PDA

View Full Version : Bike cases

jpw
09-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Are there bike travel cases out there designed to a size to take a frame and attached components (minus handlebars and pedals), but not the wheels? I will be making a specific A 2 B and return B 2 A journey quite regularly by air and I can have wheels at A and B ready to use. A large case seems 'too much' to cope with when I have other bags to haul at the same time.

Thx. Jason.

Ray
09-25-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm not aware of a slightly smaller case to take a full frame but no wheels. Probably not enough market for someone to make something for that specifically.

But this seems like a great application for an S&S coupled frame. They're a real hassle to pack, but a lot of that is trying to get everything to fit around the wheels. If you don't need to pack wheels, packing a frame with an extra piece or two of foam to keep things from moving around in the case would be a snap. Not what you asked, but it got me thinking.

-Ray

jpw
09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm not aware of a slightly smaller case to take a full frame but no wheels. Probably not enough market for someone to make something for that specifically.

But this seems like a great application for an S&S coupled frame. They're a real hassle to pack, but a lot of that is trying to get everything to fit around the wheels. If you don't need to pack wheels, packing a frame with an extra piece or two of foam to keep things from moving around in the case would be a snap. Not what you asked, but it got me thinking.

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I don't have that type of coupled frame. My next bike might though, but not quite yet.

dekindy
09-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Are there bike travel cases out there designed to a size to take a frame and attached components (minus handlebars and pedals), but not the wheels? I will be making a specific A 2 B and return B 2 A journey quite regularly by air and I can have wheels at A and B ready to use. A large case seems 'too much' to cope with when I have other bags to haul at the same time.

Thx. Jason.

Food for thought.

I doubt that a case that could hold wheels is significantly less expensive or smaller than a case that does not hold wheels. Buy a case that holds everything in the event you do need that option in the future or for a bicycling vacation.

If you are going to be traveling a lot, and once would be enough for me, get the sturdiest case possible.

I also doubt that the difference in size between the two types would cost more to ship but that would be a consideration to investigate.

If you are going to a large city, you might compare shipping cost to the cost of renting a bicycle at that location and also consider the hassle of handling the bike during travel which you have already indicated, packing/unpacking, risk to your bike, etc.

jhat
09-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Do you have a second bike you can leave at your destination? Fly it once in the beginning and once when you are done with your travel routine. That way, you are only having to deal with cloths, shoes, helmet etc with each trip which would be much easier if a whole bike was at your destination.

Blue Jays
09-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Definitely examine the cool Tri All 3 Velo-Safe Custom Road as you consider this purchase. The nice thing is that one can pack LOTS of clothes, helmets, shoes, pumps, and anything else that might be needed on an extended ride. Once I secure my bike inside, I cover it in thick black plastic (to prevent any greasy stains) and then completely fill the case with other items. It really helps lock the bicycle into place. It rolls beautifully and effortlessly through airports via a detachable nylon leash. The airline traveler can just stack remaining reduced amount of baggage on top. It even leaves hands free to deal with tickets, passports, and other documentation. The bulky size of the case also prevents baggage handlers from throwing the thing around, which is an added peace-of-mind benefit. This is the case to have if transporting custom bikes or ones where ANY damage is unacceptable.

http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tas/2007/7663_i_1.jpg

The body of the case is a thick, high-grade polyethylene plastic. The perimeter is crafted of durable steel and there is a well-fitting PVC bar in the center section secured between rubber fixtures to prevent crush damage. There are two fixed wheels and two pivoting casters on heavy steel platforms bolted to the floor, along with a QR fitting for the forks. There is no need to remove pedals, handlebars, or stem. All that needs to be detached is wheels and pulling the seatpost/saddle from the frame. Mark it with tape to make reinsertion a snap. At your destination, you'll be on the bike as fast as you can reattach your wheels and slide the seatpost into the frame.

When stored, the two halves fit handily inside each other. They can be filled and slid beneath a shelf. This is easily the nicest travel case I've owned and would never seek another vendor. Good luck with your purchase.

Derailer
09-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Do NOT buy a SciCon bag imo. I have one (the Atlas Compact) that did not make it through one round trip without falling to pieces. What's more, the "warranty department" at SciCon refused to refund me or send me a new bag and tried to get me to defraud the airline.

A couplered bike is on my short list.

Kevan
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
did you check out Pelican cases? You might figure out your frame's dimensions and then go visit some luggage, gun, music and camera shops for some possibilities.

93legendti
09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Definitely examine the cool Tri All 3 Velo-Safe Custom Road as you consider this purchase. The nice thing is that one can pack LOTS of clothes, helmets, shoes, pumps, and anything else that might be needed on an extended ride. Once I secure my bike inside, I cover it in thick black plastic (to prevent any greasy stains) and then completely fill the case with other items. It really helps lock the bicycle into place. It rolls beautifully and effortlessly through airports via a detachable nylon leash. The airline traveler can just stack remaining reduced amount of baggage on top. It even leaves hands free to deal with tickets, passports, and other documentation. The bulky size of the case also prevents baggage handlers from throwing the thing around, which is an added peace-of-mind benefit. This is the case to have if transporting custom bikes or ones where ANY damage is unacceptable.

http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tas/2007/7663_i_1.jpg

The body of the case is a thick, high-grade polyethylene plastic. The perimeter is crafted of durable steel and there is a well-fitting PVC bar in the center section secured between rubber fixtures to prevent crush damage. There are two fixed wheels and two pivoting casters on heavy steel platforms bolted to the floor, along with a QR fitting for the forks. There is no need to remove pedals, handlebars, or stem. All that needs to be detached is wheels and pulling the seatpost/saddle from the frame. Mark it with tape to make reinsertion a snap. At your destination, you'll be on the bike as fast as you can reattach your wheels and slide the seatpost into the frame.

When stored, the two halves fit handily inside each other. They can be filled and slid beneath a shelf. This is easily the nicest travel case I've owned and would never seek another vendor. Good luck with your purchase.
All true. I have the double bike version I haven't needed it in years, but worked like a charm on the 3 trips I used it.

woolly
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
My advice - forget the case, and forget schlepping most of a bike around with you.

The used market is so cheap now, just get a spare bike & leave it at your secondary site - complete & ready to ride at the drop of a hat. Some of these cases are pretty pricey, and the airline charges are now pretty expensive too. You could probably have a nice backup bike for the cost of a top-end case & just a few round-trips. Plus, you'll have the luxury of not spending time assembling & disassembling a bike every trip.

Derailer
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
The great majority of airlines I checked charge $150 or more each way to travel with a bike case. Southwest is the exception at $50.

EddieBirdsell
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
My advice - forget the case, and forget schlepping most of a bike around with you.

The used market is so cheap now, just get a spare bike & leave it at your secondary site - complete & ready to ride at the drop of a hat. Some of these cases are pretty pricey, and the airline charges are now pretty expensive too. You could probably have a nice backup bike for the cost of a top-end case & just a few round-trips. Plus, you'll have the luxury of not spending time assembling & disassembling a bike every trip.

Agreed. Check local Craigslist, or perhaps post a WTB. You can always resell at the end of the time period, and even if you lose a little cash on the deal, I bet it will more than make up for the costs associated with checking the bike as luggage.

John M
09-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Second bike at point B is the way to go unless you get an S&S or Ritchey breakaway type bike. Anything else will cost $300 round trip since you will have to pay oversize fees. Of course, you will need somewhere to store the bike, which would be much more space than wheels.

feta99
09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
x2 on a second bike. That gives you an excuse to have another bike. Otherwise, cyclingnews has an article on a Biknd case that looks cool:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/on-show-interbike-2009-part-7

-A

Ray
09-29-2009, 01:39 PM
x2 on a second bike. That gives you an excuse to have another bike. Otherwise, cyclingnews has an article on a Biknd case that looks cool:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/on-show-interbike-2009-part-7

-A
That's a pretty interesting looking case. It looks like it protects the frame very well and breaks down to a very compact size while not in use. But I question how well that case protects wheels. They're packed in the outer portion of the case, with the axles well protected, but the rest of the wheel just protected by the soft case material. I could see something being packed in too tight against the case in the belly of a plane and finding spoke damage at the other end of the trip. If they can answer this concern, this looks like it has a lot of potential.

-Ray