PDA

View Full Version : possible to rebuild campy QS ergopower controls into ultrashift?

pavel
06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I have a pair of Veloce QS shifters (1 down, 3 up) that I would like to convert into the normal 'ultrashift' style. Is this possible with a rebuild kit, or is it more trouble then its worth? I actually have another set of carbon ultra shift levers, but this is going to be on a commuter bike and I'd rather use alloy ones - just not the QS crap.

Dave
06-24-2011, 04:41 PM
The short answer is no. There is no similarity between the new ultrashift mechanism and the old escape mechanism. It's the escape mechanism that makes it impossible to shift more than 1 cog smaller at a time, not QS. QS is merely a reduction in the dead travel from the left finger lever.

pavel
06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I know that the mechanisms are totally different, so I guess a better question is - can one completely swap out the "guts" since the bodies are the same? Can you even buy the internals?

Dave
06-24-2011, 05:06 PM
The bodies are NOT the same. Campy no longer sells many of the individual small parts for repairs. They prefer to sell major assemblies, which include everything except the brake lever, band clamp and brake hood.

Go to www.campagnolo.com and check out the spare parts PDF files.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Grab a set of Veloce US's used (sell the QS's, always fetch at least a C-note, unless trashed). I've seen a few on the block on this forum (and CL) for $100-ish. Probably not much more cash, and much less hassle than a refurb.

ultraman6970
06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Ain't this Escape??? QS is something else.

+1 with the last poster.

I have a pair of Veloce QS shifters (1 down, 3 up) .

Dekonick
06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Ask Old Potato

He would be your best source of information.

Ralph
06-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I got nothing against "Escape". I never need to dump all the cogs at once. And QS seems like a good idea, although I don't think it's much different than previous left shifter.

Ask Shimano folks how they have done without the "dump" feature all these years. Ask the last TDF winner how he managed to win without the "dump" feature.

Both my Campy rigs have the "dump" feature, but I never shift that way. One has new style hoods, one older style hoods. It's not a deal breaker to me. I would rather have the newer hoods with down model Powershift (Veloce, Centaur, Athena) than older hood Record/Chorus shifters with the Dump feature.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Ask Old Potato

He would be your best source of information.

If ya ain't gonna spell my name right, I'm not gonna answer(potatoE)..

Kidding

What has been answered is correct. Ultrashift innards and bodies are different than Powershift innards and bodies. 2007/8 Centaur and below shifter innards(Escape, Xenon based) are different than Record/Chorus of those 2 years and all other ERGO previously. If ya got a shifter that can go to a higher gear one at a time(smaller cog=higher gear) with the thumb button, that's all it's ever gonna do.

BUT it's not a big deal to me either. I haven't won a sprint for........gee never!

And it wasn't because of my shifters.

FlashUNC
06-26-2011, 07:32 AM
If ya ain't gonna spell my name right, I'm not gonna answer(potatoE)..

Kidding

What has been answered is correct. Ultrashift innards and bodies are different than Powershift innards and bodies. 2007/8 Centaur and below shifter innards(Escape, Xenon based) are different than Record/Chorus of those 2 years and all other ERGO previously. If ya got a shifter that can go to a higher gear one at a time(smaller cog=higher gear) with the thumb button, that's all it's ever gonna do.

BUT it's not a big deal to me either. I haven't won a sprint for........gee never!

And it wasn't because of my shifters.

+1. Used the Veloce Escape shifters on my primary bike for two years. Always worked great and never had any complaints.