PDA

View Full Version : remember that Kirk with green tubes and white lugs?

eddief
02-01-2004, 08:05 PM
I thought that was one of the creamiest paint jobs I'd ever seen. Whose was that? Let's see a photo of the built bike please.

Thanks

SBash
02-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Eddie

I believe that was Dave's ( dnovo ) and Pics on the custom bike section. What a beauty!

eddief
02-01-2004, 09:21 PM
the one I am speaking of had the very thin/simple lugs and was painted a creamy green with white lugs. Dave's is the one with quite fancy lugs and more emerald green tubes.

dave thompson
02-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Eddie:

Here: <http://www.kirkframeworks.com/Photo%20Gallery%203.htm>

It belongs to Climb01742

dnovo
02-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Correct, and quite interesting to note that they are both 'car colors.' My "Fancy Kirk" is painted in a British Racing Green - not an emerald green -- with what is known as 'antique white' lugs. (The true colors didn't come through 100% on the reduced size shots in the Image Gallery.) There are various iterations of what is generically called BRG, but Cycle Fantasy (a former Ferrari restorer) knew what I wanted, taken from a 1950s Jaguar paint book. Jim's bike ("Climb") is patterned after a 1950s Mercedes mint green and more stark white. Again, Cycle Fantasy hits a home run with that color scheme, which I will gladly plagarize when I get a chance as it it outstanding and the bike is a stunner. Dave N.

Climb01742
02-02-2004, 08:33 AM
yep, i believe frame in question is mine. built by david kirk. the lugs are "thong" lugs, a minimalist take on classic lugs. and dave n. has a very good memory. the color choice was inspired by a vintage mercedes color, called celedon. the folks at cycle fantasy did a beautiful job. up close, there isn't a drop of paint out of place. every edge is perfectly masked off. thank you, eddie, for kind words. kudos go to mr kirk and cycle fantasy.

eddief
02-02-2004, 08:38 AM
The whole purpose of tracking you down was to be able to see a photo of the beauty built up. When do we get to see it?

Climb01742
02-02-2004, 08:46 AM
eddie,
weather here has been terrible. that frame, she is beautiful. so short answer is: spring. sand, salt, snow, grime shall never touch that baby. i'm abusing other bikes now. tho yesterday it hit a whooping 32 here. two hour outside ride felt like summer.
climb.

eddief
02-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Maybe a silly question for the middle of winter, but I'm still intrigued with your color combo. Have you considered what color bar tape you might install that goes well with green and white?

djg
02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Sweet looking bike, by the way.

"Celadon, a famous type of ancient Chinese stoneware, came into being during the period of the Five Dynasties (907-960). It is characterized by simple but refined shapes , jade-like glaze, solid substance and a distinctive style. As the celadon ware produced in Longquan County, Zhejiang Province, is most valued, so it is also generally called longquan qingci."

"Its Chinese name, qingci, means "greenish porcelain." Why then is it known in the West as "celadon?" Celadon was the hero of the French writer Honore d'Urfe's romance L'Astrée (1610), the lover of the heroine Astrée. He was presented as a young man in green and his dress became all the rage in Europe. And it was just about this time that the Chinese qingci made its debut in Paris and won acclaim. People compared its colour to Celadon's suit and started to call the porcelain "celadon," a name which has stuck and spread to other Countries."

Climb01742
02-02-2004, 10:16 AM
eddie,
my kirk frames have dave's grey kirk logos, so a cinelli grey tape. part of the challenge in building up such a pretty frame is wanting all the components to be the right color. in this case, as much silver as possible. getting all the right bits, in the right size and color, isn't always easy.
climb.