PDA

View Full Version : Friends! : Jet Lights! Lupine Lights!

Your_Friend!
11-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Friends!

Jet: I Found This Company

From _Good_ Reviews!

Do Any Of You Have

Experience With Them?

Or Knowledge Of Them?

Also _Lupine_ LED Seems

Like The _Way_ Of The Future

But Now?

Are They _Too_ Costly

Are They _Too_ Far Away?

Love,
Your_Friend!

http://www.lupine.de/index.php?lang=us
http://jetlites.com/

Ray
11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I have a Jet light from probably 8 years ago or maybe 9. I haven't used it in a while, but it was very very bright at the time. Had a water bottle battery, was pre-HID. I remember it was a much better value than most of the bigger names out there at the time. I don't have much use for lights these days, so I haven't stayed up with who's making what - don't know if they're still as good a value as they were then. But the company was cool to deal with. Charger died after a few years and they sent me another one under warranty.

-Ray

Matt-H
11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
as a frequent, devoted lurker with relatively little knowledge, it is nice to finally be able to contribute to this great forum.

The Jet lights are indeed regarded as reliable, lightweight, and effective. The single beam Phantom, with a halogen lamp, is great. I can't comment on Jet's HID offerings, but their customer service is top-notch.

I have never owned Lupine, but a few friends have and regard them as a benchmark in the industry. However, the $$ penalty is relatively severe, with a diminishing return component for many cyclists.

I own both a single beam HID and a single beam halogen from L & M. Both are excellent. My experience has been the yellow halogen beam allows for more contrast and shadows of objects on the ground (particularly off-road). The white light of HID IMHO leaves a bit to be desired, although it is bright!

Niterider has not always been regarded as good re: customer service, but I haven't had a problem. I have seen technical problems with their lamps on older models.

My experience is a lot of singletrack miles, with some road mixed in going to/from trails. I use a helmet mount as it works best for twisty MTB. I don't take the Peg out at night.

Hope this helps. I always look forward to your posts - they make me smile.

jpw
11-10-2007, 03:57 PM
I have the Lupine Edison 10.

To think about: the high price, bulb replacement is factory fit only.

Good points: MAJOR lumen output, long battery life and thus fewer recharge periods, compact size, smart mounting bracket design (Niterider appears to have copied it), nice control switch.

I recommend this light without hesitation, but YOU might want to think about the bulb issue.

BdaGhisallo
11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Lupine lights are, indeed, the gold standard. I have had an Edison 5 for about four years now and it is still going strong. I recently decided to upgrade my lamphead to one of their LED units. I ordered the Wilma, which puts out as much light as the HID Edison lamp. It is very impressive and my backyard tests confirm it is as impressive as the Edison. However, I decided to return it and get the new Betty lamp instead, at almost twice the light output of the Wilma. My main reason was that the Betty has a wider beam pattern.

LEDs are the future. They are far more robust, can handle rougher treatment and are dimmable, in a multitude of ways. There is also no limit to how many times they can be turned on and off, as with the HID lamps. They are very expensive. But if you ride a lot at night, they are well worth it.

Check out the Lupine site and their forum for lots of info. You can also get some good info on the MTBR.com forums, under the GPS and Lighting subforum. There is lots there about Lupine.

Previous to Lupine I was a big Nightsun fan and used their lights for about ten years. They were another great product for their time, though the company seemed to fade away recently.

Geoff

Erik.Lazdins
11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
When my Light and Motion HID needs to be replaced I hope the LEDs will be ready. They have so much potential - just need to get the lab stuff out on the roads quicker!

CNY rider
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
When my Light and Motion HID needs to be replaced I hope the LEDs will be ready. They have so much potential - just need to get the lab stuff out on the roads quicker!

Not sure if you have checked out some of the most current LED's but I was sure pleasantly surprised with my new Dinotte LED. I think they really ARE ready for prime time, right here and now.

Birddog
11-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Not sure if you have checked out some of the most current LED's but I was sure pleasantly surprised with my new Dinotte LED. I think they really ARE ready for prime time, right here and now.
+1 on that. The only problem, if it is a problem, is that the LED technology is advancing so rapidly that this years light is going to be outpaced by next year's, maybe even next month's lights. Some mfg.s DiNotte for instance, offered upgrades on their lights.

Birddog

Your_Friend!
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Dear Friends!

Thank You

For Your Responses

So Far!

LED's All Seem Weak

Except For Lupine!

Dinotte - Night Rider

Seem To Have 400-500 Lumens!

The Lupine Has 850!

Like HID!

I Have Used Halogen

And HID

HID Bright But

With Issues!

What Do You

_Smart_ Folks Think?

Stay HID Until LED

Gets Better/Cheaper?

Or Just Get Lupine?

I Calculate Circa

$1.00/ Lumen In General!

Love,
Y_F!

Erik.Lazdins
11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Y_F!
I think the price on this technology will drop a lot as it rolls out. Eventually LEDs will replace nearly all incandescent lights in homes.
They are small, bright and eventually cheap even!

BdaGhisallo
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
The new Lupine Betty LED light reportedly puts out about 1400 lumens!!

ClutchCargo
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
check out the WeightWeenies forum on this topic. our friend 11.4 has some interesting thoughts there. in short he thinks the Lupine light (Betty, I think?) is TOO bright, at least for road use. others echoed that, saying basically that it left them without the ability to view anything in the surrounding blackness.

my generally impression is that although LED may be the wave of the future, you will probably be hit by major buyer's remorse given the major advances being made with that product (unless you are generally immune to that sentiment given your amount of disposable income or otherwise). not unlike buying computers in the recent past.

flux
11-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Dear Your_Friend,

Chanel Luke Skywalker and use The Force. You will not need lights if you do this.

Good Luck,
Flux