PDA

View Full Version : Having a sense of humor...priceless

Dave B
06-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Ladies and gents I would say one of the best attributes to have is a sense of humor. As a school teacher, I have the added benefit of practicing said sense of humor daily as I work with 6th graders. I have finished my 10th year of this and trust me my inability to be serious irritates most of my family, whilst also making for great fun.

So let us take a fun little trip and I hope I can provide a chuckle or two.

Yesterday I was eagerly awaiting my recent serotta purchase from Bill (Happycamper) of his MeiVici. I have never owned a bike like this and was a bit nervous as I haven't considered a Serotta for years (foolishly so). The bike got here fine and it has blown my expectations for what a bike can be purely on looks and craftsmanship.

So while waiting I decide to go for a mtb ride as I do love the empty trails that my summer schedule allows me. I pack up the 29er and head to our local trail. Remember it is Indiana and central Indiana at that so mountains are around 10 to 15 feet. This is like a short track trail I use my cross bike on to fly around. It is fun, finally open and with newly created/built trails!

So after two laps and several crashes as my handling skills have taken a huge loss in accuracy during the winter months I head out for lap three. I am tired and to be honest trying to find fitness again...I say again because there was a time in my life I remember being close to fit. i saw it once in a diner, but never was able to meet it.

So on lap three the farthest place from the car I flatted. No biggie, I'll pull out another tube, fix it and head back. Hmmmm wait no tube in here. Ok let me find my patch kit...crap it is on the Hampsten hanging in the garage.

Any duct tape...nope.

well crap looks like a nice few mile walk back. No big deal, but in Sidis it is almost criminal.

So I walk for a few miles pushing the bike through mosquito infested swamp land. get back to the car and head home with kind of a grin and a bit of a chip on my shoulder. Make sure I pack tubes and patch kit for next time.

So I get home and bike boxes are on the porch. fantastic! Bring them into he basement shop, go up stairs and cool down and take a shower.

So about 30 minutes later I am cooled down and in the basement with a box knife unwrapping what has to be one of the most beautiful road bikes I have ever seen. I'll post it up in a couple of days as i work out the details. I am being extra careful as I don't want to scratch anything.

I begin to put in the Ritchey post and it doesn't want to go in easily and it gets a bit stuck. So I have a allow post somewhere I can use for build until I put a saddle on the ritchey. So I begin to try and get the Ritchey post out and with al my might get it to pop free...right between my eyes so hard that I take a step back and am a wee bit dizzy...I kid you not it took me a few minutes to not see stars and to collect my thoughts.

Typical me I begin to laugh as that is kind of how i deal with pain. Awkward I know, but oh well. So after about 40 minutes my beautiful wife comes home and knows I am in the basement working on the bike as creeps down to surprise me. She pops out to startle me and gasps as she looks at me. "Oh my God honey are you ok?" I aks her to look at the bike and she says I am bleeding. Apparently I hit myself so hard with the top of the post I split the skin between my eye and have bleed all over my face. She is freaking out and begins to laugh as I do explaining what i did. She calls me an idiot and heads to get me a towel.

I explain my day to her, which cause us both to laugh a bit harder. The blood has stained the collar of my shirt so I begin to take it off and I here her say wow. Well stupid me I think she is having a moment seeing me take my shirt off and I think to myself, thank lord for having an awesome wife.

Then just when I am about to get all big headed she adds to the wow, "What is wrong with you?" ummm, ok sexy just went bye bye.

She says to look at my right arm in the mirror. So I go upstairs while she is continuing to laugh and there must be oh 17 to 100 mosquito bites on my arm from walking the bike out of the trail today.

So apparently I didn't get woozy from the knock to the head, but the gallon of blood those crappy bugs drained from me.

So here i sit, developing a small black eye from punching myself in the face with the top of a Ritchey seat post, with a right arm covered in the onslaught invasion of bug bites waiting for the rain to stop so I can go ride a bike with carbon wheels for the first time. I figured it was good to wait for the rain to end so that I don't try to stop the bike going downhill into traffic and not be able to on my first ride! You know with the great luck I have going in the last 24 hours.

Folks, sometimes sleeping in can be the best medicine!

Have a great Thursday! :beer:

sbparker31
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
But not too sorry. If I had my own MeiVici I might really feel sorry for you.

One time when I was a kid, I was playing with a toilet plunger (I know what you're thinking, but I was easily entertained). I was plunging it down on a linoleum floor, and then trying to pull it off against the suction. On one prodigious pull, the handle shot up and got me in the forehead. Ever since then sight of toilet plunger brings on PTSD symptoms. . .

SEABREEZE
06-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Your story reminds me of how my cousin use to slap himself in the back of his head for doing stupid things......

crownjewelwl
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
prez...i had 153 mosquito bites...u aint got nothin on me!

my wife and i both had a pretty good laugh about it...until i tried to go to sleep that night...

d_douglas
06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
One time my somewhat uncoordinated wife (then girlfriend) was pretending to box and punch me NEAR my face - she misjudged the distance and hit me between the eyes.

I saw stars and she felt terrible but in the end we were both laughing - I knew that it was a complete accident.

I still bring it up from time to time when I want to make her feel bad :).

D

AngryScientist
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
good story prez, i agree fully that having a good sense of humor and knowing how trivial most problems in our life are is critical. good on you for keeping your cool. cant wait to see the new bike built up. :beer:

Joachim
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the laugh this morning! No matter in what shape you are in, there is still a MeiVici in your basement....

roguedog
06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Um.. is that the moment when you knew she was the one :D

One time my somewhat uncoordinated wife (then girlfriend) was pretending to box and punch me NEAR my face - she misjudged the distance and hit me between the eyes.

Mr P - awesome story. Thanks for the T-day kick off. Musta been something in the air. At least you and Elephantino weren't riding together. Heh.

Ti Designs
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
After not very much thought, I've come to the conclusion that the people I like to ride with isn't about speed or skill or age, it's about the sense of humor. If you don't have a sense of direction, it helps to have a sense of humor...

wooly
06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Great story Pres. Nothing like a self inflicted knock out! You must me a picture of health right now.

I agree with your humor comments. You need to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while.

Jack Brunk
06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Your the man Dave. Congrats on the Serotta.

cdn_bacon
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Great Share.... you need a Flaky.

skijoring
06-09-2011, 11:48 AM
You and Elefantino shouldn't go ride together...at least not this week. :D

SpeedyChix
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for sharing that batch of 'joy'.
Congrats on the new bike.

Elefantino
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
We need to do this in threes.

Someone needs to step forward and be stupid.

Warning: Blood and ridicule may be involved.

Bruce K
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey Pres..... we need to share stories from the 6th gradde classroom.

These folks would never believe some of the stuff we here and see every day. :eek:

Example:

"Mr. K., what's a pedophile?" :eek: (Triggering instant teacher brain freeze :crap: )

Girl in the front row, "That's easy. It's a nail file for your feet!" :help:

BK

Clydesdale
06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Pres I'm sitting here laughing out loud while my wife gives me that same "what's wrong with you look." I needed that today - thanks for sharing it.

Dave B
06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey Pres..... we need to share stories from the 6th gradde classroom.

These folks would never believe some of the stuff we here and see every day. :eek:

Example:

"Mr. K., what's a pedophile?" :eek: (Triggering instant teacher brain freeze :crap: )

Girl in the front row, "That's easy. It's a nail file for your feet!" :help:

BK

Man I think we should sit down a write a book to fund some bike stuff.

If I have to hear another kid tell me that an octopus has 8 testicles and expect me to keep a straight face...or when your principal gets on the school wide intercom and tells the boys who are bouncing basketballs in the hallway to stay in line and hold their balls.

Yeah teaching is better then paying for a comedy club. Even the language is the same! :beer:

Dekonick
06-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Remember the show from the 70's? Kids say the dernedest things... or something like that... I think it was hosted by Bill Cosby...

rdparadise
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Mr Pres...

Was that the SE and AE from HappyCamper?

Bob

rounder
06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
When i talk to my co-workers, none of them seem to ever experience problems like this. Maybe there is something wrong with riding these stupid bikes. You spent how much for that bike ???

happycampyer
06-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Dave, that was funny, but nowhere near as funny as your story about gluing a set of tubulars for the first time. Did you ever post that here? I was in tears laughing at that one!

Glad that you finally showed the post who's boss (or at least learned to let it cool off before trying to insert it ;))!!

happycampyer
06-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Mr Pres...

Was that the SE and AE from HappyCamper?

BobThat was the GS (that I got from mattiewhite here a while back). The SE with the kelly green Indy panels (that I got from grosmerou here a little further back) is still in my possession, but will also be looking for a new home now that a proper custom for me has arrived.

legacysti888
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Mr. President,

I really needed this laugh. Thank you so much for ending my day with a good hearty laugh. :D

I absolutely love my Meivici and will most likely never let it go.

Tell us more about your M soon and how it's going to be built up!

Dave B
06-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Dave, that was funny, but nowhere near as funny as your story about gluing a set of tubulars for the first time. Did you ever post that here? I was in tears laughing at that one!

Glad that you finally showed the post who's boss (or at least learned to let it cool off before trying to insert it ;))!!

Yeah that was a fun time. I don't think I posted it here and the blog I used to write is gone. Not sure if I posted it on the Moots forum years ago, but if you find it let me know.

I might rewrite that one, but I will have to try and remember what a complete moron I was.

rdparadise
06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
That was the GS (that I got from mattiewhite here a while back). The SE with the kelly green Indy panels (that I got from grosmerou here a little further back) is still in my possession, but will also be looking for a new home now that a proper custom for me has arrived.

That's the one I was most interested in. Send me a pm with your asking price again please.

Bob