PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? New bike shipping damage

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 05:40 PM
So I just received a mountain bike I ordered direct from the manufacturer. The outside of the box did not look damaged at all, so I opened it up and built it. Then I found:

A) the front rotor was completely messed up. out of true a few millimeters in both directions. Wavy left and right during rotation.

B) A decent sized paint chip in the rear dropout. Its a good size so I looked in the box for it so i could see if it happened during shipping, but I couldnt find it so im guessing it was like that when they put it in the box. Its a clean chip with no other damage, so im guessing it was just a bad paint job.

I emailed them and they said they would send me a some touch up paint, new rotor, and reimburse my shipping charge($99). My only other option is to tear down the whole bike, pack it up, and ship to them for an exchange.

What would you do here? I dont care a ton about the chip, but im not sure if its going to get bigger over time and idk how well id be able to touch it up. This is the most expensive bike ive ever owned($>2300), though I understand its a mountain bike, and this stuff will happen eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/jkHKjkS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wd2QAfO.jpg

Jaybee
01-25-2019, 05:43 PM
For $99 in your pocket, I would just go touch up paint and new rotor.

That is a big chip (though the TA head will hide most of it), but if you use your MTB correctly, it will have several chips soon.

weaponsgrade
01-25-2019, 05:58 PM
For $99 in your pocket, I would just go touch up paint and new rotor.

That is a big chip (though the TA head will hide most of it), but if you use your MTB correctly, it will have several chips soon.

me too.

RWeb
01-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Good attitude about the chip. It looks like a metal rear triangle, so I’d definitely touch it up. It might be extra effort to get a paint shop to come up with a good match if the manufacturer cannot provide a paint code that matches one from the main paint providers in the automotive industry. I’d ask the bike manufacturer to provide both a true rotor and touch up paint plus the free shipping. That would certainly appease me.

I was in a similar situation, but it was a scratched up handle bar and fork crown. I chalked it up to someone doing the assembly prior to shipping. A chip in the frame paint would bug me only a little more. Like already said, I thought to myself, “It is a mountain bike.” After 3 months of wear and tear, the scratches turned out to be trivial for me.

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Yeah this is what ive been leaning toward more. I really need to look at the bike carefully in case there are other things wrong that I havent noticed yet. A shock gouge would be unfortunate.

buddybikes
01-25-2019, 06:14 PM
they need to reimburse you professional assembly fees. You shouldn't be on the hook for replacing the rotor. (even if easy)

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 06:16 PM
they need to reimburse you professional assembly fees. You shouldn't be on the hook for replacing the rotor. (even if easy)

I would ask for that, but with the bike they include a pretty nice tool set with a torque wrench and torque specs for the entire bike. Not sure if it would fly.

Jaybee
01-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Good call on checking fork stanchions and dropper. Looks like a FS, so rear shock too. A scratch there will become an operational issue in no time.

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 06:29 PM
Good call on checking fork stanchions and dropper. Looks like a FS, so rear shock too. A scratch there will become an operational issue in no time.

Yep also another thing that I thought was off. Apparently they ship their bikes with the dropper already installed(Understandable w/internal routing), but in order to fit it in a smaller box, the dropper is in the down position. I was always under the impression that having the dropper in the down position for long periods of time could do some unnecessary wear to the shock/seals and whatnot. It could have been down for a year!

Jaybee
01-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Depends on the dropper model, but for most, just sitting there in down position won't hurt it. It's only when the bike is picked up by the saddle or some other stress happens that the seals are affected. Maybe check the manufacturer lit on your particular model?

Peter P.
01-25-2019, 06:53 PM
I think the manufacturer did more than enough to reimburse you.

As you said, and has been pointed out, you'll soon acquire paint scars of your own, if the bike is used properly. I took into consideration the location of the chip, as I can understand it would be more disappointing if it were in a more visible location. Regardless of the location, they're providing touch up paint, which for a mountain bike is reasonably acceptable.

Take this as a lesson; if you buy an bike direct from a manufacturer, while you should expect a new product, when that turns out to not be the case, you'll find it difficult to get things corrected, due to the distance between the manufacturer and you. Sometimes there's good reason to buy local.

vqdriver
01-25-2019, 07:30 PM
i want to know who includes that! to put a torque wrench in there is pretty cool, even if it's a budget deal.

I would ask for that, but with the bike they include a pretty nice tool set with a torque wrench and torque specs for the entire bike. Not sure if it would fly.

i think the chip isn't a big deal, but could speak to the prep. looks like it came clean off the primer coat. where it is next to the axle makes it a non issue. lucky it wasn't in some lame spot like the middle of the top tube.

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 08:50 PM
I think the manufacturer did more than enough to reimburse you.

As you said, and has been pointed out, you'll soon acquire paint scars of your own, if the bike is used properly. I took into consideration the location of the chip, as I can understand it would be more disappointing if it were in a more visible location. Regardless of the location, they're providing touch up paint, which for a mountain bike is reasonably acceptable.

Take this as a lesson; if you buy an bike direct from a manufacturer, while you should expect a new product, when that turns out to not be the case, you'll find it difficult to get things corrected, due to the distance between the manufacturer and you. Sometimes there's good reason to buy local.

Agreed. But just so there isnt any false impressions, I wasnt hinting at the manufacturer wasnt doing enough to help me out with this. They have been very helpful. I was more just trying gauge the hassle of repacking and waiting for a new bike and then building again vs just living with it.

It was not an easy choice to decide on this brand. I called all the bike shops in my area and for a similar 29er with only an NX group on it, it would have been an extra $1000+. I really wanted to buy local, but it was hard to justify it. That and this was considered the trail bike of the year.

Jaybee
01-25-2019, 08:56 PM
You seem to not want to mention the manufacturer by name, but there are enough clues here to figure it out. You have a rad bike, and it's good to hear that the brand has been good to work with. Enjoy the ride!

fmradio516
01-25-2019, 09:42 PM
You seem to not want to mention the manufacturer by name, but there are enough clues here to figure it out. You have a rad bike, and it's good to hear that the brand has been good to work with. Enjoy the ride!

Hint: Christopher Walken just did a promo video for the carbon version. :)

Ken Robb
01-25-2019, 10:13 PM
Mtn. bikes are gonna get chips so I'd take the $$ and replacement parts if there isn't other damage.

nmrt
01-26-2019, 12:10 AM
give me a Y
and i'll raise you a T! :banana:

nice bike! enjoy!!

Hint: Christopher Walken just did a promo video for the carbon version. :)