PDA

View Full Version : Cable+housing weight

Lionel
10-05-2008, 06:34 AM
I am planning a new bike build and adding up all the various weights.

How much should I account for cable and housing for the whole bike?

Thanks

jlwdm
10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Don't be so concerned about weight on your bike. Low weight does not equal a great bike.

Weight wienies probably has some weights for cables though. Also check the manufacturers or sites selling good cables.

Jeff

gdw
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cables

SoCalSteve
10-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks

A suggestion: build the bike, then weigh it...save yourself all kinds of grief...

Just a thought,

Steve

PS: Or just ride with one water bottle, you will save yourself a lot more weight doing that and then you can use heavier cables and housing.

Ken Robb
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks
Why worry about something that you can't do without??

gdw
10-05-2008, 12:30 PM
The guy asked a simple question and deserves an answer not a lecture.

soulspinner
10-05-2008, 01:45 PM
See also Wrenchscience-build with the group you are using and at the end of the biuld they itemize...

Lionel
10-05-2008, 01:55 PM
The guy asked a simple question and deserves an answer not a lecture.
I was expecting some of that lecturing, it does not bother me;) The weight weenie web site lists the complete set of campy cable and housing at 248g. Given that you get rid of quite a bit of the housing I may guess 150g to 200g for the whole bike.

Nokon may save a bit of weight but I hear it is a pain to install.

Lionel
10-05-2008, 01:58 PM
PS: Or just ride with one water bottle, you will save yourself a lot more weight doing that and then you can use heavier cables and housing.

Once I get an estimate of the weight for cable and housing I think this statement could be challenged. A water bottle holder can be 18g.

SoCalSteve
10-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Once I get an estimate of the weight for cable and housing I think this statement could be challenged. A water bottle holder can be 18g.

Water bottle, not cage...

Dave
10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I was expecting some of that lecturing, it does not bother me;) The weight weenie web site lists the complete set of campy cable and housing at 248g. Given that you get rid of quite a bit of the housing I may guess 150g to 200g for the whole bike.

Nokon may save a bit of weight but I hear it is a pain to install.

150-200 grams is a reasonable estimate, since most frames no longer use full length rear brake housing and some of the shift cable and housing is usually cut off. I weighed a full set, with the plastic wrapper and got 250 grams.

If you're building with 2009 ergopower, Nokon won't fit. The new levers require shift cables that are no larger than 4.1mm, with no ferrules on the ends that are inserted into the ergopower body. Either Campy 11 speed or other 4mm cables are needed.

Lionel
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks. Looks like 170g is a good estimate. Below a cut and paste of the details I got on the weight weenies forum.

Pretty much in line with what Dave said. As I will be building with 2009 Super Record seems that I will just use the Campy cables and housing.

"The brake housing will weigh around 65-75 grams, the derailleur housing between 50-60 grams.
The brake cables will be around 20 grams, and the derailleur cables around 8-10 grams.

Weights per centimeter:

Brake Housing: 0.59 g/cm
Derailleur Housing: 0.39 g/cm

Brake Cable: 0.13 g/cm
Derailleur Cable: 0.073 g/cm"

cadence90
10-05-2008, 04:57 PM
FWIW, I have Nokon housing/cables, on a 59cm frame.
Shifters =76 and brakes = 54 = 130g.

But I wouldn't do it again: it is a pain to install and not worth it, in my opinion.

false_Aest
10-05-2008, 06:21 PM
130-170g??!?! SHEEEEESH! That's too heavy.

I'm takin' my cables off.

:p

stuckey
10-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I like Nokon cables, I do not think they are harder to install then any of the rest. The big bonus is the liner will go through the top tube on internal frames.

SoCalSteve
10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
130-170g??!?! SHEEEEESH! That's too heavy.

I'm takin' my cables off.

Good call, ride fixed with no brakes...Great way to save all kinds of weight...Oh yeah, dont eat dinner either.

Just sayin'

Steve

cadence90
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I like Nokon cables, I do not think they are harder to install then any of the rest. The big bonus is the liner will go through the top tube on internal frames.
I think they are more difficult the first time, because you have get the beads and loops lined up just right at several points, and if you don't get it, and the problem is at the bars, you have to remove all the other beads to add or subtract beads.

Once installed, it is a cinch. I do think they work well.

Question: don't all cables run through the tt on internally-routed frames?

cadence90
10-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Good call, ride fixed with no brakes...Great way to save all kinds of weight...Oh yeah, dont eat dinner either.

Just sayin'

Steve
http://clubwah.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/unicycle.jpg

stuckey
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Question: don't all cables run through the tt on internally-routed frames?

Cables yes, but housing no. On the Nokon cables the liner will fit through the internal guide. I just like the idea of a cable not rubbing against the internal guide tube.

cadence90
10-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Cables yes, but housing no. On the Nokon cables the liner will fit through the internal guide. I just like the idea of a cable not rubbing against the internal guide tube.
Yes, I understand what you mean now:
Traditional cables = 2 parts: cable + housing. Housing stops at the tt ports, cable runs through and sometimes causes "slap".

Nokon cables: 3 parts: cable + liner + housing. Housing beads stop at the tt ports, cable and the black liner run continuosly through the tt.