PDA

View Full Version : OT-good luck w/big reds

Ken Robb
06-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I still have a few bottles of 1998 Pesenti Zin form Templeton, CA. The Pesenti Bros.; sold their vinyards to Turley about 6 years ago. I still had about 10 bottles of the 1998 Pesenti. # bottles in a row had gone brown and I almost dumped them all but my Scottish heritage prevailed. We have a friend with a marvelous palate and a love for reds. Her ex is the Burgundy buyer for K and L Liquors in San Fran. Every time she comes to dinner the bottle of 1998 I open is perfect so I only open one when she's present. Tonight's was to die for with lovely filet mignon and good crusty sourdough, organic salad from farmers' market. Life is good and the strawberries in Greek yoghurt are calling. Sorry you missed it Zinfandel and Pete! Well not THAT sorry! :beer:

rustychisel
06-06-2008, 02:09 AM
that sounds rather pleasant.

This is a big red.

TimD
06-06-2008, 06:20 AM

Cinci Jim
06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
that sounds rather pleasant.

This is a big red.

I have to say Bin 389 is my go to wine for non-special occasion, but still good Saturday night dinners.

I also have a few bottles of 707 tucked away - I got them thru a friend but I have not tried one...

Care to comment on the 707?

gt6267a
06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
two months ago your post would have flown right over my head, but recently i found my way to two bottles of turley zin. the girlfriend and i have tried one so far. the texture and flavors were fantastic. it would be a ton of fun to try something from the same vineyard and a bit older. i'd happily trade you my second bottle of turley for a bottle of the pesenti, though i suppose that might be a lopsided deal :)

lately, our meal of choice for a big wine night is ussually an amarone and veal chops with a port wine reduction finished with fresh garden herbs and polenta.

per missing znfdl and pete with that bottle open, we are on the same page, "Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it(them), Bob."

Ken Robb
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
re: the trade-I'm always game to share interesting wines with friends but I don't know how to ship a bottle, especially one this old. There is so much "stuff" now stuck to the corks and sides of the bottle that I decant it for an hour or more.

Then there's the chance that without my lucky friend there to share it with you your bottle would be one that's gone off.

Yep the trade would be lopsided as far as original prices go: the Pesenti Bros. thought $12 was a lot to charge for a bottle of wine and Turley is about $62 and up for their current releases I think. I've got some 2000 vintage Turleys that seem to sell for hundreds these days. To some extent that's because the newer wineries paid so much to buy vineyards and the old wineries bought farmland. :)

gt6267a
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
After hitting submit, I started to think through the logistics of a trade and you are right, its tricky. Clearly your bottle is going no where, so we would have to travel there. It would take about .5 milliseconds to convince the GF to travel that way. She is dieing to tour wine country, its not an if but a matter of when we go. Irrespective of trading wines, I will send a PM whenever plans firm up!

With the Turley in mind, do you have recommendations on other wines we might try?

maunahaole
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I drank a ton of Pesenti zin a few yeas back then Trader Joes had it on their shelf. Good stuff, but If I was buying it it was also really cheap as well.

I had a Rancho Zabaco 2005 Russian River Zin at a restaurant the other night. MMMMM tasty. Big is not enough word to describe the size.

Ken Robb
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
After hitting submit, I started to think through the logistics of a trade and you are right, its tricky. Clearly your bottle is going no where, so we would have to travel there. It would take about .5 milliseconds to convince the GF to travel that way. She is dieing to tour wine country, its not an if but a matter of when we go. Irrespective of trading wines, I will send a PM whenever plans firm up!

With the Turley in mind, do you have recommendations on other wines we might try?
Eberle Zin is big/good
Peachy Canyon specializes in Zin. Their Vintner's Blend is good value but not a monster along the Turley lines. PC does sell various reds through their web-site. If you join their club(free) they will send you 3-6 bottles every quarter and give you 20% off whatever you order. A couple of times a year you will get sale flyers too.

I dropped my membership this year because my cellar was getting inundated with PC wines and the stuff they ship in these packages is usually in the $26-38 range and that's getting into "special occasion" pricing for me.

Ken Robb
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I drank a ton of Pesenti zin a few yeas back then Trader Joes had it on their shelf. Good stuff, but If I was buying it it was also really cheap as well.

I had a Rancho Zabaco 2005 Russian River Zin at a restaurant the other night. MMMMM tasty. Big is not enough word to describe the size.

Gee I'm sorry I missed that--I've never seen it except in a few restaurants and shops around Paso Robles and at the winery.

I bought my last few cases at what had become the Turley Tasting Room at the site of the old Pesenti Winery in Templeton. I wouldn't be surprised if Turley had sold the old Pesenti wines to Trader's in bulk to keep folks from comparing it to their much more expensive Turley wines at their wineries.

znfdl
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
calling. Sorry
you missed it Zinfandel and Pete! Well not THAT sorry! :beer:

Ken: I will be in your neighbohood tomorrow mid afternoon. Please send me a pm with dinner time, phone number and directions.

Ken Robb
06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
858-405-7701--My wife hasn't yet told what our plans are so check in w/me later. :beer: If you need a shop with a stand to tune your bike mine is available.