PDA

View Full Version : Research shows short gym session help endurance athletes gain strength—minus bulk

KarlC
09-24-2018, 03:40 PM
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a23283460/benefits-of-short-strength-training-sessions/

Why 13 Minutes Pumping Iron Might Be Better Than Spending Forever at the Gym

New research shows a short gym session can help endurance athletes gain strength—minus that unwanted bulk.

For decades, many endurance athletes like cyclists have avoided lifting weights for fear of gaining unwanted muscle mass that would weigh them down rather than speed them up.

Now, new research shows that not only can the right kind of resistance training put more power in your pedals, but also you can start gaining strength in less time than it takes to set up a pair of tubeless tires—just 13 minutes a session, according to the study in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30153194

In the study, researchers at CUNY Lehman College in the Bronx and other institutions set out to determine the impact various set and repetition combinations would have on muscle strength, endurance, and hypertrophy, or how big their muscles grew.

After taking baseline measurements, the researchers divided 34 resistance-trained men into three groups and had them all perform an exercise routine, which included 8 to 12 reps of seven upper and lower body exercises. One group performed five sets of each exercise, with about 90 seconds of rest between sets—a high volume approach that had them in the gym for over an hour. The second, medium-volume group performed three sets of each exercise, which took about 40 minutes to complete. Finally, a low-volume group performed just one set of each exercise, getting them in and out of the gym in just 13 minutes.

Each group performed their assigned workout three times per week for eight weeks. At the end of the study, all three groups got stronger and improved their muscular endurance. Surprisingly, there were no significant difference among the groups in strength and endurance gains: The quick-hit lifters enjoyed the same improvements as those who were in the gym five times as long.

The only difference between the high volume and low volume lifters was muscle size. While all the men experienced some increase in muscle size, those lifting higher volumes saw the most significant gains. In short, the more sets the men lifted, the bigger their muscles got. But again, the burlier men weren’t stronger, just beefier.

That’s good news for endurance athletes who benefit from increased strength, but can pay a weight penalty for too much mass. The factor that matters most is lifting to failure—pushing hard enough that you truly can’t eek out another rep. If you do that, one set is all you need to reap the rewards of strength training, without sweating unwanted gains in size.

Study - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30153194

Resistance Training Volume Enhances Muscle Hypertrophy.
Schoenfeld BJ1, Contreras B2, Krieger J3, Grgic J4, Delcastillo K1, Belliard R1, Alto A1.
Author information
1 - Department of Health Sciences, CUNY Lehman College, Bronx, NY.
2 - Sport Performance Research Institute, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand.
3 - Weightology, LLC, Redmond, WA.
4 - Institute for Health and Sport (IHES), Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia.

Abstract
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate muscular adaptations between low-, moderate-, and high-volume resistance training (RT) protocols in resistance-trained men.

METHODS: Thirty-four healthy resistance-trained men were randomly assigned to 1 of 3 experimental groups: a low-volume group (1SET) performing 1 set per exercise per training session (n = 11); a moderate-volume group (3SET) performing 3 sets per exercise per training session (n = 12); or a high-volume group (5SET) performing 5 sets per exercise per training session (n = 11). Training for all routines consisted of three weekly sessions performed on non-consecutive days for 8 weeks. Muscular strength was evaluated with 1 repetition maximum (RM) testing for the squat and bench press. Upper-body muscle endurance was evaluated using 50% of subjects bench press 1RM performed to momentary failure. Muscle hypertrophy was evaluated using B-mode ultrasonography for the elbow flexors, elbow extensors, mid-thigh and lateral thigh.

RESULTS: Results showed significant pre-to-post intervention increases in strength and endurance in all groups, with no significant between-group differences. Alternatively, while all groups increased muscle size in most of the measured sites from pre-to-post intervention, significant increases favoring the higher volume conditions were seen for the elbow flexors, mid-thigh, and lateral thigh.

CONCLUSION: Marked increases in strength and endurance can be attained by resistance-trained individuals with just three, 13-minute weekly sessions over an 8-week period, and these gains are similar to that achieved with a substantially greater time commitment. Alternatively, muscle hypertrophy follows a dose-response relationship, with increasingly greater gains achieved with higher training volumes.

joosttx
09-24-2018, 03:45 PM
To pile on here. Linked is an article about Kate Courtney’s training prior to winning the worldcup. Apparently she increased strength training.

https://www.whoop.com/the-locker/fitness-tracker-data-world-champion-kate-courtney/

93KgBike
09-24-2018, 04:04 PM
If I never see another gym or free-weight rack, or have to smell the gym, it'll still be too soon.

I really wish they'd do a study like this with yard work. Or carrying the kids.

In many ways, I am so much stronger now than the years when being fit could earn me a buck; especially mentally.

echappist
09-24-2018, 04:07 PM
take the following with the grain(s) of salt that comes with all personal anecdotes

I'm the type who would use to chase the power-based metrics. TSS/week above all else, that type of stuff. For a long time, i believed that all forms of strength work (including free weights, machines, or even big gear work) were worthless, as power = torque x cadence (or rather, angular momentum), and that the same power could simply be produced by having a faster cadence.

As a downside to this approach, I was poor at handling fatigue, and the second day following a hard workout is usually an unproductive day for me. Furthermore, I had a non-existent sprint. I have been able to improve both with strength work (and I didn't use heavy weights, often doing plyometrics). More importantly, I realized that certain strength work allowed me to hold my position on the bike.

This is even more important when one's not road racing, as CX, MTB, and even ITT require more conditioning than road racing does.

edit: come to think of it, i should probably add push-ups to me to-do list (don't have a place to do pull ups), as i think this would help me "wrestle" my bike better on the trails

joosttx
09-24-2018, 05:42 PM
take the following with the grain(s) of salt that comes with all personal anecdotes

I'm the type who would use to chase the power-based metrics. TSS/week above all else, that type of stuff. For a long time, i believed that all forms of strength work (including free weights, machines, or even big gear work) were worthless, as power = torque x cadence (or rather, angular momentum), and that the same power could simply be produced by having a faster cadence.

As a downside to this approach, I was poor at handling fatigue, and the second day following a hard workout is usually an unproductive day for me. Furthermore, I had a non-existent sprint. I have been able to improve both with strength work (and I didn't use heavy weights, often doing plyometrics). More importantly, I realized that certain strength work allowed me to hold my position on the bike.

This is even more important when one's not road racing, as CX, MTB, and even ITT require more conditioning than road racing does.

edit: come to think of it, i should probably add push-ups to me to-do list (don't have a place to do pull ups), as i think this would help me "wrestle" my bike better on the trails

My anecdotal evidence is that strength training does not effect TSS (or what TSS predicts) as much as endurance training. Therefore, you can become stronger, benefit what you describe above, without much fatique cost.

Horsfan
09-24-2018, 06:40 PM
For some research based information here are some more up to date articles:

Read them and decide for yourself.

http://insight.cumbria.ac.uk/id/eprint/3555/

http://www.uksca.org.uk/

https://peerj.com/articles/3695/

I found this to be interesting - think more along the lines of 'racing into shape' like they used to do... https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-016-0640-8

There is a ton of information out there. I wouldn't let any single article change how you do anything.

Cheers!

nooneline
09-25-2018, 11:32 AM
My anecdotal evidence is that strength training does not effect TSS (or what TSS predicts) as much as endurance training. Therefore, you can become stronger, benefit what you describe above, without much fatique cost.

Yeah, TSS is pretty heavily biased hard toward endurance training. You keep on accruing TSS even after a ride stops producing any actual training benefit.

I can do a 4 hour endurance ride that leaves me feeling fresh for the subsequent day, and I can do a 1 hour sprint workout that leaves me absolutely shredded the next day, but the first one might have 2-3x the TSS of the second one.

When I've lifted, my coach and I would figure out a rough approximate TSS value for lifting days so that those could still roughly contribute to long-term tracking (e.g. the PMC chart). It's just an estimate, but helpful: that way, we tracked weeks when I was lifting 3x/week in addition to on-the-bike workouts vs weeks when I cut lifting out altogether, and those changes were reflected in the PMC.

Mikej
09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Strength means nothing. Oxygen means everything- its all about the red blood cells. This I know by the size of those kids who cream me. They weigh at best 110 lbs.

Clean39T
09-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Strength means nothing. Oxygen means everything- its all about the red blood cells. This I know by the size of those kids who cream me. They weigh at best 110 lbs.

W/Kg, when going uphill at above 5-6%. And you need enough oxygen to make those watts. But you gotta make the watts. And that takes strength.

Ronsonic
09-25-2018, 11:58 AM

Strength means a lot. Yes, you need to oxygenate those muscles, but you need those muscles. What you need is strength sufficient for your type of riding and mass. Which is pretty much what that report is about, getting stronger without adding bulk.

Huge muscle mass isn't important, as those skinny guys passing us prove, but it's the strength to weight ratio.

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 12:02 PM
but... what about getting swole?

Seriously though, that is interesting. Their measures for outcome (bench press and squat) seem somewhat limited. Not sure what the other options are, but definitely worth further study.

echappist
09-25-2018, 12:15 PM

only if one plans to race uphill TTs. anything else, strength has ancillary benefits such as allowing one to hold a position and allowing one to sprint out of the figurative paper bag. I didn't top 1000W when focusing solely on w/kg; that number went up to 1300W with a somewhat steady diet of mostly plyo, bodyweight work, and light free weight work.

macaroon
09-25-2018, 12:27 PM
But you gotta make the watts. And that takes strength.

Depends what you mean by strength, but you're probably wrong.

Just spin fast to go fast (Chris Froome is a good example). This doesn't require "strength" but a good aerobic system.

macaroon
09-25-2018, 12:31 PM
strength has ancillary benefits such as allowing one to hold a position.

Must be some position!

How strong do you need to be to sit on a bike? You just get conditioned to it if you ride enough. Keeping muscles flexible can help though.

Clean39T
09-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Just spin fast to go fast (Chris Froome is a good example). This doesn't require "strength" but a good aerobic system.

He's strong for his weight - that takes recruiting and using all available muscle fibers, feeding them well, firing them efficiently, etc.

But I am probably wrong. It happens frequently.

macaroon
09-25-2018, 12:54 PM
He's strong for his weight - that takes recruiting and using all available muscle fibers, feeding them well, firing them efficiently, etc.

But I am probably wrong. It happens frequently.

:-D

I dunno, is he strong for his weight? Take someone a foot shorter at the same weight and body fat %. I'd bet they'd be able to lift heavier weights, but I doubt they could pedal a bicycle as quickly.

Ralph
09-25-2018, 01:13 PM
I believe in what the article says. Without exact numbers for proof... As an old guy who either rides his bike or goes to the gym, one or the other every day, As I got into my latter 70's, I noticed I was having trouble supporting my spinning style with enough oxygen (either age related or BP meds...losartan), so I started spinning less and riding bigger gears in our mostly group hammer fest rides around here. Then my knees began to bother me. So I started doing traditional leg strengthening exercises with weight machines. That worked, sorta, but hindered my cycling.

So one day maybe 6 months ago....read an article by Dr Mirkin, regarding weight lifting for cyclists....about doing one set until you couldn't do it anymore, and then stopping. So I started doing a set on each thing I do.....starting with enough weight that restricted me to about 25-30 reps. then stop, and go to next machine. He reported this result way before this article was made public.

So anyway....I'm 77 now (5' 9"...used to be 5'10", 155 lbs) , do group rides with younger guys (but not real young).....keep up, etc.....and push bigger gears now, with NO knee pain. And I think I can ride faster and longer than 10-15 years ago. Believe this is something us aging athletes need to study about. BTW...less risk of over use injury in the gym for these old joints. Keep going guys!!

benb
09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
What works for Chris Froome doesn't work for you unless everyone in this thread is a pro racer and I didn't realize it.

Go ahead and lift some weights to maintain strength and avoid injury.

Every time I go too long with nothing but riding I eventually feel like I'm going to break myself doing simple manual labor chores like yard work, or I start ending up feeling like I have muscle imbalances that can lead to injuries.

Probably depends on age.. it was easier to get away with all riding in my 20s.. though I always tended to go back to the weights in the winter.

benb
09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
So one day maybe 6 months ago....read an article by Dr Mirkin, regarding weight lifting for cyclists....about doing one set until you couldn't do it anymore, and then stopping. So I started doing a set on each thing I do.....starting with enough weight that restricted me to about 25-30 reps. then stop, and go to next machine. He reported this result way before this article was made public.

So anyway....I'm 77 now (5' 9"...used to be 5'10", 155 lbs) , do group rides with younger guys (but not real young).....keep up, etc.....and push bigger gears now, with NO knee pain. And I think I can ride faster and longer than 10-15 years ago. Believe this is something us aging athletes need to study about. BTW...less risk of over use injury in the gym for these old joints. Keep going guys!!

Very interesting. I've gravitated towards fewer sets in my weight lifting as I've gotten older (though I'm only 41). There is only so much time to lift weights and there are a lot of different muscles. Where's the factual basis for 5 sets of bench press and then skipping whole sets of muscles cause you ran out of time? Taken to extreme you've got the folks in the weight room who don't even do anything for their lower body.

I have felt like I got good results out of sets of 20 reps vs the 8-12 that is popular or the 5 or so that is recommended by the real muscle heads, but I have not tried 20+ till failure.

I got some tendonitis from riding in August.. been doing knee PT exercises from a previous time I got hurt. Interestingly the PT exercises tend to be high #s of reps per set, although they also tend to be more than one set. Even with just bodyweight those can really wipe you out when you stack up high reps across several different kinds of squats, steps up onto a 20-24" box, lunges, and balance exercises.

Sounds like you're doing fantastic.

General69
09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
I believe in the low rep method. Squats are the baseline. Here is the best workout I found with plenty of rest: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
By yourself a rack and some weights on Craigslist and just do it 3 days a week.

false_Aest
09-25-2018, 02:10 PM
I believe in the low rep method. Squats are the baseline. Here is the best workout I found with plenty of rest: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
By yourself a rack and some weights on Craigslist and just do it 3 days a week.

I spent the past 9 months working out and talking with a strength coach to figure out what I need to do to 1. prevent the onset of "dad bod"; 2. help my riding; 3. keep me from getting much bigger (its easy for me to see size gains).

The reps are kept low (< 5 and 3-5 sets) and I'm focusing on moving the weight quickly and intentionally.

The only time I don't do this is with an extended reverse pyramid 20 reps/20 sec rest, 18 reps/18 sec rest . . . . 2 reps/2sec rest. With BWR, DK + LT100 on the calendar for next year we're trying to get me used to some upper body pain.

Generally I'm in the gym for 60 min (my lunch hour). 30-40 min at the weights. The other 20 min is easy cardio + stretching.

echappist
09-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Of course you are right that just about anyone could generate the torque needed to give you 400W at 95rpm. You do the math, and it’s barely 25 kg of force applied on a crank of ~0.17m long. That’s wthe origin for the quip that strength work isnt necessary.

But cycling is much more than spinning away on a ergometer. As soon as you need to apply any sort of intensity, you are utilizing some of the stored creatine phosphate, and that system benefits from strength work. Im also not the first to observe that core work is needed for a good position, and once one talks about TT positions, a lot comes down to being able to hold a static position.

Lastly, though this is sort of an appeal to authority, even Froome does strength work

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/mh-interview-chris-froome

Ralph
09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I'm not qualified to argue the science of weight training. And understand different folks have different goals, and different emphasis on their activities.

But I live where I can ride year around, and also go to the gym (obviously) year around. And want to make cycling as my primary activity....and weight work (as well as working on balance) as secondary and supportive to both cycling, keeping strength and endurance levels up for all activities, and also for good general health. For these goals....I'm a believer in this article. For just building max strength, or maybe winter weight work, or where your emphasis is not for cycling, less sure about the article results.

benb
09-25-2018, 02:28 PM
The strength work is pretty **** important to maintaining muscle balance and flexibility and core strength required to hold an aggressive position for hours too.

I don't know about stronglifts.. it's like 180 degrees opposite of cycling. I've tried it too. It seems built on the premises:

- All you care about is weight lifting and maximizing your lifts
- You're not going to do any cardio
- You're going to eat like crazy to possibly gain weight
- You're young enough to recover from really nasty workouts and stable enough not to get hurt
- You probably don't care that much about functional strength since just doing Squats/Dead Lifts/Bench Press/Bent-Over Row/Military Press is not going to train you on anything like lateral strength which becomes a weakness with tons of cycling.
- You don't necessarily care about endurance at all since the whole point is to be able to say "I can lift X" to feel good.

You can squat till you're blue and if one leg has gotten stronger than the other it's probably going to stay that way for example. Something I've had to deal with personally... asymmetrical strength from left to right causing issues as I get older. You can't even tell it's going on when you're doing all the bilateral exercises with a barbell that lets the strong side help the weak side.

In other words another flavor of gym rat/body builder style training.

Any training regime is better than nothing though.. and 5x5 is attractive for not taking that long to complete the workouts. I just don't get any impression it's actually the best use of weightlifting time for cyclists.

jmoore
09-25-2018, 03:08 PM
but... what about getting swole?

https://leehayward.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/do-you-even-lift-600x240.jpg

Ronsonic
09-25-2018, 10:23 PM
I believe in what the article says. Without exact numbers for proof... As an old guy who either rides his bike or goes to the gym, one or the other every day, As I got into my latter 70's, I noticed I was having trouble supporting my spinning style with enough oxygen (either age related or BP meds...losartan), so I started spinning less and riding bigger gears in our mostly group hammer fest rides around here. Then my knees began to bother me. So I started doing traditional leg strengthening exercises with weight machines. That worked, sorta, but hindered my cycling.

Thanks for passing along your experience. I'm a good few years behind you, but finding that the weight work makes a big difference in my cycling.

Think I'll try something like you're describing here.

unterhausen
09-26-2018, 08:19 AM
did anyone read the article? Does it have the respective workouts listed in any detail?