PDA

View Full Version : F1 fork - threaded

Harmi
01-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Looking for a threaded F1 fork or advice about switching to a threadless fork. Have the Anniversary CSI w/white threaded F1 fork (1" steerer) with Serotta Ti quill stem and Chris King headset - beautiful.....until, the accident. Me vs. car and now small crack in shoulder of fork. Cannot find replacement fork. Serotta no longer makes threaded forks and none lying around. Switch to threadless and trash the Ti stem or stick on some second rate steel fork? Advice:confused:

eddief
01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Why not buy a new custom threaded steel available from a variety of sources? Or switch your Chris King headset to threadless with the conversion kit and get any number of fine threadless carbon forks from Reynolds, Alpha, etc.

Harmi
01-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Having trouble rationalizing switching to a threadless system given the classic look and feel of the F1 fork and Ti stem. Throwing a steel fork on the bike seems like a step down. Can't find many[U]/any threaded carbon forks on the market.

GONE4ARIDE
01-04-2004, 07:32 AM
HARMI -

WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE FRAME THAT YOU NEED THE THREADED F1 FOR? I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP.

Smiley
01-04-2004, 08:18 AM
I was contemplating removing it in favor of an Ouzo Pro fork. Its Frost White with charcoal and Ti outline decals. I too maybe able to help you too.

Harmi
01-04-2004, 11:59 AM
I have a 58 cm frame. Not sure what steerer size/length I need for the frame? Other than taking it apart is there a way to measure or approximate? Head tube measures 180 mm.

dbrk
01-04-2004, 10:44 PM
I would hardly seem surprising that I would suggest, as I believe eddief has here, that a steel fork is hardly a step down. Imho it is actually a step up from any carbon fork and befittingly so on a CSi, on which it is the classic addition. (I can see how steel on a ti bike or Ottrott isn't in keeping with the zooty theme.) There are many fine builders who would make you one, though this would entail a repaint if you wanted a complete match. This is what I have done on two Atlantas and two CSi, but to each their own.

As for steerer, you'll need about 180mm at least to get it to fit a 58cm Serotta, though it has a relatively short headtube (in comparison to other bikes.) I'd also prefer any threaded fork to threadless but that's cause I have nothing good to say about the threadless "advantage."

dbrk

vaxn8r
01-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah, what he said...steel forks are sweet.

shinomaster
01-05-2004, 01:05 AM
You could buy a new old fork , or an old, old fork, or you could get a brand spankin new, new fork!! I know threadless forks may look goofy to some but I have seen some on steel bikes that look just fine! With a new stem and fork you could save a pound of overall weight! 16 oz.. what could be better!!:banana:

:banana:

:banana: