PDA

View Full Version : Not "Good-Times"

shinomaster
11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
It took longer to clean my bike than it did to get it this way. Zank bring a tooth brush, and some soap.

shinomaster
11-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Ooops forgot pix.

chuckroast
11-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Dirt track racers in motorsports stop at the coin operated car wash on the way home from the track. Maybe if you were careful, it would work for a bike?

shinomaster
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Hose, brush, soap, and a sponge. I'll use the Turtle Wax tomorrow.

chrisroph
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
oh my. Eugene?

I'm drinking the delirium tremons--excellent, thanks much.

Just back from a long weekend in bend riding the mtn bike in 25-35 degree temps, really very nice. Trebon was out training Friday.

Hope all my forum bros had a great long weekend.

Fixed
11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
oh my. Eugene?

I'm drinking the delirium tremons--excellent, thanks much.

Just back from a long weekend in bend riding the mtn bike in 25-35 degree temps, really very nice. Trebon was out training Friday.

Hope all my forum bros had a great long weekend.
ryan has tampa ties nice tall cat
cheers :beer:

DarrenCT
11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
all u need is a hot towel imho

-d

shinomaster
11-25-2007, 09:22 PM
That was this morning at Kruggers farm. Man it was a beautiful looking course, and an even more beautiful day. I almost didn't go, but I was inspired by Swoop to get my race on this morning.
I actually brought a trainer and warmed up properly. I did a warm up lap and the course was a little muddy in some corners but totally ridable. I had my Griffos pumped to about 35psi, and was pretty excited about the long fast uphill start.
I sprinted to about 5th place and was feeling really good. There was carnage all around me as people wiped out on what proved to be an ultra slippery course. It had completely changed after the first race. My tires were working and I did one lap holding tenth place (my best first lap of the year atmo) and then everything went wrong. I wiped out on a muddy straight away after the chicken coop and then when I tried to get my bike rolling it wouldn't. The tires were completely caked with mud. I had almost no traction after the first lap. I thought the wheel popped out, but so much mud had clogged my brakes, BB shell, and cranks that the bike literally wouldn't move. I started digging mud out of my derailleur, brakes and everywhere. I worked on my bike for about a minute as the whole race passed me. Finally my bike started rolling. I did the rest of the race having to stop several times with a dropped chain and no shifting. I luckily had a big ring and FD. that worked.
It was as if I was doing the whole race with my trainer hooked up, and by the end of it my back was absolutely killing me. I almost quite three times but I rode my mud heap for the whole race. What a race....
The best part were the hot donuts after I changed. Chris you were wise to skip this one.

swoop
11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
for some reason... the more effed up and life threatening and just plain wrong... the more i cherish it.

i got five bucks that in 6 months you'll still be dreaming about it.

shinomaster
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
for some reason. the more effed up and life threatening and just plain wrong... the more i cherish it.

i got five buck that in 6 months you'll still be dreaming about it.

Oh, you don't forget races like these. :)

bigtime
11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
i watched your race shino. i decided early in the morning that i wasnt gonna get my race on, but went out to hang with some team bros. i think i saw 4 broken derailleurs in 30 minutes. that was one great looking but very messed up course-- mud + clay + hay + wetness = party in the pain cave. good on ya for finishing.

Volant
11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
How much paint did ya lose?

Blue Jays
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
I like the swatch of nice clean crank made with a finger to clear away the "Ritchey" marking. Holy smoke was that some soft and muddy conditions! :)

Too Tall
11-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Big Can of Pam Cooking Spray before the race...trust me.

stevep
11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
good start though shino.
you're making progress maybe.

William
11-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Wiped out by the chicken coop? I got news for you Shino.......that ain't mud!! :p

Good on ya! Happy Cleaning! :cool:

William

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Pam doesn't work.
Andy, I looked for you and your Vagen at the start, but I didn't see you.
The funny thing about that race was that of course we were all racing on the same mud, and in the same conditions. I don't think my bike has very good mud clearance, but that's no excuse. I don't see how the leaders kept going without their bikes seizing up. Some tuff guys won the race imho.
Terry how were the conditions for your race? Did the course dry out?
This is a shot of me telling my heckling friends to bugger off as I crawled toward the end of my last MP lap.. http://www.tlpics.exposuremanager.com/p/krugers_cyclocross_cat_c__c/img_703331

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.tlpics.exposuremanager.com/p/krugers_cyclocross_cat_c__c/img_70929

swoop
11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Pam doesn't work.
Andy, I looked for you and your Vagen at the start, but I didn't see you.
The funny thing about that race was that of course we were all racing on the same mud, and in the same conditions. I don't think my bike has very good mud clearance, but that's no excuse. I don't see how the leaders kept going without their bikes seizing up. Some tuff guys won the race imho.
Terry how were the conditions for your race? Did the course dry out?
This is a shot of me telling my heckling friends to bugger off as I crawled toward the end of my last MP lap.. http://www.tlpics.exposuremanager.com/p/krugers_cyclocross_cat_c__c/img_703331

were they swapping bikes every lap in the pit? the only thing better than one cross bike is two, no?

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
It was a day to have a pit bike and a person there washing it on every lap. It didn't rain all week so I was surprised there was so much mud. I have one bike. Maybe that will change soon. I think steel forks and frames have better mud clearance;)
I'm sure the pro's and serious B's had extra bikes.

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, It's interesting to see how much more mud collected on my rear boxy neutron than on the more aero front wheel. I might get some taller rims for next season, tubulars of course! :D

J.Greene
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm going to need to travel some next year for something other than FL cross. This other stuff looks like fun.

JG

gdw
11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Try a frame with elevated chainstays. They'll keep the drivetrain cleaner although the brakes seem to attract mud. ;)

coylifut
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Shino,

the course improved once the sun came out. a good portion of the adobe making fiber came up and deposited it self on the beginners and the Cs bikes. my bike was plenty muddy and the brakes were dragging, but it was an uber fast course for the SS-ers. Last year was far-far worse.

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I would love to have raced that course in the dry. It was such a great location.
gdw was that your bike at Kruggers? I thought e-stays were over with in the 90's? Remember Nishiki and Mantis?

gdw
11-26-2007, 02:46 PM
That wasn't me. I'm in Colorado and made the mistake of riding a couple trails which didn't get enough sunshine to dry out after the snow melted. The only other rider I encountered was on a cross bike but that couldn't have been you since he seemed to be making decent progress and was having a pretty good time.

Elevated chainstay are long dead on production frames but do keep your drivetrain cleaner, at least for awhile.

coylifut
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I would love to have raced that course in the dry. It was such a great location.
gdw was that your bike at Kruggers? I thought e-stays were over with in the 90's? Remember Nishiki and Mantis?

it wasn't any where near dry, it just wasn't as bad as when you were out on the course. also, the faster you go, the less stuff sticks to the bici.

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder how many front & rear derailleurs, cassettes, cranks, and wheelsets bite the dust nationally during the course of a single cyclocross season?

:D

manet
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
also, the faster you go, the less stuff sticks to the bici.

ouch

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
ouch

Yeah, Coylifut is like that.
I had a blast at the race, and fun. Near the end of the race it was just absurd and I asked people along the course if I could borrow their bikes. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation I was in.
The bike cleaning was the drag. Racing=fun:)

coylifut
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
ouch

that was for dropping me on the climb the last time we rode.

chrisroph
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
shino is too skinny, too young, and he climbs too well for us to be nice to him all the time. :beer:

shinomaster
11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Ha ha. Wait till next next year. We may all have the same bikes, and how cute would that be? :)