PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Message - TICKS

Mikej
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
They seem to be pretty heavy in Wisconsin this spring. So wear your DEET if you hit the mtb trails.

buck-50
04-20-2009, 02:23 PM
good to know- my wife got Lyme's disease a couple years ago... Don't want a repeat of that.

Dekonick
04-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Lyme...

Thought you said lying disease.... :D

rphetteplace
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
strange.....knock on wood I haven't seen one this year...also in Wisconsin.

avalonracing
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't like killing things. I let flies and spiders out of the house. But ticks... I HATE those bastards.

konstantkarma
04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't like killing things. I let flies and spiders out of the house. But ticks... I HATE those bastards.

Sound advice, as Maryland's rates of Lyme Disease have doubled in past few years......along with the deer population.

William
04-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Already found one working out in the yard this past weekend. Do a thorough check every time you come in from working or hanging out outdoors.

No Bananas for ticks! :no:

William

fiamme red
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Already found one working out in the yard this past weekend.What kind of exercise do ticks do? ;)

konstantkarma
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
The thing that worries me most about the deer ticks is not finding them on myself, or my wife.....hey that can actually be fun! :) It is the possibility that one of our kids gets ticked. We have 2 and 5 year old boys, and 3 acres of forest for them to play in. We are constantly checking them for ticks, but still worry that we may miss one on their scalp or elsewhere. We hate to restrict their natural curiosity to explore the property, but we also worry about the ticks a lot.

sspielman
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The thing that worries me most about the deer ticks is not finding them on myself, or my wife.....hey that can actually be fun! :) It is the possibility that one of our kids gets ticked. We have 2 and 5 year old boys, and 3 acres of forest for them to play in. We are constantly checking them for ticks, but still worry that we may miss one on their scalp or elsewhere. We hate to restrict their natural curiosity to explore the property, but we also worry about the ticks a lot.

There is a HUGE misconception about ticks....That is that their prime habitat is woodland...While there are ticks in the woods, the greatest habitat and risk for picking them up occurs in high grass, shrubs and forbs. They hang out on the vegetation with their legs outstretched and latch onto passersby.

avalonracing
04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Ya know, I never had a need for Agent Orange before but...

sspielman
04-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Napalm...smells like....victory....

William
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
What kind of exercise do ticks do? ;)

I dunno but he gave me a run for my money!!....

http://www.thetick.ws/images/The%20Tick%202.jpg

William :)

William
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Ditto. our daughter seems to be a tick magnet. We check them both constantly but she's the one we have found them on the most.

William

sspielman
04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Ditto. our daughter seems to be a tick magnet. We check them both constantly but she's the one we have found them on the most.

William

..Funny you'd mention that. I had occasion to be in tick heaven at work for many years with a coworker...He would have 10 ticks for every one I had....My wife attracts them the same way....BOTH redheads....

Kevan
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
but Lymelife is a new terrific little film. Based alone on Timothy Hutton's acting, it's a disease you want to avoid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1192426/