrown around

Fixed
10-08-2011, 06:24 PM
cool ideas all of them
i like this carry stuff i think
but this is my favorite

ben_san
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Frances! The Ira Ryan is also very nice. Not sure what to think of the Pereira...

d.vader123
10-08-2011, 06:58 PM
What do you guys think about the Folk Engineering bicycle. They are a NJ-based bike company.

I liked it.

slowpoke
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm curious what the front kick-stand/table legs are for on the Folk. Also, wonder if the holes on the front-tack are big enough for coffee cups.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Frances, but maybe it's because I'm into cargo bikes as of late. I wasn't a fan of the winning collaboration by IDEO x Rock Lobster even though I like each firm individually. While a motor-powered bike will entice more people to commute on two wheels, I feel something about the spirit of pedaling is lost (htfu!). And also, I wonder how much of a load it can carry compared to say the Frances (http://oregonmanifest.com/constructor/frances-cycles/) or Retrotec (http://oregonmanifest.com/constructor/retrotecinglis-cycles/).