PDA

View Full Version : sick day ride

thwart
11-09-2010, 06:35 PM
OK. Just seeking the group's consensus... a similarly bike addicted bunch.

Spent last night with chills and sweats, belly cramps, then several episodes of diarrhea and terrible muscle aches and weakness. Probably food poisoning. Got up this morning, couldn't eat and felt feverish. Called in sick.

As the day went on I began to feel a little better... still muscle aches and nausea but at least somewhat human. No fever.

Today was a rare November weather day here in America's Dairyland. 66 degrees with bright sun and only a light breeze. Glorious day. By 2 PM I felt I could ride a bit. Did a slow 20 miler (took 90 minutes). Yes... with a good supply of TP... not needed. Yes, I did stick to the back roads.

What would you do in the same circumstances?

1) I would have done an even longer ride. Wimp.

2) No way would I ride on a sick day. Probably not good for you... and a co-worker may see you.

3) Why not---if you felt a little better, you're good to go. Would've done the same.

4) If you felt well enough to ride, you should've gone into work. Slacker.

97CSI
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
That's the problem with being retired......... no sick days, no days off, can't vote in polls like this one....... But, there is definitely an upside. :banana:

chuckroast
11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Put me firmly in the why not category. You were sick in the morning, called in for the day, felt better in the afternoon. The day was already a write off at work, your time was yours.

oliver1850
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM

johnnymossville
11-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Put me firmly in the why not category. You were sick in the morning, called in for the day, felt better in the afternoon. The day was already a write off at work, your time was yours.

Nice touch waiting until the afternoon to ride. Wouldn't wanna be obvious right? :)

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Sick only above the neck? . . . Ride. :)

Sick below the neck? . . . Rest. :(

They call it "being sick" for a reason.

BBD

onekgguy
11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
My take is entirely different as I've been known to call in sick only to go riding. I'm the one vote (so far) who called you a wimp. Sorry.

Kevin g

rugbysecondrow
11-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Sick only above the neck? . . . Ride. :)

Sick below the neck? . . . Rest. :(

They call it "being sick" for a reason.

BBD
Live to fight another day. If I am sick, I want to ensure I get better, so would likely have taken the dogs for a walk, but not ridden. If I felt better and confident it was just something I ate, then I might have. Hard to say. I really enjoy riding, but I have plenty of noncycling things I can enjoy also so I don't feel pressure to ride if I am ill.

Ralph
11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
That's the problem with being retired......... no sick days, no days off, can't vote in polls like this one....... But, there is definitely an upside. :banana:

Same here. If I don't feel good, I don't ride. But, being retired and living in Florida, I can ride about anytime I want to. Miles and miles of 14' wide trails or rural roads. No problem making up exercise days.

In your situation and locale, I might have done what you did.

AngryScientist
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
ride!

if the stomach is still feeling a bit off though, wear shorts, not bibs, trust me on this one. :banana: