PDA

View Full Version : Best holding quick release skewers

KKevin
07-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Anyone using QRs for a fixed or single speed where holding power is really important. Whats your experience with different skewers?

ckamp
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I personally bolt mine and keep a 15 wrench with me for flipflop/tube replacement.

This might help:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=24049&highlight=fixed+skewers

jlwdm
07-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Here is a quote from Dazza at VS from a thread last week that started about dropouts but ended with skewers, although a lot of it relates to racing. Older Record or Shimano:

The last Campy Record one before the current and not so nice to use black one.
Many team mechanics use a set of these in their first reserve wheels next to them because the nut is firm and thus does not move during the wheel change {the Q/R are set off a pai rof drops kept in the car to get the tension correct} and the mech is secure and firm, the cam is internal so the lever and the bit that bites against the dropout does not dislodge from it's place during the wheel change.
unless the team has a wheel sponsor many mechanicos who care for their work will change the spares to some thing that works better when the TV cameras film you doing the wheel change.
Those cheap to make and we sell them as light external cam skewers are rubbish in hard constant use, and that is why Campy and Shimano make them with internal cams.

any one else notice the cam lock position is different on the latest black skewers and it does not lock over as sweet?
and the double funky look lever fouls dropouts on carbon frames and generally are a pain unless it is pointed down. Ruined a good design for a funky new look. It is like the paper clip, no matter how hard you try, you canot beat the well known design.
Mavic are not my favourite list either, rattles and breakages.

and while I am at it
think of
the poor old team mechanic doing a wheel change, he has wheel with a lousy Q/R which has a cam lever that dislodges as it goes into the frame in a hurry, the end nut that is loose on the skewer so it moves and upsets the the preset tension, frames that have different amounts of wear on the dropouts {Alloy drops wear a bit but the carbon dropouts are total ****!} so the tension is different on each bike
and the carbon frame's rear chain stay spacing can be + - 2mm from 130 mm
and the TV commentators moan about the slow wheel change
Modern equipment is crap in this situation
so spare a thought for the team mechanic and his/her problems dealing with this stuff.
Cheers Dazza

Jeff

MarcusPless
07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I might consider a shiny (pre-crappy-black) Campy Chorus/Record or a DuraAce skewer if the bike has vertical dropouts (although after considering it I'd probably still use a nutted axle and carry a wrench). If the frame has horizontal dropouts I wouldn't even think about using a quick release, unless you like the idea of the rear tire removing paint from the inside of the chain stays.

--Marcus

Ken Robb
07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Since I haven't tried all the skewers extant I can't say which is best but I've never had the slightest problem with silver Shimano (XT,LX, Dura Ace, Ultegra) or with shiny Campy Record or Chorus.

shiftyfixedgear
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
If you are concerned with "holding power" why on earth are you messing with a QR on a SS/Fix gear in the first place ?

false_Aest
07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes,

Go across the hall and czech out the thread on horizontal dropouts.

alancw3
07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
shimano dura ace skewers! read what sheldon brown has to say:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

oh how much i miss sheldon. he was a great guy and would share his knowledge openly.

Satellite
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I have tried all kinds of skewers and I always come back to Shimano, XTR mountain or Dura Ace road. I have couple of sets of Mavic Krysium skewers they are pretty good, but NOT as good as the Shimano.

chuckred
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Anyone using QRs for a fixed or single speed where holding power is really important. Whats your experience with different skewers?
I have the mountain bike version of these:
DT Swiss RWS (http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS.aspx) - No more loosening up from the disc brake forces - they seem pretty bomb proof!

McQueen
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
I have the mountain bike version of these:
DT Swiss RWS (http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS.aspx) - No more loosening up from the disc brake forces - they seem pretty bomb proof!

I have the same mtb version of those and essentially they are like bolted on skewers with a built in socket driver to tighten and loosen the bolts. If you haven't used them, they are an eye opener at first, but very well designed. What they are not though, is 'quick'.