PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help! I gotta relax....New Age/Classical?????

ti_boi
12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Anyone could please make some good recommendations on some super mellow and melodic new age and classic albums they like....I am ready to download from iTunes...minimal vocals....strings and/or piano preferred....THANKS! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! :rolleyes:

Louis
12-21-2006, 11:53 AM
If you're an NPR listener you may already know this, if not check out: Hearts of Space (http://www.hos.com/)

Bobbo
12-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Andreas Vollenweider. Pat Metheny's "Secret Story", if you want something a bit more mainstream.

davids
12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
ti_boy,

You're No Rock'n'Roll Fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wepP1QCMrcQ&mode=related&search=).

Don't click the link! It's full of words & guitars!!!

KevinK
12-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Some of my favorite fingerstyle guitar CDs:

Alex DeGrassi---The Water Garden
Muriel Anderson---Hometown Live
Muriel Anderson---Theme for Two Friends (guitar and cello)
Chet Atkins---Almost Alone

Kevin

don'TreadOnMe
12-21-2006, 12:29 PM
"The Pearl", by Harold Budd/Brian Eno w/Daniel Lanois

don'TreadOnMe

tv_vt
12-21-2006, 12:30 PM
George Winston - solo piano - the Montana album and December album. Both of these are quite nice.

Mozart piano sonatas - very nice.

Bruch and Mendehlson (sp?) - violin concertos

Yo-Yo Ma - Inspired by Bach.

Pat Metheny - solo acoustic - I think the name of the cd is Quiet Night.

With vocals - Ella Fitzgerald - Intimate Ella, I think it's called. With just piano.

Also with vocals - Dianne Reeves - soundtrack to "Good Night and Good Luck."

Thom

superunleaded
12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
My all time favorite classical CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Treasures-Johann-Sebastian-Bach/dp/B00005YPM4

For the new age one, I like Yanni's "Reflections of Passion" or Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast. These 2 lulls me to sleep.

Larry Carlton's Collection (the first one with Sleepwalk on it) is a good one too.

-gas

Steve Hampsten
12-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Brian Eno:
"Music for Airports, Vol. 1"
"Discrete Music"

Keith Jarrett:
"Koln Concert"

seefeel:
"quique"

aphex twin - various

good luck!

slinkywizard
12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Artists and their albums I like:
Biosphere: Cirque, Substrata,Shenzou
Biosphere & the Higher Intellligence Agency: Polar sequences, Birmingham frequencies
Future sound of London: Lifeforms
I second Brian Eno`s music for airports

sspielman
12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Anything by Robert Rich....John Serrie.....Gary Stratsos...
Herats of Space is a good short program, but the Philadelphia Area is blessed with a GREAT ambient program..Star's End airs every sat night sun. morning from 1-6 am... They used to say "whatever it was that you were doing at that hour, they would like to think that their program made it better"....

victoryfactory
12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Hawaiian Slack key guitar on Dancing Cat Records (there are several)

Desert Solitare (new age) steve roach et al

Anything by R Carlos Nakai (Native American ) Flute

Rachmaninoff Vespers (Choral music)

Bill Evans Waltz for Debby

VF

itsflantastic
12-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Check out:

* Chopin Nocturnes, if possible, get them played by Artur Rubenstein (sometimes spelled arthur)

* Eric Satie, if possible, played by Aldo Ciccolini. Some of the songs are far from relaxing, but the ones that are, are worth it. If you only want specific selections from him download all of the Gymnopedies and all of the Gnossienes.

*Some Debussy is great. I'd start there with the arabesques.

This is all classical piano music. Enjoy.

Oh- and check out this album-

Milt Jackson - "Sunflower" Very relaxing. 70s jazz. Nice stuff.

And Tiboy, do let me know what you think of any and all of this when you do download it. I'm curious.

Dan

itsflantastic
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I second the Bill Evans Waltz for Debby mentioned above. You may also want to check out his record "Conversations with Myself" It's very cool.

ti_boi
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey!

thanks for the recommendations....I just dowloaded the jarrett Koln Concert....sounds very nice -- I also bought Hearts of Space Universe 4.

As for my exsiting collection (on CD) I have a little Pat Metheny with Lyle Mays, I have the Music for Airports CD....definitely great stuff....I also like Peter Kater a lot....

jthurow
12-21-2006, 04:56 PM
You might like some Brad Mehldau too...perhaps Elegiac Cycle (http://www.bradmehldau.com/music/elegiac_cycle.html).

jimi

ti_boi
12-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Cool....cause right at this moment...I am LOVING the Jarret.....jazzy....melodic....classical all rolled into one....Therapeutic!!! (along with that spiked eggnog) :cool: :cool: :cool: