PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Legend riders

Tom Robison
09-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I have a 1995 Legend and am thinking of getting fitted for and purchasing a new Legend. Is there a difference in the Ti tubes and the ride 1995 to present?

Thanks,

Tom

Smiley
09-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes , for one the tubes in the 57 and above are Over Sized , more so then the 1995 vintage , good for bigger riders , drop outs and chain stays are tricked out a bit more . Could an average rider notice the difference , I doubt it . You'll probably feel the fok improvements more than anything else if the fits are identical.

dirtdigger88
09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
does your current Legend not fit??

jason

Tom Robison
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
I guess I could have provided a bit more info...Currently I ride a 54cm and an F1 threaded fork, which I really like. I purchased the frame in 1999 over the internet and the original owner said the frame had been back to Serotta for a top tube replacement because the original frames were too flexy. (Can't say yes or no, since I'm the second owner.) Can any of you Legend experts corroborate that statement?

As for fit, I was fit for an Atlanta in 1996 at a bike shop that did not have a size cycle but, for all intents and purposes, did a good fit job. That was 9 years ago and I ain't getting any taller. So I've scheduled a fit session at Sundance Cycles in Agoura to give me a definitive fit answer. It may turn out the 54cm is spot on, in which case I'm money to the good.

Thanks,

Tom

dirtdigger88
09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
do you think it is flexy

Jason

Tom Robison
09-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't think it's flexy, but then I have no reference point since the frame was supposedly sent to Serotta to address a flex problem.

Tom

dirtdigger88
09-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Then I think you are back to fit- see pm

Jason

kestrel
09-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I purchased a 95 Legend. About three years later I tried to scrape it off the roof of my van while pulling into the garage. Serotta replaced the top tube, and the head tube. In Jan. 2002 the downtube snapped at the shifter braze-ons. Serotta replaced the frame with a new 2002 (maybe 01) Legend frameset. I can't tell the difference in the ride from the 95 to the 02. It is easier to ride no hands with the new frame, and it is very stable at 40+ MPH decending.

Serotta PETE
09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Have had many legends and never heard of a Legend being too flexy. Maybe it was a custom and not to buyers liking, but, I would question the replacing of a top tube as a fix, since the frames were designed by specific size. You can take the serial # and call Serotta and check history.

As dirtdigger mentioned, fit is the key item for the most enjoyable ride.

The newer legends do have different tubing, and they ride quite nice. Question becomes one of budget and desire. I notice a difference - not good or bad BUT a difference. As Smiley said, it could be just the fork.

The newer Legend/ST is a really nice ride. Friend of mine just got one and really loves the ride.

Good luck with the fittingl; PETE

Tom Robison
09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
I purchased a 95 Legend. About three years later I tried to scrape it off the roof of my van while pulling into the garage. Serotta replaced the top tube, and the head tube. In Jan. 2002 the downtube snapped at the shifter braze-ons. Serotta replaced the frame with a new 2002 (maybe 01) Legend frameset. I can't tell the difference in the ride from the 95 to the 02. It is easier to ride no hands with the new frame, and it is very stable at 40+ MPH decending.

I used to ride my other bikes with no hands, not this one. At higher speeds the front end is quite nervous, unlike my Atlanta. The ride is comfortable, but like you, I'm concerned about the shifter braze-ons.

Tom

kestrel
09-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Shifter braze-ons must be the keyword. As soon as I mentioned that's where the break was, Serotta said send it back, we'll replace it. The new frame has no shifter braze-ons, only small tacked cable ferrules on the head tube.

dbrk
09-20-2004, 10:12 PM
A flexy Legend is an oxymoron: there is no ti frame out there that is made stiffer in its stock configurations (back when there was far less custom particularly). That said, in larger frames it was once the case that the 1" top tube was used on the CSi---though I have never heard of such a small tube used in titanium. In fact, most CSi were made with 1" top tubes back in the day and on not so large frames it looked particularly neat. Anyway, that would contribute to a too flexy ride on a larger frame but none of that applies to you. You'd be hard pressed to find a difference in the ride between a '95 and a new bike unless you specifically ask for less or more stiff.

Serotta titanium is, well, stiff. The tweaking to suit you thing is all well and good but I've never been on a 60cm Legend that wasn't considerably stiffer than just about any other 60cm titanium frame. Given my size and weight (not large in either way), you can tell from stiff. My own Legend's stiffness is further exaggerated by the Mavic Cosmic Carbones which make any bike a LOT stiffer, imo, noticeably so.

If you want a new bike, I say knock yerself out. But if you are looking for a really different ride...nahhh. Maybe some in the forks but that's not 4K's worth of difference. Get a CSi or CIII and ask for it not to be too stiff. Then you'll feel some real difference.

dbrk