PDA

View Full Version : Horner takes the gloves off

Monthly Payment
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I was waiting for an article like this. Finally. Like Horner, I mean this in no disrespect to McCartney, but Horner should have gotten the nod by this point. He's carried the flag, has the talent, and has the resume to back it up.

-------------------------------------------------------
http://velonews.com/article/81477/horner-says-he-not-mccartney-deserved-olympic-slot

“Never did I say Jason was a bad rider or not worthy of his trip to Athens,” Horner wrote in a VeloNews rider diary in 2005. “Jason's desire to push past the limit was very impressive. In bike racing sometimes timing is more important than strength. It was just that, on that day, he did not have the best form of the riders in the break. I did, however, say that U.S. Postal rode the worst tactics that I have ever seen from a team of that quality, and I still believe that to be true.”

This time around, Horner was again quick to point out that his problem is not with McCartney, whom he described as “a great guy and one of the top-10 best riders in the U.S.”

“Jason is also one of the best opportunist riders out there,” Horner said. “But the Olympic team isn’t for the top-10 best American riders, it’s for the top-five best riders, and it isn’t a race for opportunists, it’s a race where the best riders in the world battle it out at the finish.”

-------------------------------------------------

I think VN has really stepped it up this year. Some of their domestic cycling coverage is really good. The coverage of Rock Racing early this year was great, and the article on the Toyota United lead out train was quite good as well. They also did a really good job covering some stuff behind the scene like up and coming amateurs, plights of promoters, etc.

dauwhe
08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Horner was incredibly kind to my brother's young kids at a race a few years back. He was a perfect example of how a pro athlete should behave. My brother's wife, who had zero interest in biking, became a big fan of his.

I like that he speaks his mind.

Dave

SadieKate
08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Back in December at a Cycling.TV event here in Bend, Chris talked about his contract termination with Predictor/Silence-Lotto and that he was shocked about the lack of value the team placed on him. He commented about how much they were willing to pay to hire Popovych and that he doubted that Popovych would bury himself to help Cadel in the mountains during the TdF. Good prediction, eh?

During the Cascade Classic, Levi was attached to his back wheel until safe, even through the crit. Then Horner carries in the injuried rider at the end of the Mt. Bachelor stage.

The guy gives 110% and then some.

johnnymossville
08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure why, but I always found Horner a stand-up guy and a good rider. I could never understand why the managers of some of his teams wouldn't pay him similarly to what others of his talent make.

Waldo
08-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm not exactly sure why, but I always found Horner a stand-up guy and a good rider. I could never understand why the managers of some of his teams wouldn't pay him similarly to what others of his talent make.

I agree with all of that, but isn't he hurt and not in racing condition making this all moot?

SadieKate
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I doubt that he would have raced the Tour of Elk Grove if he'd been on the US team. The views stated in this article aren't something he just articulated this week.

jdoiv
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
He got screwedmo...

I don't blame him for sayin' what's on his mind when it's true.

davidmn
08-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Call Verification will be needed for Purchases. After payment is verified, orders will be delivered within 30 minutes of purchase. Please feel free to contact our customer service via our eve isk (http://www.ugamegold.com/c_EVE-Online-ISK/) , we will contact you by phone , email and live chat to arrange the delivery.

toaster
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Call Verification will be needed for Purchases. After payment is verified, orders will be delivered within 30 minutes of purchase. Please feel free to contact our customer service via our eve isk (http://www.ugamegold.com/c_EVE-Online-ISK/) , we will contact you by phone , email and live chat to arrange the delivery.

To the sound of a thousand gloves coming off.

:bike: