PDA

View Full Version : Single speed ride

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I went out yesterday for my first 'serious' ss ride on this beauty:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84917
Just under 30 miles over rolling terrain with 42 x 16 gearing. On the way out, I was passed by some collegiate racer boys who did a double take at the bike, passed a number of other cyclists, one of whom said "You're my hero!" and generally enjoyed the tailwind. On the way back in, on a 2 lane countrty road, I passed a big tractor followed by a 'chase' truck going up a hill. He could manage about 15 mph up hills and about 22 mph down and about 20 mph on the flats. Once by him, I decided I wanted to keep him behind me, so I busted it home against a headwind. After 8 miles, I had pulled about 200 yards in front. I waved at him as I turned off. He turned off, too and followed me the last few miles home. As I was pulling into my driveway, the tractor appeared. Turns out it was my neighbor who was returning from a job. He told me he was at full throttle trying to push me, but I was going just a bit too fast for him to pass. He even tried calling my cell phone so I would lose my rhythm and he could pass. We had a good laugh about that.
40 miles planned today and I hope no 'helpful' neighbors.

Matt-H
03-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Great story! I can picture that whole scenario having been in and around your town a few times. Awesome frame, too.

AngryScientist
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
great story Steve, great looking bike too. i assume you got the headset notchy-ness sorted out?

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, guys.
Yes, AS, I realized the prev owner had used 2 different headsets to cobble one together. He must not have ridden it afterwards. I used some parts bin stuff from GuyGadous and it's nice and smooth now.

xjoex
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Somehow in my mind this all took place in Breaking Away...

-Joe

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I was sort of thinking that as it was happening.
I had another Breaking Away tractor moment a couple of months ago: I was riding along a 1-3% upgrade (towards Lopez Lake for the locals) and was passed by a farm tractor going about 5 mph faster than me. I pulled in behind him and rode his draft for ~3 miles. The driver kept looking back and smiling. He gave me good warning when he was going to turn off and a friendly wave as I passed, and another as I rode by him returning down the road. Fun times.

Fixed
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
cool ride beautiful bike tell penny hi
cheers