PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Leather Handlebar Tape

cinema
07-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Has anyone ever used it? How does it compare to the popular hadlebra tape? I have recently taken a ride on a completely overhauled Super Mirage (it was in perfect condition, everything stock, needless to say, it was amazing) that had leather handlebar tape and it was great so I'm looking for some myself.

stephenyi
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I haven't used Handlebra yet but the Brooks tape is good stuff. I like the cork ends - it was a nice touch.

PoppaWheelie
07-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Has anyone ever used it? How does it compare to the popular hadlebra tape? I have recently taken a ride on a completely overhauled Super Mirage that had leather handlebar tape and it was great so I'm looking for some myself.

Nice stuff, tough, looks good...much more slippery than Handlebra and doesn't quite have that buttery feeling. Of course if you have a Brooks saddle the color match is pretty good. :)

Totally personal, but I like the 'bra.

dave thompson
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
While good, the Brooks tape doesn't wrap anywhere near as nicely as the HandleBra. I have HandleBra 3 bikes now, it's tough, durable, comfortable and always catches comments. My white Hurricane HandleBra (waterproof version of HandleBra) is now going on 2,000 miles and cleans up to look near new after every ride. I like it!

HandleBra also comes in matching colors to Brooks saddles.

blschaefer1
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Handlebra is the best !

Ray is a class act, too.

Ahneida Ride
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Try Both ..

I rest my case. :beer:

William
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Try Both ..

I rest my case. :beer:

The truth is in the test. :cool:

HB - Winner Hands down (and it feels so good you'll leave them)! :)

William

dave thompson
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
The truth is in the test. :cool:

HB - Winner Hands down (and it feels so good you'll leave them)! :)

William
To coin a phrase: "Wait 'till you put our hands on this!"

SPOKE
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I have both brands on a couple bikes. Both are pretty easy to work with. HB feels better and offers more grip. HB also seems to stay in place on the bars a bit better.
Ray has created a very nice product.
SPOKE

sc53
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Used to have the Brooks "honey" tape on my bars, but it tears really easily and the color changed immediately due to sweat and raindrops. It started to unwrap a few times too. Went back to cork tape. Then discovered Handlebra and it is so much better than the Brooks--wraps like butter but doesn't tear, color does not change with use and sweat, has a smooth look and feel like nothing else (except a baby's butt).

cinema
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. Do yall wrap cork under handlebra or is it comfortable enough without it?

beungood
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I give my vote to Handlebra, it's bullet proof! I like cork wrap under it.

dave thompson
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys. Do yall wrap cork under handlebra or is it comfortable enough without it?
Depends on how you like your bars to feel. HandleBra by itself wraps pretty thin, good for guys with small hands. I use hockey tape as an underwrap, which keeps the Handlebra from moving around on the bars. Then I use a single thickness of cloth bartape as padding and then HandleBra.

Experiment a bit, HandleBra can be reused many times.

Frankwurst
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
If it looks good, feels good, wraps good and smells good then it must be good.
HandleBra does all of the above. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
At NABHS ..

The vote was split..

1/2 loved HB over hockey tape.

1/2 over preferred HB over cork wrap. for a cushion effect.

Other satisfied customer use gel pads.

Yea .... it's the good stuff.

znfdl
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I am a bra user with hockey tape..... It has withstoos my sweat test, which means that it is a good product.

Satellite
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I wrapped Handle Bra right over my existing Fizik tape. I liked it so much I ended up wrapping all my bikes with it. Great product, last time I check Ray offered a refund if NOT satisfied I don't think you will get that with Brooks.

Satellite

Dekonick
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I tried something new - and it works great.

I have tried HB -no underwrap.

Tried HB with cork tape (I like it)

NOW - wrapped with hockey tape, then a thin model railroad foam underlay (for tracks) that I cut and trim and wrap with hockey tape where my wrists rest - then HB on top. Wonderful!

PBWrench
07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
HB is great. Period. Older Brooks was non-preforated and of nicer quaity than their current holy version.

toasttoast
07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I got some Brooks tape for free. Put it on my touring bike -- does a good job of matching a black B17, but that's about it.

I like to ride without gloves, and after long days, this stuff just feels bad on the palms. Going back to Fizik Microtex; might reuse the Brooks stuff on a city/fun/short-distance bike.

dave thompson
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I got some Brooks tape for free. Put it on my touring bike -- does a good job of matching a black B17, but that's about it.

I like to ride without gloves, and after long days, this stuff just feels bad on the palms. Going back to Fizik Microtex; might reuse the Brooks stuff on a city/fun/short-distance bike.
Use the Brooks as an underwrap for the HandleBra! :D

Dekonick
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Use the Brooks as an underwrap for the HandleBra! :D

Why do that to handlebra? I think cork would be better :)

Brooks leather is just not up to par with handlebra. Period.

dave thompson
07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Why do that to handlebra? I think cork would be better :)

Brooks leather is just not up to par with handlebra. Period.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Ahneida Ride
07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I like to ride without gloves.

you want da bra :beer:

wrap it over some cheapo cork ....

you can control the cushion effect by how tight you wrap the cork.
and my how you space the cork between turns.

Dekonick
07-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Ray - we need to talk - I have an incoming Bedford and it will need wrap, but can't decide!!!

Side note, I have used just about every version of Ray's wrap from its early days. The newest stuff (I don't have any, but a friend has some on his bikes - the hurricane wrap) is fantastic. Handlebra was great, in fact, utopia. Hurricane improves on that... if possible :cool:

The first generation wrap had a 3M backing and was nice... but I find I prefer no backing and using hockey tape + whatever pad you like be it old leather, old cork tape, or hobby train kit track under layer foam. It is better than anything else you have ever used. Period.

:banana:

Charles M
07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm Bra over cork... for the tops to the hoods. Then straigh bra in the drops.

I've pretty much forgotten other bar wrap...

slowandsteady
07-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Ray - what color matches Brookes' Brown Saddle color?

rugbysecondrow
07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
The huricane handle bra is great. I wrapped it with cork underneath but I also have big hands and really like the feel. I might try what Pez did as that makes sense. HHB and Nitto Noodles...doesn't get much better.

William
07-29-2010, 07:46 AM
HB over athletic tape on the Effin Cross Bike.

HB over first generation HB on the Recycler SS. This ends up being much thicker then the other way but it just feels so sublime.

Plus you always have enough wrap with Ray's generous portions. :cool:

Top of the line product from a top of the line guy. :banana:

William

Ahneida Ride
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Gutefahrt's Dunkel Lager ! What else ???? :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
07-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Ray - we need to talk - I have an incoming Bedford and it will need wrap, but can't decide!!!

Da bra is going on most Bedfords. or are they Brafords ? ;)

After paint, Kelly and I (and you) can pick a color / stitching ...

No Bedford shall go braless!

Steevo
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm using Fine Cigar HB and a Brooks honey saddle. When both were new, they didn't exactly match, but were close enough. Through extended use, they are blending together rather nicely into a nice aged light brown leather.

The HB is great stuff!!

dave thompson
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Brooks Antique Brown and HandleBra (jeez I love that name!) Dark Brown.