PDA

View Full Version : anybody make the switch ?

Smiley
12-29-2003, 03:36 AM
from an F1 fork to a Ouzo Pro with a 1 inch carbon steerer and care to tell me what ride handling they noticed ---- different. I am now considering installing a Ouzo Pro and new lighter wheels in a Jenny Craig over haul of my Hor's Categorie. Why not as long a performance does not suffer.

Bill Bove
12-29-2003, 04:46 AM
Yes, Smiley I did exactly the same thing to my Colorado Al a couple of years ago. I went from threaded F-1 to an all carbon Ouzo Pro. First I did feel a change in weight when I picked up the frnt of the bike but more importantly I felt much less road buzz from the front wheel on rough pavement, much less with no change in steering precision. I'm thinking of trying some ITM Millinium carbon bars to finish the carbonization of the bike now that it got an '03 Record carbon crank for Christmas. The biggest improvement in ride quality came with the carbon post and Fizik Alliente saddle but I'm sure that would be moot on a Hor's.

Sandy
12-29-2003, 05:50 AM
Smiley,

Did you have a fall and crack your head on the cement?? Replace a F1 fork with another fork? Is that F1 Smiley saying this? Take some aspirins, get a brain transplant, or simply tell me it ain't so. The world of Serotta has changed forever. It will never be the same. Smiley, I guess the next thing you will consider is changing the rear of your Hors. Do you feel ok???

So Surprised So Saddened SSS

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Oh, my goodness.

Obviously this is not really Smiley writing this. We have been invaded by trolls again and one is pretending to be Smiley--OR the space invasion has begun and the pod people have replaced him!

Concerned BBDave:rolleyes:

victoryfactory
12-29-2003, 07:32 AM
I did the same switch as Bill Bove (above) on my 2000 Atlanta with exactly the same results: Smoother, lighter, less harsh.

I guess there are riders who need a stiffer fork, who do 50+ MPH switchback descents and Cipo style sprints, but for my style of riding, I prefer the Ouzo Pro.

Before the switch, I preferred riding my Litespeed, after the switch, I liked the Atlanta better.. Do it if you can!

Victory Factory

PS: I still ride the Atlanta, the Litespeed was sold

Spectrum Bob
12-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Smiley
Don’t listen too them.
I think it’s great to see you expanding your horizons.
I love my Ouzo Pro fork.
But what do I know, I ride a Spectrum.
Spectrum Bob

Sandy
12-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Bee Man,

It just got worse! I saw the Captain, absolutely nude, riding his Hors, pulling a cart full of his remaining supply of about 200 F1 forks. He had a sign on the cart, saying "Heavy carbon fiber forks for sale cheap, sale price on 4 or more". I rode beside him and asked him what he was doing, and he acted as if he did not even know me. He was whistling and chirping some strange little song. I really think the Captain has lost it.

So Sad in Serotta Land

Len J
12-29-2003, 07:44 AM
Rider weight has a direct impact on frame & fork feel.

An F1 may be great for a clysdale and stiff for a 125 lb climber.

We should have a rule on this forum that before anyone gives advice on components that have to give their weight.

Reread this thread:

1.) Assuming everyone answering is 240 lbs.

2.) Assuming everyone is 120 lbs.

3.) Assuming Sandy is a clydsdale & Spectrum Dave & VictoryFactory are lightweights.

See the difference?

Len

victoryfactory
12-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Len J:
Welp, I weigh 120 in Kilos, maybe. Actually I'm about 190, but I've always felt that frame size is important in this equation, I ride a 52cm which means less head tube length, possibly less flex overall? Also riding style matters, climber? sprinter? cruiser? Old fart? Racer?

I liked the Ouzo Pro so much that I got one (02) on my new Legend.

Victory Factory, who likes a smooth ride, doesn't race, is past 50, rides where there are few hills, 160 miles per week, 14-16 mph average, with occasional moments of 25mph brilliance

Johny
12-29-2003, 11:30 AM
I believe Len and Victory Factory brought up excellent points. In the end, your weight (or more precisely your body) and riding style can make a lot of differences in judging a frame and a fork. I have recently read a review talking about a particular carbon bike (which I also own and exactly the same size). Obviously, this reviewer must be bigger or at least with longer legs (his bike showed more seat post than mine). My bike (w/ almost the same set-up) actually feels very stiff and he was complaining that the bike was not stiff enough. And some people here also talked about how stiff a Legend Ti can be (althogh it can be tuned to personal likes) while others said it is very comfortable. Now, we are here to compare F1 and Ouzo Pro, and I think the points brought up by Len and Victory should be considered very carefully.

Smiley
12-29-2003, 02:41 PM
so how does the Ouzo Pro respond on a fast decent with switchbacks, does it track like its on rails cause my F1 does and that's what I like about that sucker. Forget the cushy part you all speak of, how does it track at speed. I need to know, and yes I am 175 lbs and ride a 58 cm frame.

Chris
12-29-2003, 03:33 PM
6'2", 180 lbs., 33 y-o, Cat. 3 racer.

I switched from an F1 threadless to an Ouzo Pro threadless on my Legend Ti about a year or so ago. The difference was remarkable. Much smoother. Weight doesn't matter to me, so it wasn't a concern. I feel like the Ouzo Pro is probably the best fork out there in terms of ride quality. I've done some 50 mph descents. Chased birddog down one in the sleet and didn't have any problems.... You won't be dissatisfied.

Serotta PETE
12-29-2003, 04:13 PM
IS this another Smiley that has joined the forum...... Looking for a NON F1 fork??????

Do you have any threaded F1 forks to sell..

Have a Happy New Year and hope to see you soon. PETE

Johny
12-29-2003, 04:17 PM
OK. Now I am really :confused: .

Did not "jerk" and others tell us the F1 is the best out there except the weight.
I am asking this since I am assembling a Concours with a threaded F1. I have a Ouzo Pro on one of my steel bikes and I do like it. So I keep a new unused Ouzo pro at home just in case.

Should I keep the F1 or use the Ouzo Pro for my Concours?

:argue: Smiley, this is all your fault. ;)

PS. I am 5'7" and 135 lbs.

Smiley
12-29-2003, 04:55 PM
I believe that the F1 is still the MOST steel riding carbon fork out there. So if everybody likes the Ouzo Pro what about the F2 if it was available in a 1 inch steerer? Ok how about the new lighter weight Ouzo Pro Lite , what's up with that ? I did check out Reynolds Composites web site and the 1 inch Ouzo Pro is a mere 385 grams and lighter than the 1 1/8 inch fork. No published weights on the Lite although Colorado Cyclist has them in the new catalog.
Hey I am and OLD DOG that can learn new tricks, Got to admit I love my F1 fork and am scared to switch forks. Any help out there.