PDA

View Full Version : Technique recommendations for single speed

2LeftCleats
11-11-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm asking for some suggestions from coaches and other knowledgeable folks on this forum.

I am peripherally involved with a cycling team at Indiana University. There is an annual bike race, the Little 5, that consists of 200 laps (men) and 100 laps (women) on a cinder 1/4 mile oval. The bikes are single speed with coaster brakes and platform pedals. No toe clips. The better teams consist of riders who train year round. Many are on road teams during the summer. Most do a periodized training program involving base miles in the fall, weight training during the year, lots of hours on the bike, sprinting drills, etc. Many use exercise physiologists to guide team and individual workouts. My specific question relates to improving pedalling technique on bikes without clipped shoes. Only rubber-soled shoes allowed.

Any thoughts/sugggestions?

learlove
11-11-2010, 08:22 AM
downhill sprints - your on a single speed so it is about power and leg speed. A good workout for sprint training days would be to find a slightly downhill sloping road and do some 200/500/1000 meter sprints in and out of the saddle. Search the internet for Keirin training, these guys do steep downhill sprints for leg speed but they are on fixed gear bikes.

Also your race (little 500) is basically a criterium with a single speed so any of the videos like Chris Charmichael's Criterium/Speed/Power workouts will help.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.1108098/it.A/id.477/.f

don't forget about team tactics - both riding and switching riders

AngryScientist
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
coaster brakes!

i would definitely work on cadence, what gearing do these bikes run?

flickwet
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Try something to make the shoe- pedal interface sticky as possible, your cadence could get real extreme if you wanna win and you wanna keep those feet on the pedals

fiamme red
11-11-2010, 08:49 AM
My specific question relates to improving pedalling technique on bikes without clipped shoes. Only rubber-soled shoes allowed.

Any thoughts/sugggestions?Duct tape their shoes to the pedals. Isn't that what they did in Breaking Away? ;)

Ti Designs
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
I hear that drafting Cinzano trucks on the highway in the small chainring is a good start...

Seriously, the first step is to get out on a grass field and play bumper bikes with your teammates. When you start doing this you'll notice that your tendency is to back off on the pedals as you make contact with another rider. In the race that means you get shot out the back, despite all your training.