PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bros pedals with road shoes?

CNY rider
03-28-2010, 07:27 AM
What's the status on using Crank Brothers pedals with road shoes these days?
The Quattro's seem to have disappeared.
The road cleat is out of stock on their website.

Why I ask: I have Candies and Eggs on several bikes of the commuter/dirt variety.
I ride with Shimano MTB shoes with the regular cleats, and everything is fine.
My other set-up has been Looks with real road shoes, and I just got some nice new road-style Diadoras which I would like to be able to use with all my bikes, shifting exclusively to Crank Bros pedals and using the road shoes on the road bikes with Candies, and the Shimano trail shoes with the others.

At this point is there any practical way to use the road shoes?

paczki
03-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm in the same predicament. I guess I'll just have to stockpile the road cleats where I can find them. And Quattro rebuild kits.

capybaras
03-28-2010, 08:09 AM
I have mtb cleats on my sidi road shoes and they work just fine with candy pedals. Maybe I just didn't know any better...

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I have only used one type of cleat. What is different about the road cleats?

I use the Eggs, Candies and Quatros...big fan of CB pedals.

Thanks?

Paul

CNY rider
03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I have only used one type of cleat. What is different about the road cleats?

I use the Eggs, Candies and Quatros...big fan of CB pedals.

Thanks?

Paul

What kind of shoes do you use?
On MTB shoes, the brass cleat is recessed nicely so you can walk.
On my road shoes the brass cleat will be sticking way out and I think it will be hard to walk, with short cleat life.
The "road cleat" looks like it comes with a surrounding piece of rubber material to keep the cleat protected. It's also set up for a 3 hole pattern on the shoe. At least that's my understanding from the pictures since I have never see or used it in person.

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
What kind of shoes do you use?
On MTB shoes, the brass cleat is recessed nicely so you can walk.
On my road shoes the brass cleat will be sticking way out and I think it will be hard to walk, with short cleat life.
The "road cleat" looks like it comes with a surrounding piece of rubber material to keep the cleat protected. It's also set up for a 3 hole pattern on the shoe. At least that's my understanding from the pictures since I have never see or used it in person.

I mostly use the MTB shoe, but I have them on Road shoes too. Yes, the cleat sticks out, but I figured that was just a drawback of the shoe not the cleat.

palincss
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I mostly use the MTB shoe, but I have them on Road shoes too. Yes, the cleat sticks out, but I figured that was just a drawback of the shoe not the cleat.

What, if anything, is the advantage of the "road" shoe?

capybaras
03-28-2010, 08:40 AM
The "road cleat" looks like it comes with a surrounding piece of rubber material to keep the cleat protected. I have that. Maybe I do have the road cleat - the metal cleat itself looks pretty similar to the mountain one. But the cleat for the quattros looks different - for one thing it is longer than it is wide.

CNY rider
03-28-2010, 09:02 AM

I've always worn Diadora road shoes, and my old pair got pretty ratty looking and I saw a good deal on a new pair............

bigbill
03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I have that. Maybe I do have the road cleat - the metal cleat itself looks pretty similar to the mountain one. But the cleat for the quattros looks different - for one thing it is longer than it is wide.

All the CB cleats are the same size. I have quattros on my road bike and candy on my commuter. I can use any shoe (winter MTB shoes, road shoes, and SPD sandals) with any pedal.

capybaras
03-28-2010, 10:03 AM
All the CB cleats are the same size. I have quattros on my road bike and candy on my commuter. I can use any shoe (winter MTB shoes, road shoes, and SPD sandals) with any pedal.

Sorry - I am confused. We have these 3 variations. First one on road shoes and used with Candy pedals, second one on mtn shoes and used with Candy pedals, third one used with road shoes and Quattro pedals.

TMB
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry - I am confused. We have these 3 variations. First one on road shoes and used with Candy pedals, second one on mtn shoes and used with Candy pedals, third one used with road shoes and Quattro pedals.

1 and 3 are the same thing.

I did not realize that the "road" style cleats ( 1 and 3 in the picture above ) were becoming difficult to find.

I converted a couple of my bikes to CB pedals on the glowing rec of a poster to this forum and quite like them.

If those cleats become difficult to find ........

I guess if I see them, I should probably buy 2 or 3 pair and stuff them in a drawer somewhere.

bigbill
03-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Like TooMany said below, the first and third are for the same pedal but work on the other pedals as well. The actual metal part that engages the pedal has the same point to point dimensions on all the cleats. The three bolt design was an afterthought by CB to allow riders to have more choice in road shoes. I have three pair of road shoes, one with two bolt cleats and two pair with three bolt. There isn't any performance difference. In the winter, I either use candy or quattro pedals on my road bike with my Specialized Defroster MTB shoes with standard CB cleats. I used MTB shoes with Quattro pedals while I was stationed overseas.

vjp
03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I use eggbeaters on my road bikes but I do wear Sidi Dominators so I don't walk on the cleat, which I had not really thought about. I just replaced the cleats last week as they were getting a little sloppy and the ones I replaced them with are like #3 in your post and they don't have the protrusions on the side. They came with a couple of pairs of eggbeaters that were a trade show special at Eurobike. I thought that maybe they had changed the design since I bought my first pair, are they for a different pedal?

vjp

TMB
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I can rejoin this now that I have wimped out on my ride for this morning.

It was cold when I left but didn't think much of it. Until I came out from behind a hill and got in the face by a wind that hadn't been there before.

I looked out over the lake and thought - uh, oh.

I got home some time after the rain started coming down sideways ........... :crap:

ANYWAY ......

The cleats in 1 and 3 are the same thing. Just that one of them ( #3) is upside down, and #1 is how you would see it mounted on your shoe.

For some reason the diagram in #3 shows the base plate upside down, those pins should be facing AWAY from the sole of the shoe and the raised "horseshoe" fits onto the pins, then the cleat mounts in the centre of the "horseshoe" - sort of achieves the same thing as the cleats on your MTB shoes in that it recesses the cleat - so you can walk, or put your foot down, without wearing the cleat down.

Bad description, I know - but I'm cold and wet, and miserable.

rugbysecondrow
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM

None for me. I had them before I knew any better. :)

I have some cheap Sette MTB shoes (I am fond of these) and Sidi Dominators I recently purchased so I mainly ride those mostly.

Maybe for Triathlons I will use the road shoes, or for use on my indoor spin bike. Haven't used them in a while though.

PCR
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I now use Specializeds BG Sport MTB shoes with Crank Bros. Candy & Eggs for everything (I used to run Look pedals and road shoes). Plenty stiff for me and I can walk in them without the need of cleat covers. Worth a try.