PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Free Watches - I am allergic to my favorite watch :(

Acotts
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
So, I have been wearing a watch for 15 years now. All of a sudden, as of aobut 6 months ago, I started getting rashes from the Nickel.

Any suggestions for a nickel-freel watch?

P.S. _ Iknow that gold, titanium, and ceramic does not have Ni, but you never know if the back of the casing is stainless. They dont record that info on interenet sites.

Thanks,
Andrew

buck-50
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
My dad gets the opposite- he can't wear watches because his skin eats them alive. 6 months on his wrist and the underside looks like it's been sitting in acid...

Acotts
08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=buck-50]My dad gets the opposite- he can't wear watches because his skin eats them alive. 6 months on his wrist and the underside looks like it's been sitting in acid...[/QUOTE

I have never heard of that.

AngryScientist
08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
give me a price range and type of watch you're interested in Andrew...

AngryScientist
08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
citizen makes a decent and very affordable line of Ti. watches, and i can confirm that they are full Ti cases, including caseback.

http://www.bluedial.com/images/Items/BM7080-54E.jpg

Karin Kirk
08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Have you seen the watch bands that sort of weave through the pins and thus cover the watch's backing? That would make it so the watchband is between your skin and the metal - might be worth a try if you are attached to your watch.

I have a kids watch from Target that has a fabric band like that.

CHF
08-30-2010, 01:42 PM
My girlfriend has the same allergy. She puts a piece of moleskin on the back of her watches and has no problems. Can't see the moleskin unless you take off the watch.

AngryScientist
08-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Have you seen the watch bands that sort of weave through the pins and thus cover the watch's backing? That would make it so the watchband is between your skin and the metal - might be worth a try if you are attached to your watch.

I have a kids watch from Target that has a fabric band like that.

hey Karin - good thinking. they are commonly referred to as NATO bands, also very affordable and come in many varieties of sized and colors.

Acotts
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
So the Citizen Watches are full Ti?

Thats good to know. I like those watches a lot.

I will take a look at the mole skin.

-A

Acotts
08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
give me a price range and type of watch you're interested in Andrew...

$150-350.

I tend to like a good classy watch with a medium-sized face and a metal or leather strap. I uges the style would be a divers watch or a sports watch...I dunno. The watch I am sporting now is a Tag Hauer Aqua Racer - 200m Silver on Silver. I think it is pretty awesome watch. I just wish the face was a touch bigger as is the current style.

Mike748
08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Or a Bund style leather band that covers has leather behind the whole watch head... need a good size wrist for those.

indyrider
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Not another watch thread!

I think we need to keep all threads, general discussion and classifieds alike, on-topic please...

Is this the smilie for sarcasm :rolleyes:

buck-50
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
So the Citizen Watches are full Ti?

Thats good to know. I like those watches a lot.

I will take a look at the mole skin.

-A
The eco drive is nice. I've had one for about 5 years (not Ti, though) and it's been bulletproof.

cadence90
08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
There are two types of watch straps which pass behind the case back and separate it from the wrist.

"NATO" straps are often used by divers because of their adjustability. They are generally available in nylon, some leather. "NATO" straps are more "sporty" than "Bunds".

"Bund" straps are WWII pilot's watch straps with a complete piece under the case back, offering more protection than a "NATO". They are generally available in leather, some nylon. "Bund" straps might be considered a bit more formal/traditional than a "NATO" strap.

In either case, while either style is available in many colors and sizes, they are both straps often used on larger "tool" or sporty watches and I think would look quite strange on a more formal watch.

Many better stainless cases are also nickel-free, but you are right; it is not often easy to know that if that fact is not listed.

"NATO" strap:
http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/timefactors-nato-g10-strap-black.JPG

"Bund" strap:
http://www.timefactors.com/images/bund19-3.jpg

cadence90
08-30-2010, 02:28 PM
$150-350.

I tend to like a good classy watch with a medium-sized face and a metal or leather strap. I uges the style would be a divers watch or a sports watch...I dunno. The watch I am sporting now is a Tag Hauer Aqua Racer - 200m Silver on Silver. I think it is pretty awesome watch. I just wish the face was a touch bigger as is the current style.

If you google "dive watch" or "sport watch" you will find many stores listing watches in that price range, which should give you a place to start.

AngryScientist
08-30-2010, 03:05 PM
i actually own this watch, though i havent worn it in years, it can still be had for about 300 or so online, has a solid ti case, eco-drive (powered by light) and 200m water resistant. somewhat of a classic dive rotating bezel. nice watch. whats surprising about it is how light it is, you expect it to weigh more, but its feather light.

http://www.which-watches.com/images/citizen/bl006056h.jpg

Acotts
08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
THanks for all the recco's.

I think I will look at a Nato Strap first.