PDA

View Full Version : A Story 5 Years in the Making

MattTuck
04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
What you are about to read is a true story. But first, some background. Many of you know me as a prolific (some might use a less favorable characterization) poster on this forum. This is the story of one particular post I made half a decade ago. A fascinating tale of how Picasso once drew a sketch, and 50+ years later, a woman got a tattoo of a bicycle.

Back in February, I got a message here on the forum from someone who had found this thread from 2013 (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128396), and was wanting to get a bicycle tattoo.

Hello,

Whilst putzing around on the internet I stumbled across a line drawing of a bicycle that you posted to this site a while back. I have been considering getting a bicycle tattoo lately, and was wondering if you would be okay if I were to use your piece as reference.

Thank you for your time.

Quick recap of that thread, in case you didn't click through...

Picasso did a series of single line drawings like this one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-levd5ZnslDQ/Tm-zHhOd3LI/AAAAAAAAAJk/gh61jjCU1Xs/s1600/Picasso-Dachshund.jpg

These inspired me to create this:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UwuLbquiBDg/UXb62Mli6_I/AAAAAAAACkA/ndjLD-T1RPY/s795/Bike+Line.png

At first, I thought the message might be a prank. I honestly wasn't sure if it was a real request, but I figured, what the heck, and said, "Sure! and I'll do you one better." I sent along higher res versions of that drawing and several others I had created in a similar style, that had minor variations, and asked that they send me a picture if they go through with getting it tattooed. I was hoping that I wasn't about to see my drawings for sale on some cycling website, but then pretty much forgot about it. Until a few days ago.

I got the following email:

Here is the finished product, healed and settled by around a month.

Once again, thank you so much! I am very happy with it!

So there you have it. A drawing I created on a whim, inspired by a Pablo Picasso drawing, sitting on the paceline servers for half a decade, is now permanently inked onto the skin of a random person out there.

And here is a photo that the user has given me permission to post.

TimD
04-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Skinny tubes and a level top tube - how quaint. :banana:

Edit: I enjoyed the story, thanks.

weisan
04-18-2018, 02:03 PM
I would have asked you to sign off with an autograph below to include with the drawing and make it part of the tattoo.

Chris
04-18-2018, 02:11 PM
That's great Matt

59dualcab
04-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Very cool, love the story. Tattoo isn't bad either.

radsmd
04-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Love it. Reminds me of the line drawings on the “How it’s made” shows and a bit of the A-ha music video for Take on Me.

Gsinill
04-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Great story and outcome!

JLQ
04-18-2018, 03:44 PM
!!

Clean39T
04-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Designed for Campy and Tubulars I presume?

Cool story - and one more reason to love this place...

Plus I just got a new screensaver (your drawing, not their skin...that would be weird...unless you're Buffalo Bill...then it would just be creepy...)

cadence90
04-18-2018, 03:56 PM
There is a great story (perhaps apocryphal, perhaps not) about Picasso and a single line:

Picasso's dealer (in Barcelona, I think) wanted to produce an etching from one of Picasso's drawings.
The edition was to be a limited run (~300 prints, I think).
But, Picasso really liked the piece, and so wanted to produce more etchings.
The dealer refused.
So, after the 300th print, Picasso drew a single line through the original plate, making the drawing even more beautiful, and proceeded to have the new prints run, as many as he wanted.

crankles
04-18-2018, 04:02 PM
if I was to ever get a tatoo, this would be it too.

MattTuck
04-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Skinny tubes and a level top tube - how quaint. :banana:

Edit: I enjoyed the story, thanks.

Haha, the original reference I used for getting the proportions was Gino Bartali's bike... so yeah, old school :)

cmg
04-18-2018, 04:04 PM
I googled Picasso inspired tattoos and these came up. the man of la mancha tat is pretty cool.

Saint Vitus
04-18-2018, 05:02 PM
I googled Picasso inspired tattoos and these came up.

28 years ago I was on the edge about getting all or some of Guernica tattooed onto my back. I see that someone finally took up my idea, I bought a motorcycle instead and never looked back.

charliedid
04-18-2018, 06:06 PM
{Like}

crankles
04-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Haha, the original reference I used for getting the proportions was Gino Bartali's bike... so yeah, old school :)

We can hang. I used the legnano as the ref for a custom paint job.

Salty
04-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Pretty great story, and I like the drawing, too!

Gsinill
04-18-2018, 07:11 PM
From the original 2013 thread:

Looks great, i think you could sell a million T shirts. You have a good eye, keep drawing.

I agree and would buy a few myself...

Louis
04-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Very cool, Matt.

As I first started to read the thread I thought it would be about you finally getting a tat. It's even neater that it inspired someone else.

But back to you - did you ever get one?

Salty
04-18-2018, 07:46 PM
From the original 2013 thread:

I agree and would buy a few myself...

x2

I'll take one long-sleeve white t-shirt with this drawing in black on the front please.

MattTuck
04-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Very cool, Matt.

As I first started to read the thread I thought it would be about you finally getting a tat. It's even neater that it inspired someone else.

But back to you - did you ever get one?

Funny you say that. No, haven't done it yet. But, it is something I'd like to do at some point. I just watched this week's episode of Ink Master. Love the show, and love seeing what they can do. But this season's premise was a scam.

Anyway, if I were to get one, it would be hard to choose the style and subject matter. I have a bunch of ideas in my head.

Louis
04-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Anyway, if I were to get one, it would be hard to choose the style and subject matter. I have a bunch of ideas in my head.

I'd say choose one of the simpler ideas and a not terribly obvious spot and go for it. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge deal and life goes on as it did before.

After all, if your sketch was enough to inspire a complete stranger, you ought to be able to come up with something for yourself!

avalonracing
04-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I remember your original post! I even commented on it and asked for a custom copy of it... which I lost in "The Great Harddrive Crash of 2013" before I printed it. I liked your drawing then and I still like it.

MattTuck
04-19-2018, 07:02 AM
I remember your original post! I even commented on it and asked for a custom copy of it... which I lost in "The Great Harddrive Crash of 2013" before I printed it. I liked your drawing then and I still like it.

If you still want a copy, PM me. Some of the comments make me think I should have 100 copies printed up and see if I can sell them. Aren't their websites that do that type of thing for you?

avalonracing
04-19-2018, 07:27 AM
If you still want a copy, PM me. Some of the comments make me think I should have 100 copies printed up and see if I can sell them. Aren't their websites that do that type of thing for you?

T-shirts, my man. They are like tattoos that you can change every day. Sent you a PM.

pdonk
04-19-2018, 08:23 AM
My nephew made a killing on a set of tshirt designs. He lived for 3 years off the sales.

Almost every city will have a full screen or transfer design print shop that can do them. The "expensive" part is getting the screen done.

Send a few to magazine's and websites, have a small website and see what happens. Nice thing is with a single line you have many options for colours.

marciero
04-19-2018, 09:10 AM
I agree that your drawing is quite good. It would make great postcards, or blank gift cards. If you had these printed up on nice card stock I would certainly buy some.

Drmojo
04-19-2018, 11:45 AM
tattoo never
my wife has enough for both of us (35)

crankles
04-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Funny you say that. No, haven't done it yet. But, it is something I'd like to do at some point. I just watched this week's episode of Ink Master. Love the show, and love seeing what they can do. But this season's premise was a scam.

you and mo ganji should hang.

https://www.moganji.com/gallery

overmyhead
04-20-2018, 12:56 PM
I have always loved the Picasso sculpture with the saddle (head) and handlebars as livestock horns. I have seen it copied so many times but the original is so subtle it's downright beautiful.

bobswire
04-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Very cool Matt and beats stick drawing since it flows much like a real bicycle.

beeatnik
04-20-2018, 02:02 PM
tattoo never
my wife has enough for both of us (35)

we're married to the same woman

MattTuck
04-20-2018, 03:42 PM
you and mo ganji should hang.

https://www.moganji.com/gallery

yeah, we should. That's very cool work he does.