PDA

View Full Version : Vredstein Fortezza tires...

benb
10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey anyone remember back a few months ago a bunch of people on this board bought Vredstein Fortezza Tricomp tires from Performance at a very low price?

Just curious as their was some discussion about Vredstein moving production from Europe to China.

When I got mine I looked, they were the new ones made in China.

Anyway I've had 5 flats in the first 1000 miles. I'm taking them off and putting Michelins back on, I'm selling the remaining (unopened) set.

Why? The 3 flats of the rear tire do not bother me, I'm chalking it up to bad luck.

But both the front tire flats have been blowouts which knocked the bead right off the rim.

Brand new tubes (one blew out 50 miles after the tire went on with a new tube) in both cases. Only thing that has been odd is these tires have the loosest bead of any clincher I've ever seen. Very easy to mount/dismount with bare fingers. I've only been running 105psi in these tires too. (700x25c)

Definitely nothing in the tire or odd with the wheel. I put new rim tape on after the first blowout, it made no difference.

I'm just psyched I've managed to not crash.

avalonracing
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I didn't buy any but thanks for the warning.

regularguy412
10-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I've heard about some issues with the Tricomps. I purchased the SE version of the Fortezzas. I've had ZERO problems. All four of the tires I've purchased are still in use , one way or another, after thousands of miles. Granted, a couple that are/were on the rear are getting thin now. One of those rears now sees use on my trainer bike. The other rear is still going strong on my set of Mavic OPs. The other two fronts are, well, still being used as fronts. I've had a couple of very small tread cuts, but they were in the very center of the tread and have not enlarged at all.

I think the Tricomps are a little lighter, but the SE's just don't seem to wear out. They also roll extremely well, for an inexpensive tire. I've had a very good experience with these, so far.

Mike in AR:beer:

avalonracing
10-13-2008, 06:55 AM
+1 on the SE

Buzz
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
"But both the front tire flats have been blowouts which knocked the bead right off the rim.

Brand new tubes (one blew out 50 miles after the tire went on with a new tube) in both cases. Only thing that has been odd is these tires have the loosest bead of any clincher I've ever seen. Very easy to mount/dismount with bare fingers. I've only been running 105psi in these tires too. (700x25c)

Definitely nothing in the tire or odd with the wheel. I put new rim tape on after the first blowout, it made no difference."

Oddly enough the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Two front tire blowouts. The second time I heard a thump thump. Stopped. Saw the tube coming out and pow she went.

I could remove the tires with my fingers too and I think that is the problem. Switched to michelin pro 2 and never looked back.

benb
10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Until my Michelin's arrive I'm actually going to try upping the pressure.

Vredestein recommends 145psi. They seem to have the complete opposite recommendation of say Michelin.

Hard for me to imagine they aren't going to feel like rocks...

Could the low pressure be causing something? I don't know.

TAW
10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I've had the Fortezza Tricomps on my wheels for quite a few years now and I've never had an issue with them. They're actually my favorite tire. I've heard others who had problems with bulging in certain areas. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

I do notice, however, that they flat more easily than the Michelin Pro Race 2s that I've had. I ride the Michelins in the winter when there's salt/sand on the roads. The Vredesteins seem to cut more easily because of the softer compound. I love the way they ride, and I've never had one roll off, but again, that's just my experience.

znfdl
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I have been a long time user of vredensteins.

I just swapped out a rear on my fortezza commuter (about 2,500 miles), which had 54 cuts, the casing showing in 3 places and no flats over the life of the tire.

No problems or complaints from me.

benb
10-14-2008, 06:06 PM
So today for kicks I pumped my Fortezzas to 130psi. (Vredestein's website recommends 145psi)

To my surprise I think they ride better at the higher pressure, including over rough patches of road.

As a 700x25 tire I was hoping to not run high pressures, but I can't help but wonder if they actually require a much higher pressure then the Michelins, etc.. that I am used to.

Could it be I was slowly damaging the tube running them at lower pressure? 175lb rider + 17lb bike.. seems like I should have been plenty safe at 105-110psi.

Dekonick
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Sheesh -

I run mine at 110 (SE's) and I weigh too derned much. Why does food taste sooo derned good? Guess I will invite Greg Lemond over for some all you can eat doughnuts....

Anyhoo - over 1500 miles on this set and only.... hmmm... one flat.

Pro race2's and I would flat every week - or so it seemed. I stopped using them, despite the nice ride.

:p

regularguy412
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
I run my SEs at 120 both ends and can't remember having a flat on any of the 4 that I own. Haven't tried a lower or higher pressure. In fact, some rims are not 'rated' to high pressure. My Mavic K's are rated to 138 psi when running a 23 mm clincher. Kinda interesting that the tires have a higher rating than the aluminum rim.

Mike in AR:beer:

Blue Jays
10-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Vredestein Fortezza TriComps have treated me well on one of my bikes.
Another one is running Continental GP4000S tires, which are fine.
Yet a third has Continental GP4000 and it's difficult to split hairs with the one that has the Black Chili compound, although the "S" version seems to wear better.

benb
10-15-2008, 08:56 AM
3rd Front tire blowout.

It happened last night at like 3AM while the bike was sitting in the living room. It woke me up pretty darn well. The bead was broken again.

This bike is parked till the new tires come in. There was only 70 miles on this tube since the last blowout. I had inspected it very carefully monday, the inside of the tire & rim was pristine.

It's like a 6" smooth tear in the tube, not on a seam. Very odd. Only thing is it does appear to have happened near the "seam" in the rim tape. (As in where the two ends of the tape overlap)

Dekonick
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Perhaps a rim issue then?

benb
10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't know.. they're Velomax (now Easton) rims. Never had a problem like this with any other tire before. The tires are the only variable that has changed.

I'm wondering if the pressure is just slowly working the tire out of the bead when they are sitting there. Once the bead works it's way out the tube just explosively lets go without the tire giving it structural integrity?

No problems when riding, they always happen when the bike is sitting.

If there is something wrong with the rim I can't see it with the naked eye.

regularguy412
10-15-2008, 03:33 PM
How many miles on the rims? Is it possible that the braking surface of the rim is now thin enough that the pressure is squeezing the rim walls out?

Never had this problem ; just brainstorming here.

Mike in AR :beer:

benb
10-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't really keep accurate track of miles on the rims. I bought them in the middle of the season in 2004.

I would guess about 10,000 miles on the rims? They were my "race" rims up till last year.

Stealth
10-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I've been riding them for awhile now and have had no problems at all! I crank em uo to the full 145 psi and love em!

benb
10-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I honestly think I've just got a defective tire.. even though the back tire is also quite loose on the rim and easy to change by hand it has not had this issue at all, and I usually expect the rear tire to have more issues then the front.

For safety I think I would just prefer in the future to stick with tires that have a tight enough fit between the bead & the rim that I have to at least use 1 tire lever to mount/dismount the final section of the bead.