PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5K?

joelh
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I am thinking of starting to run to round out my riding and (hopefully) increase my endurance. I have never run much at all. I found this training program and downloaded the app. Anyone successfully use it?

I did the first walk/run this morning and found it pretty easy. I am guessing that my relatively decent fitness level will help with the first couple of weeks but that it will get a lot harder after that.

Volant
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
If you've been riding regularly, you should be able to jog a 5k now. Racing a 5k is an entirely different matter!

henrypretz
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
You can do it!

I started running before the Couch to 5K, but have started many others on it with good success. Running is different from cycling in that it is way easy to become discouraged due to the soreness and the like. Just stick with it. If you miss a day, you haven't blown it! Just pick it up the next day. That day off is just a recovery day.

Good luck!
Henry

AngryScientist
09-02-2010, 07:02 AM
anyone with reasonable fitness can complete a 5k. its the pace that's in question. the couch to 5k program is well thought out for its intended audience. you may consider more of a beginners program though. the first few steps of that couch program are geared towards people who are actually riding a couch as a daily hobby. certainly cycling has given you a decent measure of base fitness.

i'm a longtime runner, from h.s. track and cross country all the way up to marathon running, i love running. i actually picked up biking as a measure to save my knees and joints from the much more harsh impact pounding of running. there arent many career runners who dont have knee/hip problems later in life, and i'm trying to avoid that.

the best advice i can give you is find a reasonable training plan and stick to it, both when you feel lousy and dont want to run, but also when you feel great and you want to pack on more miles or go wayyy faster, that'll lead to injury in newcomers.

good luck and remember to have fun out there!

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I enjoy running and just recently started riding more than running. Whatever program you pick, make sure it doesn't progress you too fast. Even though you might feel good fitness wise, your joints, muscles and body needs to adjust to the pounding and the miles. Better to progress slowly and be very deliberate then push it too much.

I would also add that once you get to the point in your fitness where you are no longer swearing and mentally complaining about how much you hate running, you will actually be able to enjoy the day, the scenery, the freedom of movement...it is a wonderful feeling. It will take a while to get a good base, but when it comes, running is a true joy. I am not fleet of foot in any sense and this is from somebody who ran for years because I HAD to for sport.

Best of luck and have fun... that is what is important.

joelh
09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys. Even though I think I could run a full 5k, the feeling of running is very foreign to me. I noticed that my legs have muscle aches in places that I must not use on the bike.

I am going to a running store to get a decent pair of shoes, somehow I don't think that my $39 reeboks will cut it.

There is a great sense of freedom being out at 5:30 in the morning all by myself. It is not unlike the feeling I get when I climb the first hill on the bike and then hit my stride.

A1CKot
09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
This was a kinda cool to watch. I think it has something for everyone.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63726/nova-marathon-challenge

wc1934
09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
a 5k should not be a problem if you are in decent shape - suggest a decent pair of shoes and if you feel pain cut back - shin splints are probably the most common injury to new runners -

craptacular
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
The difference between between running and riding is impact. You cannot go out and hammer a couple times a week if you are running (unless you are 18 or under). Find someone to run with, and talk to them the whole time. Unless you plan on running sub 15, just get out and run. NO speed work, no "what is my pace," just run for fun. Don't go by miles, go by time. And never increase your workload by more than 5% each week. And every couple of weeks, take an off week to recover. Recovery is much more crucial on something that breaks you down as much as running. I also recommend never running on the roads, better for the body and mind. Have fun, it should be enjoyable.

spiderman
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
i used to run track and cross country...
i ran 3-5 miles, three to five times a week until a decade ago.
i then developed a hip pointer that required 6 months to heal.
that's when i started riding daily instead.
one month ago my wife signed me up for the disney half marathon in january
in order, as a couple, to encourage her brother and sister-in-law
in their new fitness goals established during their recent visit to our home...
anyway...
three weeks into this new training program, i am following the following--
i am running half as far
half as fast
half as often
as i did when i meant it...
...and it's been very nice...
--riding is always better--
but the running has been able to bring a smile to my face for the first time!
since it's about the same pace and cadence
as if i were riding the pugsley,
running primarily on country gravel roads
and interesting routes
...i've been able to keep it fun and half way interesting...

Louis
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I'd love to be able to run, if only because 1) it is so much more efficient on time than cycling, and 2) you can do in much crappier weather with much less light. However, given all the issues I've had with my knees I'm concerned that running would be way to rough on my body. I'll stick to cycling and indoor rowing.

nm87710
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Take it slow and easy. It will feel too easy compared to cycling but remember your cardiovascular system can write checks your musculoskeleton system can't cash...