PDA

View Full Version : Cross Bikes

jghall
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
After seeing all the really cool cross bikes here I've been thinking about getting one myself. Actually never owned one, so other than tire clearance, I'm not really sure what to be looking for?

As far as frames go; I'd love another TI bike but since funds are currently a little tight, I'm looking at the other materials. Partial to steel, but am open to suggestions and what is considered the "better" material if there is such a thing?

As far as builders go; will definately take a look at Carl Strong. But are there any others out there I should consider? Budget = $1200-1300 +/-

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Jeff

shinomaster
09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Do you mean a frame or a complete bike for $1200?

cpg
09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Carl Strong does great work. In addition to him I'd add Mike DeSalvo.

Curt

jghall
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Do you mean a frame or a complete bike for $1200?

Sorry, guess I should have clarified that better. $1200 for the frame.

In addition to him I'd add Mike DeSalvo.

Mike just finished my road frame, so while I certainly like his work I am leaning toward using another builder.

Are there builders that sponser cross teams that may have more knowledge of design and what works or doesnt work? I know Mike is one of them.

Regards,
Jeff

coylifut
09-13-2007, 12:30 PM
you definately can't go wrong with a Strong or a DeSalvo. The frames are in the $1,300 range and that's without a fork. With a fork you are looking at $1700 or so. Once you get up to that price range, your universe of potentials opens up quite a bit. There's a handfull of builders who do steel frames with a matching steel fork in this price range.

For coss bikes, I have a strong preference for steel forks. Having an uber light front end often throws a bike of track in the lose stuff at speed. Mike Zanconato makes a beautiful and great performing lugged steel frame/fork in that price range. Consider him as well.

rnhood
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Talking about Zanconato, I just saw this thread last night and, there are some pictures of one of his cross bikes. Jaw dropping impressive.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33614

Bruce K
09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Please don't get William started !! :rolleyes: ;) :D

I really enjoy my single speed Zanc cross bike but I race (or try) on my Serotta Concours (Ti) cross.

Serotta does make some cool crossers these days (this IS the Serotta forum ya know ;) ).

I think a lot would depend on where you are geographically as it is always fun to work with someone fairly local. That way you can get to see the process (sometimes) up closes and personal.

BK

Marcusaurelius
09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I had a Lemond Propad for about a year and it's very nice production frame. I think they sell the frameset for $769 (disc only). Of course LBS usually don't sell frames for msrp.

Ray
09-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I had a Lemond Propad for about a year and it's very nice production frame. I think they sell the frameset for $699 (disc only).
I like the Poprad too. If you're determined to spend more or if you really want custom, it won't do. But otherwise, great handling off-road, feels reasonably quick and responsive but dead stable going downhill at speed on the rough stuff. Great road manners too - its a great rough-stuff, light touring bike. Of all the bikes I've owned, it would probably be the best as an all-around "one bike". Low BB, which did cause a few pedals strikes off road, but really helps the ride/handling I think.

-Ray

William
09-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Please don't get William started !! :rolleyes: ;) :D

I really enjoy my single speed Zanc cross bike but I race (or try) on my Serotta Concours (Ti) cross.

Serotta does make some cool crossers these days (this IS the Serotta forum ya know ;) ).

I think a lot would depend on where you are geographically as it is always fun to work with someone fairly local. That way you can get to see the process (sometimes) up closes and personal.

BK

(inhale).......................................... .............Ah, you know what I was going to say. :)

William

William
09-14-2007, 07:01 AM
GET A ZANK!!!!!!

:D
William

stevep
09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
GET A ZANK!!!!!!

:D
William

easy for you to say.

Bruce K
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Getting in on the ground floor has it's priviledges (we get to be proud papas). :D

Hey William, do you think that when we order our second ones, we will jump to the head of the line like Serotta Owners Club members do? ;)

BK

Birddog
09-14-2007, 07:56 AM
I had a Lemond Propad for about a year and it's very nice production frame. I think they sell the frameset for $699 (disc only).

I believe I read that it is back to "disc optional" this year.

Birddog

William
09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
easy for you to say.

True, only three syllables. :D

Getting in on the ground floor has it's priviledges (we get to be proud papas). :D

Hey William, do you think that when we order our second ones, we will jump to the head of the line like Serotta Owners Club members do? ;)

BK

You know, I was just thinking the same thing.

William

(Flash forward 40 years) Ehhh, whadya say sonny? Yup, I remember when Mike worked out of that clean shop in Woooster.....Had to walk uphill in the snow, barefoot, both way to get to it but I'z gots myself a Zanconato before he were famous. ;)

MarleyMon
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Serotta makes the HSG Cross in steel in your price range (plus a bit).

crossjunkee
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Give Carl a call. He'll actually answer the phone, and have things cleared up for you in matter minutes. He knows what's up with cross.

I'll chime in a few things I prefer for racing.

1. Steel frame, and straight rake steel fork. You point it, it goes. Once the bike is caked with mud, it doesn't matter what it's made out of, aluminum, or the latest carbon trend. Steel is solid, and predictable.

2. Slight slope to the top tube. It helps to lift the bike over obstacles towards the end of the race.

3. Don't even consider a frame with disc tabs.

Everybody here will have different opinions, those are mine. Good luck, my Strong cross bike is one of my all time favorite bikes.

Marcusaurelius
09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I believe I read that it is back to "disc optional" this year.

Birddog

Yep, 2008 comes with a carbon fork and cantilever brakes (hurray).

Thanks

stevep
09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
True, only three syllables. :D

You know, I was just thinking the same thing.

William

(Flash forward 40 years) Ehhh, whadya say sonny? Yup, I remember when Mike worked out of that clean shop in Woooster.....Had to walk uphill in the snow, barefoot, both way to get to it but I'z gots myself a Zanconato before he were famous. ;)

you 2 arrogant b'stards will be sorry if i ever get that frame. mike says all his earlier stuff was flawed and difficult to pedal up hills but he has worked out the geometry problem on mine...which will climb so easy.

William
09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
you 2 arrogant b'stards will be sorry if i ever get that frame. mike says all his earlier stuff was flawed and difficult to pedal up hills but he has worked out the geometry problem on mine...which will climb so easy.

Calm down Uncle Stevep, calm down...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/71/200px-Seinfeld_s9e17.jpg

It's Zank classic, that's all. ;)

William

jghall
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Bringing up this old thread as another question popped in my head as I futher my search.

Do you size a cross frame the same as your road bike, or a bit smaller due to the higher bottom bracket height? Appears many stock cross frames are built with similar seat/top tube measurements as to their road siblings, which doesn't leave much room in the stand-over height category.

Thanks for all the advice to date.

Regards,
Jeff

e-RICHIE
09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Bringing up this old thread as another question popped in my head as I futher my search.

Do you size a cross frame the same as your road bike, or a bit smaller due to the higher bottom bracket height? Appears many stock cross frames are built with similar seat/top tube measurements as to their road siblings, which doesn't leave much room in the stand-over height category.

Thanks for all the advice to date.

Regards,
Jeff
if you race 'cross, yes.
if you don't, it doesn't matter as long as you fit it.
the bb height is irrelevant atmo.
read (http://www.cycle-smart.com/Articles/find.php?search=31).

big shanty
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Strong's prices are going up after Nov. 1st.

big shanty
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
FWIW, in that price range I'd go with a Strong!

Vancouverdave
09-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Southern Oregon builder Jeff Lyon makes many cross frames, lugged or fillet brazed steel tubes, steel or plastic fork. Starts around $1K frame and fork.
30 years of experience including sponsoring cross racers.

Mshue
09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Southern Oregon builder Jeff Lyon makes many cross frames, lugged or fillet brazed steel tubes, steel or plastic fork. Starts around $1K frame and fork.
30 years of experience including sponsoring cross racers.

It looks like, in addition to fillet brazing made to measure frames, Jeff Lyons has a line of lugged steel frames built to his specifications in England that he sells under his Big Fish label. Doesn't mention what type of tubing it is nor whether the pictured steel fork is included. Anyone familiar with the Big Fish line? Thanks.

ox_rider
09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I think Paul sponsors a cross team and from the website it looks like he builds in all sorts of materials.