PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo RED

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Finally..... shifters for real riders!

Forget the wimpy soft touch levers, everyone knows real riders like it stiff!

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pros-get-new-campagnolo-shifter-13394?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRROADNEWS

For the 2008 season Pro riders using Campagnolo Ergopower levers will have the option of riding a new, dedicated shifter.

Marked with red lettering the new Ergo levers have been developed from pro riders requests for a harder, more positive gear shift. The stiffer change is achieved by using a stiffer spring and allows the rider to "feel" for the shift during the more challenging phases of a race.

The trend for shifters has been towards ever lighter shifting and this is still something that suits the majority of non-pro cyclists but we can allso see that stiffer shifting levers would be a good idea if you're wearing thick winter gloves or if you simply prefer the classic feel of the older Campagnolo Ergo levers

Stiffer springs aside, the special Ergpower shifters are identical to the standard model

e-RICHIE
12-04-2007, 08:43 AM
i made them do it atmo.

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
i made them do it atmo.

Have them cut the price next time too.

JG

swoop
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
i still think this is a hoax.. (i know it aint one but i did have check and make sure it wasn't april first).

*editing.. it sounds less like its addressing a functional issue (make it more agricultural..? what about e shifting and the ranting from test pigs about how gloriously smooth it is and what about shimano and sram 'click and pedal' shifting feel) and more like ATMO incarnate.. as in, 'wow, our consumer label is so smooth its too smooth...)

gt6267a
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
if its a hoax, please let campy pick up on the idea. i like the feel of my 8 speed campy setup.

Too Tall
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Campagnolo = Joe McCarthy
SRAM = Milton Friedman

SWorks4me
12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Campagnolo = Joe McCarthy
SRAM = Milton Friedman

SRAM= Red
Campagnolo= Red?

I know that red is traditional fast...so they say...but still find it amusing that this came out after the The SRAM red grouppo.

Plus they want to make it more difficult to shift for the manly men of the peloton....

DarrenCT
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
the red lettering looks sorta odd imho

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM

JG

buying Campagnolo in Euro's with USA dollars is MP...

-g

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 09:41 AM

-g

Yeah, the euros's are getting concerned too.

We had a tail wind for so long.

JG

Dave
12-04-2007, 09:55 AM

JG

Campy shifters cost less than any other brand by a wide margin. With the declining value of the dollar, it might be time to stock up on $300 Record ergo levers. I got a pair this summer for $268.

handsomerob
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
i made them do it atmo.

I don't know if you can take all the credit. Maybe they have been monitoring this forum.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=397418&postcount=11

from 9/29/2007...
I know exactly what you mean. I have used a good variety of Campy shifters and my current favorites are my 8 speed Record followed by my 9 speed Chorus.

I think that most of the shifting feel difference is in the ratcheting mechanism itself and not the actual lever. I wonder if the wider gear spacing (with less gears) allow for a "heavier" indexing, which feels more positive, if that is the right word?

So, essentially I like the feel of the ratcheting of the older shifters as well as the actual feel of the alloy vs. carbon.

Then again, I am no expert, it may all be in my head. ;)

edited... I would like to see the gear cog thingy inside the 8, 9, and 10 speed levers to compare the teeth/grooves side by side by side and see if they are as different as they feel to me. I have taken apart a shifter before, but never had one of each to compare.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=432744&postcount=6

from the article...
"Marked with red lettering the new Ergo levers have been developed from pro riders requests for a harder, more positive gear shift."

I would REALLY like to try out these new shifters... or just get some new springs ;) .

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Campy shifters cost less than any other brand by a wide margin. With the declining value of the dollar, it might be time to stock up on $300 Record ergo levers. I got a pair this summer for $268.

Campagnolo pricing right now is a function of what some places are dumping
it into the market for. Several suppliers charge more to your LBS
at wholesale cost than what you can find it selling for on the web...

g

sspielman
12-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Campagnolo pricing right now is a function of what some places are dumping
it into the market for. Several suppliers charge more to your LBS
at wholesale cost than what you can find it selling for on the web...

g

That is probably a function of many bike shops knowing far LESS about the product than many consumers....as a result, the wholesaler has to spend more time educating them and providing associated services.....

Avispa
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Red? Who the heck needs RED!

Rumor has it that DiLuca actually rode the Giro this year with Centaur (2008 R &D) Brifters with just the brake lever changed with the Record one for looks.

If them pro dudes can ride Centaur, most of us mortals will do just fine with Mirage!

..A..

shinomaster
12-04-2007, 10:57 AM
why would he do that?

DarrenCT
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
why would he do that?

is there any benefit?

ps: rumor has it that armstrong rode the tour with sora on his madone

dutri42590
12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
ps: rumor has it that armstrong rode the tour with sora on his madone[/QUOTE]
no it was the old rx100

JPR

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
why would he do that?

He rode the new Centaur mechanism becuase it's lighter, (his cannondale was
nowhere near the UCI weight limit...)
and he reportedly likes the shift mechanism that dumps only 1 gear at a time.

-g

Viper
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Peoples, lube your Campy shifters with Eyetalian olive oil and all will be well. Use virgin olive oil if yer using Record.

atmo

Ahneida Ride
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM

-g

it ain't dollars.... dem are frns

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM

please ... could you expain more? i've never heard you on this topic.

:crap:

-g

sspielman
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
no it was the old rx100

JPR[/QUOTE]

..actually I think that it was an "Eagle II" rear derailleur coupled to a set of "Positron" shifters....with "FFS" of the crankset....

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Funny,

Right under George Washington is says "ONE DOLLAR"

JG

fiamme red
12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
please ... could you expain more? i've never heard you on this topic.Furriner, ain't ye? ;)

sspielman
12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Funny,

JG

It also USED to say:
"This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts Public And Private And Is Redeemable In Lawful Money At The United States Treasury Or At Any Federal Reserve Bank".

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 12:27 PM
It also USED to say:
"This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts Public And Private And Is Redeemable In Lawful Money At The United States Treasury Or At Any Federal Reserve Bank".

It still says......

"This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts Public And Private"

JG

Ahneida Ride
12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Funny,

JG

don't believe all you read ....

It is not redeemable in a dollar. The frn note is not redeemable in anything.

The only reason we accepted notes to begin with is because they were
redeemable in a tangible asset, the paper itself is worthless.

Dilution (inflation) is the consequence of the ability to create frn by typing
numbers into a computer spreadsheet.

swoop
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
you know what i think... i think campy is putting redlabels on stuff they ship to pro teams so they can track it in terms of what gets sold out of the back of the truck. just like sella italia did with the red strip on their saddles.

i've done enough 123 races and ridden with enough pro's to think this is a non issue. that they're selling it as chunkier shifting to turn off the consumer because who in their right mind would want something that performs less well? when your gear is set up right you know damn well whenit shifts and when you're riding under pressure and with carbon wheels you can't avoid the clunk...
this is about cutting off the gray market that falls out of the team cars and trucks.. and there's just no sexy way to put it.

that's what i think. it just sounds too much like pr speak and its solves an issue i've never heard of. i've heard plenty of 'pro' complaints about gear.. but this aint one of em and i for one don't believe the hype. this is exactly what sella italia did last year too.

i'll ask around when i'm in the right company....

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 01:07 PM

I should not believe it's a dollar even though it says so? Is it not legal tender, backed by the full faith and credit of the USA, and still the strongest economy on earth?

Why does it need to be redeemable in a dollar when it IS a dollar?

JG

vjp
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
and still the strongest economy on earth?

JG

Largest. Also the largest national debt so it is not really the strongest. And the EEU is REALLY the strongest and largest in the galaxy....

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
you know what i think... i think campy is putting redlabels on stuff they ship to pro teams so they can track it in terms of what gets sold out of the back of the truck. just like sella italia did with the red strip on their saddles.

hey... i'm in da biz... so i guess as keeping my job goes I do wonder where all
these people walking into the shop are getting their stuff. The problem with
the "pro" issue stuff is that's what my clients want for themselves...
regardless of whether or not it's the best product for them.

Cycling has a serious case of pro-itis these days (maybe always)
but this making stuff for the pros makes my job harder, anticipating what
the next stuff that people want, atmo.

I guess it's a good way to stimulate sales, in that it's all marketing and such.
But like those selle italia saddles last year where we couldn't buy them from
our crappy canadian distributors... we still had clients show up with them on
their bikes. oooh you're so cool.... It's like a full time job keeping up with this
shiite... I shoulda been
a lawyer, so i could charge a few hun an hour for my opinions...

-g

swoop
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
this just fails the backward logic test. its too simple to just put a stiffer spring on for some guys and no one will ever know and the market thinks they're getting the same gig.. this is about loss prevention.
i've got five bucks the story will change.. this wreaks of marketing and sales department and not the real world. its' all spin and no meat.

truth is.. if zabel wants chunkier shifting they just put a stiffer spring in..
this is about grey market... and is exactly what sella italia did.

its just within campy they're out of touch enough to think the consumer will want the logically better functioning smoother shifting when already there's dude's saying.. yeah i have to get this.. it works worse....

its already comedy.

you know what pros hate.. they hate having to ride those little lolipopped shaped pedals and they hate the shoes they have to wear and they hate their chamios. and so many dudes want campy but can't have it.. the mechanics prefer it.... and then visa versa.. its really about wanting choice.. just like you and me.

but pedals shoes and shorts jack up a lot of dudes...

grant mentioned the thing i've heard about campy.. the guys wanting to just dump a gear at a time.... rather than shift through a grip of them.... i forgot about that. ah.. who knows...?

SoCalSteve
12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
this just fails the backward logic test. its too simple to just put a stiffer spring on for some guys and no one will ever know and the market thinks they're getting the same gig.. this is about loss prevention.
i've got five bucks the story will change.. this wreaks of marketing and sales department and not the real world. its' all spin and no meat.

its just within campy they're out of touch enough to think the consumer will want the logically better functioning smoother shifting when already there's dude's saying.. yeah i have to get this.. it works worse....

its already comedy.

you know what pros hate.. they hate having to ride those little lolipopped shaped pedals and they hate the shoes they have to wear and they hate their chamios. and so many dudes want campy but can't have it.. the mechanics prefer it.... and then visa versa.. its really about wanting choice.. just like you and me.

grant mentioned the thing i've heard about campy.. the guys wanting to just dump a gear at a time.... rather than shift through a grip of them.... i forgot about that. ah.. who knows...?

I dont race, never will, but if my shoes, pedals and shorts aint right, I'd be "jacked up" too!

Just sayin'

Steve

SWorks4me
12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I dont race, never will, but if my shoes, pedals and shorts aint right, I'd be "jacked up" too!

Just sayin'

Steve

and people wonder why we wear lycra shoe covers in the summer....(well , yes they look fast too)

J.Greene
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Largest. Also the largest national debt so it is not really the strongest. And the EEU is REALLY the strongest and largest in the galaxy....

I think the USA's debt as a % of GDP is lower than almost all of the euro zone countries. Grant, Canada is lower though, we should buy you guys.

JG

SWorks4me
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM

its already comedy.

nail on the head!

Sponsors are looking for reasons to cut costs...and if they find a team with less than honorable ethics, such as "truck sales" in hotel parking lots...then it is easier to cut back on $$$ for next year's contracts.

shinomaster
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
He rode the new Centaur mechanism becuase it's lighter, (his cannondale was
nowhere near the UCI weight limit...)

-g

why would centaur be lighter?

pdxmech13
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
its in the internals shino san.
less is more in this case :beer:

BdaGhisallo
12-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I also remember, when hearing about DiLuca's use of disguised Centaur shifters, that Bettini was another rider to use the same setup.

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM

fewer parts inside, the mechanism is simpler

-g

handsomerob
12-04-2007, 03:21 PM

i've done enough 123 races and ridden with enough pro's to think this is a non issue. that they're selling it as chunkier shifting to turn off the consumer because who in their right mind would want something that performs less well? when your gear is set up right you know damn well whenit shifts and when you're riding under pressure and with carbon wheels you can't avoid the clunk...
this is about cutting off the gray market that falls out of the team cars and trucks.. and there's just no sexy way to put it.

that's what i think. it just sounds too much like pr speak and its solves an issue i've never heard of. i've heard plenty of 'pro' complaints about gear.. but this aint one of em and i for one don't believe the hype. this is exactly what sella italia did last year too.

I am a complete newb so I don't pretend to be nearly as well informed, but I have a few questions.

1.) How much "gray market" stuff is out there? Meaning, how many teams are so well funded that they don't notice $1200 groups gone missing?

2.) Have teams been selling their bits brand new?

3.) How would they tell the difference between new and season old shifters (that I assume would be ok to sell)? At what point is it considered appropiate for pros to sell their bits?

Lastly, you equate chunkier shifting as worse performing... I personally would prefer it and have said so before these red labeled shifters were announced. I am a recreational rider at best, so I don't expect my opinion to be weighed very heavily, but I would say that there is a possibility that I am not alone in my preference.

stevep
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
team managers are notorious for supplementing their incomes by selling off surplus or non surplus team stuff.
the amount of product can be staggering. this market ( even though many in the group participate ) is not really very large. excess team product can be a significant volume of stuff in a small market,
it is basicly impossible to generate a real number to attach to the size of the premium bike product market...
but shimano sells along the lines of 20,000 dura ace groups a year into the aftermarket and that is estimated to be 3-4 times more than campagnolo but these numbers are impossible to really nail down to more that rough numbers.

sunglasses are like cash, tires like a christmas bonus all year- cant be tracked.
shoes... nuisance.
groups... easy money and worth quite a bit.

this is a nice little cash bonus for these guys.
theft, yes. hence attempts to make them honest by the guys sending pallets of parts to small and medium sized teams and then seeing the riders using junk parts and worn out tires.

gt6267a
12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
when your gear is set up right you know damn well whenit shifts and when

I agree.

Lastly, you equate chunkier shifting as worse performing... I personally would prefer it and have said so before these red labeled shifters were announced. I am a recreational rider at best, so I don't expect my opinion to be weighed very heavily, but I would say that there is a possibility that I am not alone in my preference.

I agree.

Irrespective of whether or not there is some grey market hoohaa in process, I like the feel of the firm shifting on my 8 speed record setup better than my 10 speed record setup. I use both just fine and don’t need firmer shifting, but the caveman-ish action feels good in my hands. It brings me a little joy and isn’t that why I am on the bike anyway? I have no interest in buying some red shifter. If I could buy this mystery stiffy-spring for the shifters already in my possession, that would be hot snot. Anyone have access to this guy?

vaxn8r
12-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I thought Record shifters started out super stiff...then after a while they get dreamy smooth...then after a while more they stop holding your gear.

What am I missing?

stevep
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
another beyond humorous scene sometimes found in the management of medium sized teams... not pro tour...at stage races...particularly eastern block ( still called that ?) teams is the team manager is selling stuff to consumers and pocketing the cash...

the lesser riders are trying to trade team clothing and souvenirs and stuff that they stole from the team to purchase the tires and shiite that the team manager is selling cause they are not good enough to get the stuff their team is supposed to provide.

truly a hilarious circus.

handsomerob
12-04-2007, 04:05 PM
....Irrespective of whether or not there is some grey market hoohaa in process, I like the feel of the firm shifting on my 8 speed record setup better than my 10 speed record setup. I use both just fine and don’t need firmer shifting, but the caveman-ish action feels good in my hands. It brings me a little joy and isn’t that why I am on the bike anyway? I have no interest in buying some red shifter. If I could buy this mystery stiffy-spring for the shifters already in my possession, that would be hot snot. Anyone have access to this guy?

I have found my kindred spirit. :beer: Either that or we are sharing a brain. I don't know which would be more disturbing. :D

I don't know what else to add except ditto.

pinkie swear you'll let me know about the soon to be coveted "special stiff springs"

handsomerob
12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
team managers are notorious for supplementing their incomes by selling off surplus or non surplus team stuff.
the amount of product can be staggering. this market ( even though many in the group participate ) is not really very large. excess team product can be a significant volume of stuff in a small market,
it is basicly impossible to generate a real number to attach to the size of the premium bike product market...
but shimano sells along the lines of 20,000 dura ace groups a year into the aftermarket and that is estimated to be 3-4 times more than campagnolo but these numbers are impossible to really nail down to more that rough numbers.

sunglasses are like cash, tires like a christmas bonus all year- cant be tracked.
shoes... nuisance.

theft, yes. hence attempts to make them honest by the guys sending pallets of parts to small and medium sized teams and then seeing the riders using junk parts and worn out tires.

Just when I thought my perception of profession cycling was at rock bottom...

So, as hard as it is to find a "clean" team to support, now I wonder about the integrity issues that can't be tested in a lab. :confused:

davids
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM

The only reason we accepted notes to begin with is because they were
redeemable in a tangible asset, the paper itself is worthless.

Dilution (inflation) is the consequence of the ability to create frn by typing
numbers into a computer spreadsheet.
Please, mommy!

andy mac
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM

shoes... nuisance.

same thing happens in the ski world.

many of these jobs in both industries are for love not money so the selling gear helps pay some bills - don't think much of the $$ goes into buying boats and condos in aspen.

Dave
12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
All the talk of using red letters to prevent selling off pro team parts is a bit amusing.

The lettering in this area can be removed quickly either chemically with acetone or abrasively with 1000 grit sandpaper or automotive rubbing compound. Anyone wanting good parts cheap wouldn't care about the red lettering.

I've got a pair of Record Ultra levers with no lettering anywhere. It's not hard to sand off the lettering and apply new clearcoat to the brake levers. I did this because mine said RE RD and RECOR after my last crash.

Chris
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM

I can't speak to the brifters being lighter, but I know for a fact that a sizeable chunk of the peloton has record brake lever blades placed on Centaur bodies because they prefer the "lighter" shifting and the previously mentioned down shifting restrictions to one cog at a time.

djg
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
is there any benefit?

Eh, he was a little sora that time he fell onto his top tube.

Viper
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Eh, he was a little sora that time he fell onto his top tube.

I always felt that Sheryl Crowe's face/smile was a little centaurish. I dig on Kristin though, I'd give her some molto veloce love, FTR (for the record).

:D

Polyglot
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM

Another reason why Ernesto uses Shimano on his pro bikes... Can't back door half the supply of components to pay for 'your' sponsorship if you use Campagnolo.

swoop
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
red seems to be the color for 'no resale'.

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Another reason why Ernesto uses Shimano on his pro bikes...

actually...
Colnago has 3 pro teams using Campagnolo

http://www.campagnolo.com/teams.php

-g

Grant McLean
12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
red seems to be the color for 'no resale'.

It's just a marketing gimmick...

You can buy of those Selle Italia team saddles,
but don't tell anyone, i'm paying for my kids college by
selling them for a big premium on ebay...

-g

Avispa
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
why would he do that?

Bro,
I just corrected my post with this: the reason he did this was for pre-2008 R & D, so I heard and saw... Campy tests their stuff throughly before it goes out to the rest of us.

And what Grant said, I suppose:

He rode the new Centaur mechanism becuase it's lighter, (his Cannondale was nowhere near the UCI weight limit...)

Now this stuff is the real deal:
Peoples, lube your Campy shifters with Eyetalian olive oil and all will be well. Use virgin olive oil if yer using Record.

:D :D

..A..

shinomaster
12-04-2007, 08:52 PM
It's just a marketing gimmick...

You can buy of those Selle Italia team saddles,
but don't tell anyone, i'm paying for my kids college by
selling them for a big premium on ebay...

-g

Will that cute red stripe wear off in a muddy cross race? That would great on my Fuji with white bar tape.

Avispa
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Ahhh,

That's the real reason DiLuca got busted and suspended for 3 months! That little slime ball... Swapping his Centaur stuff for Campy so he can get more dough... :D :D

Grrrr.... ;)

stevep
12-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Will that cute red stripe wear off in a muddy cross race? That would great on my Fuji with white bar tape.

probably yes.
i was recently given a selle italia ivan basso saddle and told that it could not be put on a bike.
it has signature, various decals on its white top... a collectable...

the stuff is all decal... will wear off literally on the first ride and look like heck.
oooops.

will sit in my basement for 2-3 years until i figure out what to do w/ it.

jemoryl
12-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Not quite the Campy spring news I was hoping for. I'm still waiting for the G-spring that lasts for the life of the shifter.....

stevep
12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Not quite the Campy spring news I was hoping for. I'm still waiting for the G-spring that lasts for the life of the shifter.....

get the new shifters. the ones that last forever say shimano on them.

ouch.
oye, that hurts.
not trying to start anything.

R2D2
12-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Since it's an option, I suspect the red coloring is just to allow the mechanics easily identify the different models.
They can still sell all the other stuff the want.

davids
12-05-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.aclens.com/accessoryphotos/visine_original_lg.jpg

Grant McLean
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
another beyond humorous scene sometimes found in the management of medium sized teams... not pro tour...at stage races...particularly eastern block ( still called that ?) teams is the team manager is selling stuff to consumers and pocketing the cash...

i swear Pucci, that stuff i sold you, it really did fall off the back of a truck...

-g

Avispa
12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
i still think this is a hoax.. (i know it aint one but i did have check and make sure it wasn't april first).

I guess it ain't... unless Cyclingnews.com is also believing this! :)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/news/12-08

Guys, don't waste your money on the "new" red. Just find and old set of 2006 levers on eBay!

Cheers!

..A..

Avispa
12-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I also remember, when hearing about DiLuca's use of disguised Centaur shifters, that Bettini was another rider to use the same setup.

Bettini was also doing R&D for Campy... But for the '07 worlds, he actually rode NOS Campy 2006 Record shifters.

..A..

Avispa
12-09-2007, 11:00 AM
What am I missing?

You need 1994 Record stuff! None of this new carbon garbage... :D :D

..A..

jsfoster
12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I always felt that Sheryl Crowe's face/smile was a little centaurish. I dig on Kristin though, I'd give her some molto veloce love, FTR (for the record).

:D
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33886&stc=1

Interesting photograph, but it is deviant :no: ; Centaurs are male.
;) Jon

handsomerob
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33886&stc=1

Interesting photograph, but it is deviant :no: ; Centaurs are male.
;) Jon

ok braniac... if all Centaurs are male, how do you make baby centaurs? :D

handsomerob
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I guess it ain't... unless Cyclingnews.com is also believing this! :)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/news/12-08

Guys, don't waste your money on the "new" red. Just find and old set of levers on eBay!

Cheers!

..A..

.... ah yes, but where to find the sensational super secret special stiff springs*

Speaking of springs... anyone want to go in with me peddling knock offs? I just bought a few sets of springs for $8 a set. The LBS pays $2 (and I pay $4) for something that can't have a material cost of more than a couple pennies.

As much as I like Campy... as a capitalist, I can't understand why someone hasn't taken a look at this aftermarket. Can the spring be that tough to construct? I am no metalworker, but I got to think that it could be replicated relatively easily.

Imagine selling them direct to the customer for $5/set (which would be about 40% cheaper than the LBS sells them for). That is one heck of a profit margin for something with a material cost of around 1% of the sale price.

*taken from a page in Sandy's book :cool:

Dave
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
.... ah yes, but where to find the sensational super secret special stiff springs*

Speaking of springs... anyone want to go in with me peddling knock offs? I just bought a few sets of springs for $8 a set. The LBS pays $2 (and I pay $4) for something that can't have a material cost of more than a couple pennies.

As much as I like Campy... as a capitalist, I can't understand why someone hasn't taken a look at this aftermarket. Can the spring be that tough to construct? I am no metalworker, but I got to think that it could be replicated relatively easily.

Imagine selling them direct to the customer for $5/set (which would be about 40% cheaper than the LBS sells them for). That is one heck of a profit margin for something with a material cost of around 1% of the sale price.

*taken from a page in Sandy's book :cool:

I think the volume would be too low to amount to much. I bought a 4-pack of g-springs for $12, just in case I need them. AE Bike has some of the better prices on Campy repair parts. After 13 seasons on Campy I haven't replaced a spring yet. I have taken them apart and greased them up. I keep selling bikes or the outdated (8,9 speed) parts or crash-scuffing levers before they wear out. I've also opted to sell some scuffed ergo sets on E-bay. QS gave me an excuse to try a new pair this year, but it's not much of a change with a triple FD.

3chordwonder
12-11-2007, 08:19 PM
When people are in a bikeshop with their shifters being repaired and the guy says 'you can have the genuine Campy springs for $8 or I can get you aftermarket ones for $2', I'll bet 90% will say 'for the extra $6, I'll take the peace of mind of knowing that the Campy ones should fit and work perfectly'.

Making simple aftermarket stuff is probably the easy part, then you'd have to spend a bunch of $ building a rep for high quality aftermarket gear to convince people they're not getting less as well as paying less.

Dr. Doofus
12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

the lesser riders are trying to trade team clothing and souvenirs and stuff that they stole from the team to purchase the tires and shiite that the team manager is selling cause they are not good enough to get the stuff their team is supposed to provide.

truly a hilarious circus.

kind of reminds me of a polish dude who was the wheel-and-deal king -- all of it above board, i guess. he used to rub a pretty good track sprinter's legs in the 90s, come back to SC with all kinds of team bikes, gear and schwag from europe and wherever...and would unload it for cash....smart cat

Grant McLean
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
kind of reminds me of a polish dude who was the wheel-and-deal king -- all of it above board, i guess. he used to rub a pretty good track sprinter's legs in the 90s, come back to SC with all kinds of team bikes, gear and schwag from europe and wherever...and would unload it for cash....smart cat

funny, this just popped up on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtailwindsportscorp

-g