PDA

View Full Version : art of hoarding

etu
11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
i've noticed that my favorite saddle is on closeout at one of the larger web-retailers. thinking of stocking up on a few more in case they stop making them.

also i am resisting the change to campy 11 speed, but have not stocked up on any 10 speed cassettes or chains. i know the ergolevers can be rebuilt and the derailers seem to last a while.

how do you approach the problem of products being phased out? how many years of supply do you stock up on if you go this route?

i figure saddles should last several years so having one extra per bike should set up me for a good decade. what about drive chains. average 4-5K per year, so if i want to stay with the current setup for next 5 years do i need to buy 10 chains and 3-4 cassettes? :confused:

Ken Robb
11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
If your saddles have padding it may deteriorate just from age even when stored in a box.

AngryScientist
11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
you dont need to stock up on anything at this point IMO. 10 speed cassettes are still very widely available, in centaur and below, and they;re still making 10-sp components, so i wouldnt worry about that. (and IMO, centaur cassettes work just as well as chorus or record, at a fraction of the price). ditto on chains.

actually i'm running a DA chain on my 10-sp campy rig, forced to buy one at my lbs, shifts perfectly.

saddle is another story. you may want to pick up a few of those if they're cheap money, though probably not necessary if they havent definitely discontinued it.

that said, i've always got a few spares of everything in my basement.

eddief
11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
28.6 front derailleurs that don't require shims. i like the right clamp for the specified tube size.

Pegoready
11-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I've given up on hoarding. With eBay and NOS stashes left and right thanks to the internet everything will be available for a long time.

I figure if I have to pay double for something rare 10 years from now, it's worth it to not have to lug it as baggage just because I got a good deal today.

chromopromo
11-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Hoarding is bad. I stocked up on 9 speed shimano thinking I would keep running it on all my bikes. Next thing I know I buy a 10 speed group because well it has 10 speeds. And now like a true hoarder my 9 speed stuff sits in a box.

Ti Designs
11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Step 1 - when to hoard: When one standard is being replaced, as the new standard catches on there is a point where the prices drop like a rock. If you play it right you should be seeing greater than 50% savings. In many cases people will upgrade and keep their older stuff around thinking they'll use it. A year later it's free 'cause they're sick of keeping it around.

Step 2 - what to hoard: There are some things that just don't wear out, other things do. How many cranks have you worn out? How 'bout chains? Stock up on chains, cassettes and brake pads. Go lighter on derailleurs, headsets (yes, I run a 9-speed headset) and bottom brackets.

Step 3 - stick to the plan: If 9-speed is enough, it'll be enough next year, in 5 years, in 10 years... If you're the type who has to try the new stuff, don't bother.

Ken Robb
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Hoarding is bad. I stocked up on 9 speed shimano thinking I would keep running it on all my bikes. Next thing I know I buy a 10 speed group because well it has 10 speeds. And now like a true hoarder my 9 speed stuff sits in a box.

Yeah, but think of the profit you can make selling that stuff to pegoready in 10 years. :D

bfd
11-09-2010, 04:40 PM
So, is it worth hording? Don't know. I have the following in my garage that may or may not be worth anything:

Used 32h Campy Chorus rear hub in very good condition
Used DA seatpost model 7410? - fair condition
Used Campy Chorus 9 ergo shifters - very good condition; needs new hoods
Used DA single pivot brakeset with new pads
Used Salsa cro-moly threadless stem - w/o removable faceplate
Used Campy Chorus 9 rear der
Used Campy Racing T triple ft der
Used Campy Record 9 crankset

Several DA hub wheelsets

I know there's more, it is a sickness.... :eek:

chromopromo
11-09-2010, 04:52 PM
So, is it worth hording? Don't know. I have the following in my garage that may or may not be worth anything:

Several DA hub wheelsets

A new sickness for me -- I like those 7410 seatposts.

54ny77
11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Likewise.

That's not hoarding. That's "collecting."

:banana:

I new sickness for me -- I like those 7410 seatposts.

thwart
11-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Used DA single pivot brakeset with new pads
Used Salsa cro-moly threadless stem - w/o removable faceplate
Used Campy Chorus 9 rear der
Used Campy Racing T triple ft der
Used Campy Record 9 crankset

Several DA hub wheelsets

I love it... see, the hoarder in me wants to PM you about that Chorus hub. I'm likely not the only one...

Must resist... resist... ;)

Frankwurst
11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
My biggest problem with hoarding is lack of space. I'm running out of it. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
11-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Hording is a pretty irrational act. Sure, buy consumables when they are on sale (tires, tubes, chains etc) but brifters, cranksets, seatposts (?) etc make little sense to me. If you need something, post a WTB ad, look on Craigslist or Ebay or (AGHAST) go to your local shop to see if they have the part.

Cut the crap loose, clean out the house and make a little scratch.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=etu]i've noticed that my favorite saddle is on closeout at one of the larger web-retailers. thinking of stocking up on a few more in case they stop making them.

also i am resisting the change to campy 11 speed, but have not stocked up on any 10 speed cassettes or chains. i know the ergolevers can be rebuilt and the derailers seem to last a while.

how do you approach the problem of products being phased out? how many years of supply do you stock up on if you go this route?

Keep in mind that Campagnolo is still making 8s cogsets. 10s is still in production and has been for 11 years. I don't think Campagnolo 10s cogsets are going to go away soon. Any 10s chain will work on Campagnolo 10s but Campagnolo is still making 9s chains, even tho 9s went away in 2001. 11s front and rear derailleurs work just fine with older 10s ERGO also, for info.

veloduffer
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I hoard parts that are no longer readily available. There is an art to hoarding and I keep a few select things:

Saddles - Vetta SP & SL, the poor man's Ti Flite saddle and one of the most comfortable; reasonably light too. Once you find a good saddle, you should really latch onto a few. Trial and error with new saddles gets expensive.

Quill stems - prices have gone up on these if they are NOS. I've got several 3TT stems in various lengths.

Cranks - I'm still holding onto a few Ritchey Logic compact and triple cranks - the nice silver, cold forged ones with really low Q-factor. Now I've got to be mindful on bottom brackets.

Handlebars 26.0 - got a few 3TTT Morphes, kind of the early compact/shallow bar and similar to Nitto Noodle.

DonH
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM

My thoughts exactly......although I will admit to having a couple of those Dura-Ace 7410 seatposts that I just cannot bring myself to sell.

bfd
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Hording is a pretty irrational act. Sure, buy consumables when they are on sale (tires, tubes, chains etc) but brifters, cranksets, seatposts (?) etc make little sense to me. If you need something, post a WTB ad, look on Craigslist or Ebay or (AGHAST) go to your local shop to see if they have the part.

Lighten up, Frances! Most of my parts are leftovers from a bike I built up in 2009.

Further, for those of you who think I'm "collecting," forget it. All of the parts are USED, some well-used, and definitely not in collector's condition, i.e., mint/NOS/perfect.

Moreover, since I'm still running 9 speed, it is my understanding that the parts are not easy to find cheap, especially Campy. For example, I don't know what the market rate is for a used Chorus 9 ergo shifters that need new hoods and probably rate a 7/10. My 32h Chorus rear hub was buildup, used for probably 1K miles before the rim cracked and I took it apart. Since it is used, I would guess may be 8/10. worth what? Definitely not something a "collector" would pay big bucks!

Similarly, my DA seatpost is well-used, has tons of scratches and is probably in a 5/10 condition. Same thing with my DA single pivot brakes, although I have several new brake pads for it. What's it worth?

Of course, if you want to put up some big bucks for my stuff, I would be happy to listen!

Otherwise, if you don't have the room or like "hording," "storing," or "collecting" used parts, then sell it. Since it is not taking up room in my house and I don't need the money, unless I get a nice offer :), I have no problem hanging on to it. Good Luck!

rugbysecondrow
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Lighten up, Frances! Most of my parts are leftovers from a bike I built up in 2009.

Further, for those of you who think I'm "collecting," forget it. All of the parts are USED, some well-used, and definitely not in collector's condition, i.e., mint/NOS/perfect.

Moreover, since I'm still running 9 speed stuff, it is my understanding that the stuff is not easy to find cheap, especially Campy. For example, I don't know what the market rate is used Chorus 9 ergo shifters that need need hoods and probably rate 7/10. My 32h Chorus rear hub was buildup, used for probably 1K miles before the rim cracked and I took it apart. Since it is used, I would guess may be 8/10. worth what? Definitely not something a "collector" would pay big bucks!

Similarly, my DA seatpost is well-used, has tons of scratches and is probably in a 5/10 condition. Same thing with my DA single pivot brakes, although I have several new brake pads for it. What's it worth?

Of course, if you want to put up some big bucks for my stuff, I would be happy to listen!

Otherwise, if you don't have the room or like "hording," "storing," or "collecting" used parts, then sell it. Since it is not taking up room in my house and I don't need the money, unless I get a nice offer :), I have no problem hanging on to it. Good Luck!

Sounds more like a defense than an explaination. ;)

Frankly, everybody likely has some parts kicking around, but the value is up to the individual. If you have a big giant box of used goods that are important for you to keep and a big giant place to put that box, then more power to you. For me, I like to get the **** out of my house. They are just bike parts and they ALL can be replaced if I ever feel the need to have that specific item.

I have this discussion with my wife often. When we travel from Maryland to Illinois to visit family, she wants to pack the whole house, Diapers, Wipes, food...everything for the whole trip (7-10 days). Everytime I have to explain to her that there are these places called "Stores" that sell these goods. These stores are located all over the country and we can buy this stuff when we get there...she is a hoarder.

With a 1 and a 4 year old, less is often more.

Sincerely,

Frances. :)

CPP
11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I would love to hear the comments from the professional shrinks amongst this forum on the profile of a hoarder!
I was/am one and consider it to be one of my many character flaws. So please all you Doctors out there....enlighten us!!!
I hope no one is offended by the word "shrink"

DonH
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=veloduffer]
Cranks - I'm still holding onto a few Ritchey Logic compact and triple cranks - the nice silver, cold forged ones with really low Q-factor. Now I've got to be mindful on bottom brackets.
QUOTE]

Those cranks are beautiful - I sold a set 3 years ago during a big 'purge' of parts I had hoarded.

dana_e
11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I am guilty.

I have been good about thinning the herd lately, but still gots lots of stuff.

It does make getting new frames easier, you got the parts already.

I am a sucker for close out campagnolo.

Most likely will od the garage sale thing. Have not resorted to EBay.

Worst sin so far: I have 3 pair of Centaur Carbon Square Taper Cranks.

At one point they were 99 bucks on nashbar and I had a 20% off coupon

They have the really nice old scool cut chainrings. I figured they were worth it just for the rings.

sixfootbrit
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I would definitely stock up. I have lost track of how many times I have kicked myself when an old favorite disappears forever. (I have two unopened sets of Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters, now that's hoarding!)

spacemen3
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Handlebars 26.0 - got a few 3TTT Morphes, kind of the early compact/shallow bar and similar to Nitto Noodle.
I'll gladly buy those from you if you ever decide to part with them.

I haven't yet heard a strong reason for me not to hoard Stronglight cranksets and Moser framesets. ;)

Peter P.
11-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I can't afford to stockpile parts to ward off obsolescence. I merely rely on the market making parts available to repair or replace what's broken or worn out. When I can no longer find what I need, it's a reasonable excuse to to justify buying into and enjoying new technology without the guilt that I'm just squandering my money on new toys. Otherwise, I'd likely NEVER upgrade.

rounder
11-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I just sold some Shimano 600 parts for practically nothing. I had no plan to use them. Had no idea what they were worth, but believe they were not valuable. To me, it was worth it to just give the stuff to someone who could make use of the parts and be happy with them. Hope it happens to me sometime.

victoryfactory
11-13-2010, 06:21 AM
1. Identify target item

2. Wait until it is discontinued (it won't take long)

3. ebay, stock up for cheap after everyone unloads them for the latest stuff.

The real problems come in when the whole platform changes and you are stuck
with needing a new frame that accommodates all yer 1" forks, 27.2 seatposts
and 26mm bars and stems. Then you may be forced into early
retro-grouch-ment.

Prediction from the not so distant future:
Did you hear about the "new" 135mm rear wheel spacing for the latest
12 speed cassettes? Might as well get a whole new frame cause you will need the
1-1/2" headset and 32mm seatpost and 70mm BB anyway.
Oh yeah, need that new wheelset too.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Likewise.

That's not hoarding. That's "collecting."

:banana:
Yep, collecting. At least that's what we tell the wives.