PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: 25 Years Down The Road

Joel
11-24-2007, 05:06 PM
While many of us have been riding for quite a while there is something magical about riding with a teammate 25 years later.

Samster and I rode together at Grinnell College last in 1982. We re-connected through this board a couple of years ago. Several years of (at least my) youth were spent chasing him and others across the rolling hills of Iowa. Usually in (my) poorly timed, mad sprints, to city limits and away from evil dogs.

On Thanksgiving morning and then again today we had the chance to ride together.

What's it like riding with someone 25 years later down the road? Well, other than some age, a lack of ability to hit those high rpm's in the big ring (my problem-not his), and a little more caution in turns, not much :)

Of course, since he was in Florida I had to drag him on weird roads, across cattle guards, up hills on chip seal, past more evil dogs etc. But, heck Thanksgiving and out in shorts who can complain! Then plenty of wine and turkey for dinner!! :beer:

Back in '82 we shot a team picture standing in the snow in Grinnell. Last night I found a print of it and passed it so Sam today. What's even better is that I still have the bike that was used in the photo.

So this morning, he showed up, and found me ready to go on my '80 Team Raleigh that I raced in college. Needless to say, it was a crazy fun ride that degenerated into some of Sam's signature mad sprints and very hard pulls on my part.

Never did I think that I could be riding so hard - with my legs hurting so much - with such a big smile.

I hope that it's not going to be another 25 years till we get to do this again, but then again if we're both still riding 25 years from now, that might not be so bad after all!

Best,

Joel

P.S. I will try to attach a picture that my wife shot of us after the ride this morning. I'm sure Sam will add some thoughts and more pix to this.

saab2000
11-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Cool!

I have a riding partner I have been riding with for about 20 years. He lives in Appleton, WI and when I say nothing has changed, I mean it. He has changed a couple components and the tires since we started riding.

I started serious riding in about '82 and still see one of my old riding buds, but we were never really close and while we still say hello and shoot the breeze when I am at his shop, we never were like 'friends' and would never plan a ride together.

But it is very satisfying riding with someone for decades.

mike p
11-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Cool story, post before and after pic's, love to see them. I've got a couple friends like that, but not 20 years yet.

Mike

Louis
11-24-2007, 05:48 PM
You weasels, riding in balmy Florida while the rest of us freeze our butts off up here... :p

Sam, enjoy it while it lasts.

Louis

weisan
11-24-2007, 07:26 PM
nice

onekgguy
11-24-2007, 07:30 PM
I love those sort of stories...yeah...it would be nice to see the earlier and current photos.

Kevin g

Joel
11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
All,

Sam posted some of the pix in the gatherings and rides section...where I suppose this thread probably should be...but still in oxygen debt from yesterday :D

Joel

Samster
11-25-2007, 11:04 AM
All,

Sam posted some of the pix in the gatherings and rides section...where I suppose this thread probably should be...but still in oxygen debt from yesterday :D

Joel
MOVED to here from the "events" section.

As Joel already wrote, my family went down to Orlando FL for a few days off and met up for an informal college reunion.

Below is the "Before" pic from 1982. Hair was longer and less grey then. The bike to the left is the one Joel has in the pics below this post.

dirtdigger88
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
sam-

you honestly dont look any different-

you must be doing something right

Jason

Samster
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Joel is the guy with the Mapei jersey and the red Raleigh Team Pro. I chased that bike all around Iowa back in the early 80s.

Vintage Campy Super Rec cranks, Nuovo Rec FD, RD and brakes. Campy small flange hubs (w/ oil wells I think), and a 70s/80s vintage Sun Tour 6 speed freewheel. Probably tips the scale at 21 lbs for the 55cm frame.

Don't let the old school heavy 531 steel fool you because, evidently, the bike still works fine. Joel hauled us around taking 26mph pulls around central Florida, where it's currently sunny and in the 70s. I'm back home now where it's 35 degrees and raining :butt:. ouch.

Thanks for the weather warning Louis.

Samster
11-25-2007, 11:08 AM
You weasels, riding in balmy Florida while the rest of us freeze our butts off up here... :p

Sam, enjoy it while it lasts.

Louis From what I heard from his wife, Joel rode this morning in the mid-70s once again. I am unfortunately back to winter climes.

Louis
11-25-2007, 11:51 AM
From what I heard from his wife, Joel rode this morning in the mid-70s once again. I am unfortunately back to winter climes.

It's just not fair. I was going to ride today, but right now it's looking pretty iffy...

Welcome home!

Samster
11-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Of course, since he was in Florida I had to drag him on weird roads, across cattle guards, up hills on chip seal, past more evil dogs etc. But, heck Thanksgiving and out in shorts who can complain! Then plenty of wine and turkey for dinner!! :beer:
We should note that those color pics were taken about 24 hours ago in FL. My wife and I drove back through the night and I'm still a little sketchy from the all-nighter behind the wheel. However, I do recall that dog (thanks a lot Joel) just past the cattle crossing uphill on bad Floridian chipseal. Joel's sadistic tendencies haven't diminished much over the years.

As for reconnecting with old friends, we'd recommend it highly to anyone and everyone. It's a little astonishing how much you recall a riding buddy's rhythms even after being on separate tracks for decades.

mike p
11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Very nice!

Mike