PDA

View Full Version : I finally succumbed..........

Len J
01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
to the cold weather.

I went out this AM for a ride (I only get to ride on weekends). Anyway, its 9 degrees with a 15 MPH wind out of the north..........I hate to admit it, but I only made it for 45 minutes, it was so cold, it hurt to breath.......It was so cold, after 15 minutes, I couldn't feel my face, or my fingers, or my toes..........I gave up and went home with my bike between my legs.

Not fit for man or beast.

I feel bad.

Len

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2004, 06:53 PM
. . . to a spin class, man!

It’s warm, there’s music, it’s a great workout--and there’s WOMEN!

BBDave :D

sellsworth
01-10-2004, 06:56 PM
"Not fit for man or beast."

Is that a quote from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?

pale scotsman
01-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Nine degrees with a 15 mph wind. Are you nuts???? You guys up North are too tough for me. It was in the low 40's here with a 10 mph northerly wind and I wussed out.

mikemets
01-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Got out this morning at about 10:30 and it was 1 with a wind-chill of -16 due to the wind (12 mph). Wonder how cold it was with the added wind-chill from the bike.

I had one other guy show up and we rode for 26 miles. I was actually comfortable except for the exposed area right around my glasses, especially when going down hill.

I have the gear down I think, and good circulation. If anyone is interested in the actual gear let me know and I'll list it.

Must admit the hot shower felt great afterwards. :)

Have to go at least 1.5-2 hrs. just to make the effort of getting ready worth it ;)

Going again tomorrow morning and it promises to be a bit warmer, forecast is for 9 and a wind-chill all the way up to 0! (less wind)

Len J
01-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Mike:

You are my hero.

I think I'll try it with ski goggles, ski gloves & and face shield tomorrow.

How do you keep your toes warm?

Len

Len J
01-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Spin class.......BLEAH!

I hate riding inside. Even if there are women.

Len

mikemets
01-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Len J
Mike:

How do you keep your toes warm?

Len

I use a pair of wool socks, a thin, adhesive backed, toe warmer, and fleece lined booties by Bellweather.

Len J
01-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Mike:

Thanks.....I use everything but the toe warmers.. Today was the first day I lost feeling, usually I'm OK.

Have a great ride tomorrow.

Len

SPOKE
01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
did about 1.5 hr on the Mt bike this morning in the snow. pretty cool. just couldn't get my toes warm even with the thick booties. temp was between 23-26 deg. not much wind to deal with in the woods. planning another one for tomorrow about 12pm. should be great fun!

terry
01-11-2004, 10:18 AM
spoke's got it right-this is mtb weather. 5 degrees yesterday in NE-spent 1.5 hrs in the woods and worked up quite a sweat. getting ready to leave in about an hour to do it again this am.

dnovo
01-11-2004, 11:11 AM
"Spin class?" Arrrrkkk, gag, hurl. Layers, my man, layers! Assos Thermax gloves with overgloves. Goggles. Winter riding shoes (Sidi) and PI Toastie booties and Polar Fleece socks. ANYTHING but a 'spin class.' Next thing you know, they'll be serving canapes after the class! Dave N. (but its a toasty 31 here today.)

davids
01-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I waited until the temp broke into double digits, and then I headed for the hills, too. With Smartwool socks and a pair of ripped-up booties, my feet were fine. The only times I got a bit chilled were my brief sojourns onto pavement...

Terry, I was riding at Wompatuck from about 12-1:30 today. I wonder if we crossed paths?

terry
01-11-2004, 07:47 PM
David:
not at wompatuck today-i did my riding at massasoit in taunton. none of my buddies could make it today so i stayed close to home-didn't see a soul out there.

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2004, 08:58 PM
. . . at the ignorance of a sophisticated guy like you! Everyone who is ANYONE knows that the ONLY appropriate apres-spin recovery snack is escargot with orange Gatorade chasers!

BBDave:bike:

dnovo
01-11-2004, 09:39 PM
[Sound of retching.]

mikemets
01-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Got out for 67 miles this weekend. Not too bad considering the temps, and that both rides were in the AM.

As for me, most ANYTHING beats being indoors!!!

It snowed last night and it is forecasted to be so cold that I worry the roads won't clear. That is the only thing that can keep me indoors, the road conditions.

Too Tall
01-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Sat. it was 17F and breezy. Heck, I did the only sensible thing. Hitched up the trailer to my wagon and went to buy a 1/2 cord of wood!!! OK, later I got on the C'trainer.

Somehow, the low temps don't bother me commuting to work. 1 hrs. is not long enough to get frozen?

JohnS
01-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Winter is for crosstraining. I go hiking in the woods. It's peaceful and quiet.

davids
01-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by terry
David:
... none of my buddies could make it today so i stayed close to home-didn't see a soul out there...

It was quiet, wasn't it? I ran into a couple of hikers (including one hyper-friendly Black Lab), and two other cyclists. I never even heard back from my riding buddies!

People don't know what they're missing. It was beautiful out there, sunny and quiet. I had a great time riding the iced-over sections on my studded tires, listening to the ice crack and hum under my wheels. And I learned that there are limits to the studs - they don't climb slick ice very well at all!

More bitter cold coming, but it looks like it will be seasonable by next weekend...