PDA

View Full Version : Custom Carbon

jjb
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
While I know that there have been several ride reports regarding a variety of custom carbon bikes (Serotta, Parlee, Crumpton). However, I was curious has anyone had a chance to check out Seven's carbon rides, or know anything about how there put together?

just curious

-jjb

xjoex
03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a ti-carbon seven odonata and it rides like a dream. The paint is soft on the ti tubes but otherwise no complaints.

-Joe

Jeff N.
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I see Axioms everywhere, Elium SG's here and there, but have never even SEEN a V-II or Diamas, oddly enough. Only in pics. I'd be interested to hear how they ride as well. Jeff N.

jjb
03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I see Axioms everywhere, Elium SG's here and there, but have never even SEEN a V-II or Diamas, oddly enough. Only in pics. I'd be interested to hear how they ride as well. Jeff N.

Yeah, same thing here, that is what prompted my initial post. I can't think of may bikes I have just not seen especially with all the people who ride around here (Boulder/Denver) but the full carbon Sevens are all on the list. I know they have been on there web page for well over a year, so I assume they must be making and selling them.

-jjb

swoop
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
not many.

the elium race is the best bike i've ever humped... but i also like cereal without milk so don't take it from me.

stevep
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
i thk they have a 10 yr wait list for a frame thats been in development for 5 years.

i have no evidence that any have been delivered to customers... or anything else

swoop
03-16-2008, 07:28 PM
i think they would have done better to jump on the integrated seatmast bandwagen (as an option) rather than the frankenbike carbon headtube wedge thing debacle.

they have every reason to embrace round tubes and yet they went foppish.
that elium race is the stiffest and most responsive thing i've ever ridden.. i don't know how they could lose their way buy pushing that model.

e-RICHIE
03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
i don't know how they could lose their way by pushing that model.
that's what eliot spitzer's allies said too atmo.

giordana93
03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
doesn't guru still do custom carbon? they seem like a class act, (if you gotta go with carbon)

DarrenCT
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
doesn't guru still do custom carbon? they seem like a class act, (if you gotta go with carbon)

yes however they are canadian (sorry grant)

swoop
03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
cough. (pilfered from their gallery)

DarrenCT
03-16-2008, 07:46 PM

PM sent regarding that haircut

mschol17
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
was that a cough or your gag reflex?

huey
03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Gross!

IMHO. that is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not knocking Seven, I love their bikes and have for a long time, but they missed the boat.

I go to go with swoop on this one about the integrated seatmast thingy.

jjb
03-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Yikes! What else can you really say. I'm not crazy about the tube shapes and seat mast but you add the paint on top of that too.

I have see couple of the Guru offerings they seem pretty nice imho. Course I haven't heard how they ride either....

Jeff N.
03-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Looks to me like a rebadged import. Integrated headset, no barrel adjusters...when I see stuff like that, I just start thinking import. Jeff N.

swoop
03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
to the op.... why not give the fellow that makes those lovely crumptons a call?
one has the feeling he 'gets it' in every sense o the word.

pdxmech13
03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
that's what eliot spitzer's allies said too atmo.

relentlessly funny...... :beer:

davids
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
cough. (pilfered from their gallery)Complete with camouflage paint to hide the hideous shape.

The shape. The paint. I've got a headache now.

...I've never seen an all-carbon Seven, either. Any of the three purported models.

oldfatslow
03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I've had a chance to some of Nick's work. They are absolutely stunning. I still have not seen a Meivici (hoping to see one soon). My humble opinion of carbon is go cheap as it is disposable and save your Benjamins for custom steel or, dare I say it, titanium.

jjb
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
to the op.... why not give the fellow that makes those lovely crumptons a call?
one has the feeling he 'gets it' in every sense o the word.

I have a time vxrs I'm quite happy with, and if my better half lets me get a new sled I will probably be looking at a cross bike in ti or ss. If I was looking to get another carbon bike would probably do exactly what you suggest. I was just curious.

-jjb

Bob Ross
03-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Complete with camouflage paint to hide the hideous shape.

The shape. The paint. I've got a headache now.

I think I'd prefer to see that bike with a different paint job and a different set of wheels before I could even begin to form an opinion on whether the shape is attractive or not. Right now it's just causing way too many cortical synapses to misfire randomly.

Speaking of custom carbon, does Aegis do "full custom"?

Blue Jays
03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Speaking of custom carbon, does Aegis do "full custom"?Not quite yet. They do make a variety of sizes and will offer guidance on which model will fit best based on your physical requirements since they have varying top tubes given a certain seat tube dimension.
Nice folks up there in Maine. You'll enjoy speaking with them.

mcteague
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Looks to me like a rebadged import. Integrated headset, no barrel adjusters...when I see stuff like that, I just start thinking import. Jeff N.
Look at the goofy wrap around pieces at the headtube. Only Seven seem to do this so I don't think it is a rebadge.

Tim McTeague

BUTCH RIDES
03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
bro guess you would not see another bike like that at starbucks
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Yikes! What else can you really say. I'm not crazy about the tube shapes and seat mast but you add the paint on top of that too.

+1 . . . Make the whole thing in stealth black and it might, just might look cool. But that paint job makes it look like something out of the kiddie play yard at Six Flags . . .

Where's that animated barfing emoticon when we need it? . . .

BBD

swoop
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
for me.. by the time the tubes have this large a profile it just makes a sloppy ride in any real world conditions (ie wind). its worth it for a tt set up... but to do major time on something that fat seems to me to have lost the way of good bikin'.

there's another seven carbon model too.. i think they just need to clean up the headtube and ask themselves some serious questions about who they (seven) are and what tube shapes represent a company that does so well working the beautiful construction and materials of their ti and ti/carbon bikes. seven is a company that should be about details. and a headtube that looks like its designed to cover their arses size wise doesn't look like a good detail).

if i were seven i'd have a ti bike that had a seat mast option (a real minimalist piece of art). i'd keep the elium race. and in whatever carbon i'm making i'd stick to the top shelf materials... that filament wound stuff is a gorgeous material.
if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash. i think they'd do well to look at parlee and crumptons work (with all due respect to parlee and crumpton)

the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's ALUMINUM race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

my point is that seven needs to identify themselves with a concept.. and in my mind that concept should be mastery of materials and minimalism.
if they want to push the envelop.. . play with the bb width of how to seat the bearings...
and don't make any motorcycles.

that being said... i don't know how seven and serotta make payroll. i can see a one or two man operation doing well and i can see the whole specialized china bike thing... but i don't know how you pay 30 people and make payroll and bikes. i get the feeling all parties concerned live that question too.

davids
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
if i were seven i'd have a ti bike that had a seat mast option (a real minimalist piece of art). i'd keep the elium race. and in whatever carbon i'm making i'd stick to the top shelf materials... that filament wound stuff is a gorgeous material.
if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash. i think they'd do well to look at parlee and crumptons work (with all due respect to parlee and crumpton)

the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

my point is that seven needs to identify themselves with a concept.. and in my mind that concept should be mastery of materials and minimalism.
if they want to push the envelop.. . play with the bb width of how to seat the bearings...
and don't make any motorcycles.Wrong thread. And you misspelled "Serotta" a few times, I think...

swoop
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Wrong thread. And you misspelled "Serotta" a few times, I think...

thanks... but we are talkign about that ugly carbon seven no?
and yeah.. i mispell because i am. it's like jazz.

besides, my dog wrote this and the lack of thumb does make the typing hardmo.

Grant McLean
03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash.

I'd like an Ottrott with a ti seat mast.
The Serottavagen version.

-g

jmeloy
03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
With a Zanc on the way, I've turned my Bianchi 928 into my foul weather ride! Figure that the plastic can take nearly anything. It's a nice ride and now it has a role in life!
JAM

swoop
03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
grant.. clearly you and i are under appreciated and should be hired to consult people and bike companies how to be fabulous. (like it or not.. the bike industry can learn from the fashion industry).

now if i can get herman miller to make lcw chairs in carbon ... the world will be aligned with my deepest desires.

bfd
03-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Yow, this thing is pretty ugly. Seven should really stick to what they do best - TITANIUM. Obviously, designing a carbon frame is not their "forte."

If you really want and NEED custom carbon, look to Calfee, Parlee, Crumpton and the newest guy - Brent Ruegamer (a former employee of Craig Calfee!). These guys are the best and can provide you with what you need! Good Luck!

swoop
03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Yow, this thing is pretty ugly. Seven should really stick to what they do best - TITANIUM. Obviously, designing a carbon frame is not their "forte."

If you really want and NEED custom carbon, look to Calfee, Parlee, Crumpton and the newest guy - Brent Ruegamer (a former employee of Craig Calfee!). These guys are the best and can provide you with what you need! Good Luck!

its not just designing a carbon frame... i think that part is pretty easy. i'm thinking that its designing into the frame... a manufacturing process from which you can build 48 to a 62cm bike in every imaginable iteration... and not relying upon engineer level labor to make it so. i think that might be the tricky part. (but don't confuse anything i'm saying for fact).

Fat Robert
03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's ALUMINUM race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

rock lobster

just sayin

taylorj
03-24-2008, 07:37 PM
That's Mike Hanseen who owns and runs Canyon Bicycles in Salt Lake City. He was the first ever shipped Diamas and he received it right after the bike show. The custom paint was his choice. He's a really great guy and really good rider.

-Joni

taylorj
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
its not just designing a carbon frame... i think that part is pretty easy. i'm thinking that its designing into the frame... a manufacturing process from which you can build 48 to a 62cm bike in every imaginable iteration... and not relying upon engineer level labor to make it so. i think that might be the tricky part. (but don't confuse anything i'm saying for fact).

Actually you are closer to fact than you think. In order for Seven to be able to deliver the "One Bike, Yours" process, they had to take great care into the tubes and molds to be able to offer custom, at the level they wanted to. It was a challenge (and yes, I was there in H2O-town for a good part of it.) The first customer bikes began shipping after Interbike. They ride ok. (only can speak on the V.II that I snuck a ride on---though it wasn't spec'd to my 5'2", 118lb body). As carbon bikes go, these bikes run on the heavy side. I love my little Aerios. I love Ti. That said...I want a Mevici!

swoop
03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
That's Mike Hanseen who owns and runs Canyon Bicycles in Salt Lake City. He was the first ever shipped Diamas and he received it right after the bike show. The custom paint was his choice. He's a really great guy and really good rider.

-Joni

joni.. what are you doing here??? send me free campy stuff! you know my sizes!!!!! something that will make me look faster... (the new global marketing guy at seven saw me on the bike at a local race a couple of weeks ago and snapped some pictures. made me think of you... i told him how great you and mike were...).

i still get stopped weekly about the bike, still get emails here about it, and its still the best thing i've ever ridden.