PDA

View Full Version : Ot. World series

vqdriver
10-29-2019, 10:22 PM
Can someone explain to me why turner was called out for interference? Looked to me like he was in the baseline.

jtakeda
10-29-2019, 10:27 PM
Can someone explain to me why turner was called out for interference? Looked to me like he was in the baseline.

IMO thats what you get for having a right handed first baseman.

Thats exactly why folks like having a lefty there--total BS but Rendon made up for it

ORMojo
10-29-2019, 10:28 PM

Joe Torre, MLB Chief Baseball Officer, explained during the post-game show that he wasn't called for interference with regard to the baseline, he was called for interference for contact with the first baseman, when he knocked his glove off. He also explained that, as a judgement call, it is not reviewable.

The Fox announcers, to a person, then immediately disagreed with interference for that reason, saying that, in their opinion, the runner has the right to lunge for the base, within the baseline (and Torre had just admitted that he wasn't called for being outside the baseline), and knocking the glove off of the first baseman's hand was incidental to the runner's attempt to reach base, but not interference.

vqdriver
10-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Really, that's what the explanation was?
I always thought the baseline belonged to the runner. So in this case the first baseman was actually interfering with the runner by sticking his glove out in front of him.

Ok, nm

Back to football where the officiating always makes sense.

jtakeda
10-29-2019, 10:37 PM
Joe Torre, MLB Chief Baseball Officer, explained during the post-game show that he wasn't called for interference with regard to the baseline, he was called for interference for contact with the first baseman, when he knocked his glove off. He also explained that, as a judgement call, it is not reviewable.

The Fox announcers, to a person, then immediately disagreed with interference for that reason, saying that, in their opinion, the runner has the right to lunge for the base, within the baseline (and Torre had just admitted that he wasn't called for be outside the baseline), and knocking the glove off of the first baseman's hand was incidental to the runner's attempt to reach base, but not interference.

Yeah, I agree with the announcers. Thats BS a right handed 1st basemen is going to catch the ball in the baseline a lot of times--thats not really fair to the runner.

jtbadge
10-29-2019, 10:37 PM

Thats exactly why folks like having a lefty there--total BS but Rendon made up for it

+1, and a terrible offline throw didn't help, either.

Smoltz had an interesting point - the players get coached to throw at the runner to try and draw that call.

But what is the runner supposed to do, not run towards the bag? Insane call.

Blue Jays
10-29-2019, 11:02 PM
It will be an exciting Game 7 to watch!

vqdriver
10-29-2019, 11:57 PM
It will be an exciting Game 7 to watch!

I'm in.

tbike4
10-30-2019, 06:37 AM

Rendon looks to be the the most laid back, coolest, ice running through his veins hitter. His stance at the plate is, I'm going to stand here and check out a pitch that I can pound out of the park, if not then make contact with the ball and make it look easy.

He did break into a big smile after the last out.

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 06:41 AM
Our daughter went to school and lived in DC until last year and is a huge Nats fan. This was a point of major contention for years within the family of exclusively Giants fans.

However, in this case I'm all in for the Nats and Scherzer tonight. I will be again wearing my Expos hat.

Spaghetti Legs
10-30-2019, 06:44 AM
Our daughter went to school and lived in DC until last year and is a huge Nats fan. This was a point of major contention for years within the family of exclusively Giants fans.

However, in this case I'm all in for the Nats and Scherzer tonight. I will be again wearing my Expos hat.

Another Giants fan pulling for the Nats. It pleased me to watch them stick it to the Bums.

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Another Giants fan pulling for the Nats. It pleased me to watch them stick it to the Bums.
I'd root for the plague against the Dodgers.

OtayBW
10-30-2019, 07:28 AM
If it's a 'judgement' call, then what the ahem is NOT a judgement call?
Only way he would have been called safe, IMO, is if he ran outside the baseline.

trener1
10-30-2019, 08:27 AM
First off responding to otayBW, a non judgment call would be say if the runner was tagged or not, so if the umpire calls him out and the replay shows that he touched the bag before he was tagged, that could be reversed.

Back to the topic at hand, I watched that Joe Torre interview and he was full of s-----t, you could tell that even he knew it, but he has to say the right thing.
What was illuminating to me was that not one single announcer from John Smoltz to Big Papa etc... defended the call, it seemed pretty unanimous that it was a insane call, I watched every replay and Turner ran very clean there was clearly no intent or anything to deviate from his line (in cycling lingo) or interfere with the first baseman in any way, even Joe Torre didn't give an explanation on what he proposed Turner should have done.

I really had no rooting interest and was slightly rooting for the Astros because I am an American League guy, but now I am all in for the Nats.

And by the way can we talk about Strasbuerg, what a gem of a throwback game he pitched in arguably the biggest game of his life.

fiamme red
10-30-2019, 08:47 AM

However, in this case I'm all in for the Nats and Scherzer tonight. I will be again wearing my Expos hat.Go Expos!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNQzaV3VAAAZ8wi.jpg

OtayBW
10-30-2019, 09:52 AM
First off responding to otayBW, a non judgment call would be say if the runner was tagged or not, so if the umpire calls him out and the replay shows that he touched the bag before he was tagged, that could be reversed.
But it would also seem that a close play at the plate, or on a throw to 1st base would be a judgement call, or no???

vqdriver
10-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Well, the biggest loser so far has been home field advantage

unterhausen
10-30-2019, 10:21 AM
I saw the videos of the bs call online, so I went and watched the rest of the game. So it's a win for Fox anyway.

Blue Jays
10-30-2019, 10:28 AM
"...so I went and watched the rest of the game..."
Going all the way to a final Game 7 sure does make it an exciting World Series! :banana:

buddybikes
10-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Win for FOX, but the next generation of FOX sports viewers is going bye bye - who's 7 year old did you keep up to watch?

Hawker
10-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Crazy strange huh? I'm not a gambler, but I wonder what odds you could have gotten in Vegas on this scenario?

ctcyclistbob
10-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Crazy strange huh? I'm not a gambler, but I wonder what odds you could have gotten in Vegas on this scenario?

This is the first time ever that the visiting team has won each of the first six World Series games; I think that applies to other major sports in a multi-game series as well. NBA, NHL ...

makoti
10-30-2019, 11:24 AM
This is the first time ever that the visiting team has won each of the first six World Series games; I think that applies to other major sports in a multi-game series as well. NBA, NHL ...

So the off season lament for whoever loses: "We'd be World Champs if we could have won just ONE home game..."

jadedaid
10-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Regarding that call... As the Washington Post put it - " Trea Turner was ruled out for, well, running to first base." That said what an amazing game to watch yesterday.

Rendon earned a spot in my heart after that performance. At no point did he look phased by anything, had an amazing defensive play which helped the Nats out in what could have been a bad situation and delivered *that* homerun after the weird call. Talk about ice cold.

trener1
10-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Win for FOX, but the next generation of FOX sports viewers is going bye bye - who's 7 year old did you keep up to watch?

Yeah totally, my 6 year old is a huge baseball fan, but basically the game STARTS at his bed time, ridicules that they don't start the games earlier so that young kids can at least catch 2-3 innings.

trener1
10-30-2019, 11:54 AM
But it would also seem that a close play at the plate, or on a throw to 1st base would be a judgement call, or no???

Hmm I am not sure.
I guess it kind of like in Football, it's rather clear if a guy crosses the plane, but pass interference can be "subjective"

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Yeah totally, my 6 year old is a huge baseball fan, but basically the game STARTS at his bed time, ridicules that they don't start the games earlier so that young kids can at least catch 2-3 innings.
There's no money in starting the games earlier.

jtbadge
10-30-2019, 12:07 PM

The games start at 5pm on the west coast. Those with full time jobs miss a third of the game before they get home!

madsciencenow
10-30-2019, 12:33 PM
I’ve lived in both Eastern and Central time zones and concluded that Central is the best for sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 12:38 PM
I’ve lived in both Eastern and Central time zones and concluded that Central is the best for sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just not for weather :D

makoti
10-30-2019, 01:01 PM
The games start at 5pm on the west coast. Those with full time jobs miss a third of the game before they get home!

Honestly, I miss a lost day of productivity while listening to the game during the day, on the radio. I wish they had day games again.

jtbadge
10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Honestly, I miss a lost day of productivity while listening to the game during the day, on the radio. I wish they had day games again.

I love an early sporting event, don't get me wrong. I'm still following the Kansas City sports teams I grew up on and nothing beats a 10am kickoff or first pitch now that I am on the west coast, but playoff games need to be at night.

Jeff N.
10-30-2019, 01:39 PM
My son played against Strasburg in Little league. He pitched the game of his life last night, that's for sure. Tony Gwynn called him "The Freak" when he played at San Diego State.

bikinchris
10-30-2019, 01:41 PM

And on the East Coast, they often finish at midnight. Not good for working people who get up around 6am either. 11pm finishes aren't wonderful for us central time viewers either. Nothing is perfect and that's why DVRs are so wonderful. I would prefer early games.

makoti
10-30-2019, 02:05 PM
I love an early sporting event, don't get me wrong. I'm still following the Kansas City sports teams I grew up on and nothing beats a 10am kickoff or first pitch now that I am on the west coast, but playoff games need to be at night.

My new best friend. Chiefs & Royals!

ctcyclistbob
10-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Great game tonight!

I'm rooting for the Nats, but what a horrible strike 3 call on Correa in the 8th.

yarbsr02
10-30-2019, 09:39 PM
Nats started a little slow but are hitting the ball well. Go Nats! (Agree w Correa call - matter of time til computer strike zone for balls/strikes I guess).

Louis
10-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Hard to believe that the road team may well win every single game in the WS

yarbsr02
10-30-2019, 09:51 PM
Congrats to the Nationals!

Louis
10-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Congrats to the Nationals!

+1 from St Louis

tbike4
10-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Yippeee!!!!

ctcyclistbob
10-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Way To Go Nationals!

azrider
10-30-2019, 10:04 PM
Congrats to Nationals. They made my Cardinals look pathetic.

Also happy to see any team that Roberto Osuna is apart of be on the losing end.

Hai H. Ho
10-30-2019, 10:14 PM
I am from Houston. One heck of a series. Congrats to The Nationals.

AngryScientist
10-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Yea I don’t watch much baseball, but this was a good entertaining series. Cheers to the Nats.

Blue Jays
10-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Now that was some entertaining sports! Very fun to watch.

donevwil
10-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Great series and well earned victory.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

pdmtong
10-30-2019, 10:55 PM
It’s sport. A team gets hot and can win it despite the other team best over the season

SF Giants 2012

Nationals 2019.

charliedid
10-30-2019, 10:59 PM
Now that was some entertaining sports! Very fun to watch.

No doubt.

Matthew
10-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Congrats to the Nationals. Glad to see Scherzer and Sanchez get a World Series win. But damn, wish it was with my beloved Tigers.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2019, 05:32 AM
I watch the series the next day on youtube cuz I gots no cable..I also started getting NYTimes email 'bulletins' for some reason..made the mistake of opening the 'one' this morning..DAMN!!

BUT great for the Nats..it's always 'better' to have the home team win it all but oh well...I'll watch it anyway.

Jeff N.
10-31-2019, 06:21 AM
I want Strasburg's MVP 2020 'Vette!

Elefantino
10-31-2019, 06:31 AM

Me too!

makoti
10-31-2019, 06:41 AM

Shoulda been Soto

OtayBW
10-31-2019, 07:05 AM
I'm not really a car nut, but that 2020 Vette - holy crap! :hello:

Elefantino
10-31-2019, 07:14 AM
Shoulda been Soto
I'd have voted for Strasburg. Two huge road wins.

(Flashback: In 1988, there were many writers who voted for Gibson as the MVP even though he had only one at-bat. Hershiser won two games and the MVP.)

trener1
10-31-2019, 07:51 AM
I think Strasburg deserved, 2 shutdown games.
Soto was up there and Randon would have been a good candidate as well.
That home run right after that crazy call was HUGE, and he had a big h it again last night.

And that car....

makoti
10-31-2019, 09:12 AM
I'd have voted for Strasburg. Two huge road wins.

(Flashback: In 1988, there were many writers who voted for Gibson as the MVP even though he had only one at-bat. Hershiser won two games and the MVP.)

Soto played ever game.
Soto homered 3 times, I think.
You can argue that Soto sparked at least one of those 4 wins.
In this series, every time a team won, a pitcher got a "big road win".
Pitchers & QBs get too much credit/blame

scottcw2
10-31-2019, 10:17 AM
It’s sport. A team gets hot and can win it despite the other team best over the season

SF Giants 2012

Nationals 2019.

SF Giants 2010

SF Giants 2014

jtbadge
10-31-2019, 10:28 AM
SF Giants 2014

Not the same at all - 2014 saw a matchup of two wild card teams, and the Royals took extra innings in the play-in game to even make the playoffs.

This year's Astros were about as dominant in the regular season as any team we have seen (especially at home), vs a Nationals team that didn't turn it on until halfway through the season.

eddief
10-31-2019, 11:21 AM
Both great. Rendon barely has a heartbeat and Soto is so much swagger at the plate. Will be interesting to watch Soto and see if his attitude stays this "up" throughout his career. Fun to watch him have such a good time with confidence...and a smile and results.

pdmtong
10-31-2019, 03:43 PM
SF Giants 2010

SF Giants 2014

Not the same at all - 2014 saw a matchup of two wild card teams, and the Royals took extra innings in the play-in game to even make the playoffs.

This year's Astros were about as dominant in the regular season as any team we have seen (especially at home), vs a Nationals team that didn't turn it on until halfway through the season.

which was the year that SF won three game sevens? I forgot...

Astros won 107.

If Nationals don't get by the Dodgers maybe the WS Champ is different...

scottcw2
10-31-2019, 03:58 PM

Astros won 107.

No "maybe" about it.

Jeff N.
10-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Me too!Yep. The 'Vette kinda looks like it's smiling too!

Blue Jays
10-31-2019, 04:41 PM
The stat that is craziest is the "no home team victories" thing for the series.
It will be many, many, many years before that phenomenon is seen again!

Jeff N.
10-31-2019, 05:24 PM
A true paradox.

Elefantino
10-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Astros won 107.

Yes, the Astros would have beaten the Dodgers again.

72gmc
10-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Strasburg should trade up and become a gentleman racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWr-euCGzQ

Jeff N.
10-31-2019, 07:29 PM
Strasburg should trade up and become a gentleman racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWr-euCGzQ

Wow!

Louis
10-31-2019, 07:38 PM

If so, I hope for his sake that he drives better than Roy Halladay flew.

jtbadge
10-31-2019, 07:53 PM
holy tasteless post, batman

maybe try one at the expense of notorious yokel Madison Bumgarner, at least he didn't die crashing his dirt bike

Louis
10-31-2019, 08:00 PM
It's a non-trivial risk with those guys.

(Edit: I also just thought of Jose Fernandez. It's IMO a serious and legitimate issue.)

tctyres
10-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Scherzer couldn't put on a shirt two days ago because of back spasms.
Greinke hasn't played more than 5 innings in recent memory.

It's not about the best team. It's about having the best dope. I was sort of sad to learn this. It's much worse than pro cycling.

OtayBW
10-31-2019, 08:30 PM
It's not about the best team. It's about having the best dope. I was sort of sad to learn this. It's much worse than pro cycling.Really?

oldpotatoe
11-01-2019, 05:42 AM
Scherzer couldn't put on a shirt two days ago because of back spasms.
Greinke hasn't played more than 5 innings in recent memory.

It's not about the best team. It's about having the best dope. I was sort of sad to learn this. It's much worse than pro cycling.

Gee, even tho 'bad', is it legal? Are there many in cycling with MDs that dance around the 'rules? Know by heart which 'substance' is legal at what amounts?
How often do the football player go into the locker room for a 'shot' and then come back out. You think that sort of stuff doesn't happen in EVERY pro sport all over the world? Ya think professional soccer is clean?

Get over it sir. Doping in various 'legal' forms in ALL sports(even golf, yo!!)have been around for a hundred years and will be around in a hundred more.

YOU pay for this entertainment, you get what you pay for.

tctyres
11-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Read the stuff you didn't highlight.

I didn't realize you were the censor of the forum ^

Get over it. You're not.

72gmc
11-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Not one to break up a good headbutting session, I'll nevertheless use the fading memory of the 2019 World Series to point out this baseball-related fact:

The October 14 New Yorker cover (https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cover-story/cover-story-2019-10-14)is outstanding.

OtayBW
11-01-2019, 11:41 AM
I had a strong, visceral reaction to this: :D

denapista
11-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Yes, the Astros would have beaten the Dodgers again.

In the postseason it's about your pitching no doubt, and the Dodgers bet on Kershaw. Total opposite of how The Nats didn't bet on Bryce Harper, granted Nats made an offer, just not the "We'll give you the farm" offer..

Houston's starting rotation would have most likely gotten to the overzealous dodger hitters.

jtbadge
11-01-2019, 12:03 PM
In the postseason it's about your pitching no doubt, and the Dodgers bet on Kershaw. Total opposite of how The Nats didn't bet on Bryce Harper, granted Nats made an offer, just not the "We'll give you the farm" offer..

Houston's starting rotation would have most likely gotten to the overzealous dodger hitters.

This seems like a coaching issue more than anything. Roberts and the rest of the staff have them sticking to their "homers only" attitude even after it fails every post season. It's just not a sustainable strategy.

72gmc
11-01-2019, 01:11 PM
I had a strong, visceral reaction to this: :D

I was looking for the onions!

The artist tells a little story with each panel. I'm a fan of the catcher tossing the ball back to the pitcher--it's always the same, with so much lack of urgency.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Read the stuff you didn't highlight.

I didn't realize you were the censor of the forum ^

Get over it. You're not.

NOT trying to censor anything or anybody but to say any sport is 'lots worse than______"..doesn't make sense..doping is EVERYWHERE in professional sports..
I was sort of sad to learn this. It's much worse than pro cycling.

You mean, 'getting a shot' in all professional ball sports is news to you?
Been pretty common for a long time. I don't 'like' it either but it is what it is, and it's also entertainment with a LOT of $ involved. MLB, NFL, NBA, NFL, "put name of sport governing body here" are as 'in bed' with doping culture as the UCI is.

rwsaunders
11-02-2019, 07:45 AM
The New Yorker has posted so many great baseball cartoons over the years...my favorite. On a related note, why didn’t the Astros’ manager pull Osuna? The Nats were rocking his world in game 7 and it seemed like the manager’s head wasn’t in the game. My observation only upon watching a total of six innings of MLB this year...all in game 7 of the World Series.

charliedid
11-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Giving someone a car for playing winning baseball is so weird.

Jeff N.
11-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Giving someone a car for playing winning baseball is so weird.
Agreed, especially to a mulit-zillionaire like Strasburg. I think it's mostly done for it's advertising "on a grand stage" for GM, resulting in thousands of people heading to their local Chevy dealership to have a look at the new Corvette and getting talked into buying something else on the lot.

Jeff N.
11-02-2019, 08:13 AM
The New Yorker has posted so many great baseball cartoons over the years...my favorite. On a related note, why didn’t the Astros’ manager pull Osuna? The Nats were rocking his world in game 7 and it seemed like the manager’s head wasn’t in the game. My observation only upon watching a total of six innings of MLB this year...all in game 7 of the World Series.Right. Or, "I've got an idea...throw strikes but nothing he can hit".

charliedid
11-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Agreed, especially to a mulit-zillionaire like Strasburg. I think it's mostly done for it's advertising "on a grand stage" for GM, resulting in thousands of people heading to their local Chevy dealership to have a look at the new Corvette and getting talked into buying something else on the lot.

Oh, no question. Still weird :-)

Elefantino
11-02-2019, 08:44 AM
This was THE classic car presentation at the Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvxrWIKqdbo

72gmc
11-02-2019, 10:04 AM
^^^ without clicking the link, I'm going to guess McGwire and the classic Corvette.

makoti
11-02-2019, 01:52 PM
^^^ without clicking the link, I'm going to guess McGwire and the classic Corvette.

Nope. And I ain't telling

pdmtong
11-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Assuming he really just got a cortisone injection, I am completely fine with that.

I had a similar injection for L5-S1 disc issue and I went form painful agony to yea, let's ride in a few hours.

The SI article about them being 16 down and then winning 5 elimination games was well done.

It's sport. Even the 16-0 Patriots lost the last one.

vav
11-02-2019, 05:03 PM
it's sport. Even the 16-0 patriots lost the last one.

18-0 ;)

pdmtong
11-02-2019, 06:12 PM
18-0 ;)
My mind is going. Whats a helmet catch between forum members?

OTOH no one will ever be able to convince me TB12 tucked it. Woodson caused a fumble and it should have been OAK in the SB that year.