PDA

View Full Version : removing decals again

Tickdoc
01-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Bit of a rehash here, but with a twist.

I've had great luck removing decals with the safe bubbling paint remover.

Does it work on non-anodized surfaces?

Specifically, will that method work on Ritchey's "wet White" finish?

Just curious if anyone has tried, or if it will only strip the paint underneath.

I can try it on an inconspicuous area first, but hate to mar the underlying white.

zambenini
01-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Try steaming it? Like with a clothes steamer and then simple green after that?

Kontact
01-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Bit of a rehash here, but with a twist.

I've had great luck removing decals with the safe bubbling paint remover.

Does it work on non-anodized surfaces?

Specifically, will that method work on Ritchey's "wet White" finish?

Just curious if anyone has tried, or if it will only strip the paint underneath.

I can try it on an inconspicuous area first, but hate to mar the underlying white.

What is "safe bubbling paint remover" and why wouldn't it remove Ritchey's white paint? Paint removers usually remove paint.

I didn't see your other thread, but aluminum parts with graphics on them are generally printed, not decaled. Paint removers or acetone will dissolve those graphics (to an extent), but don't affect aluminum oxide (anodization).

gasman
01-13-2018, 01:59 PM
I've had good luck just using boiling water if you just want to remove the decal assuming it isn't covered with clear coat.

sfscott
01-13-2018, 06:39 PM
I want to take off the Enve decal on a carbon post. How?

Tickdoc
01-13-2018, 06:50 PM
What is "safe bubbling paint remover" and why wouldn't it remove Ritchey's white paint? Paint removers usually remove paint.

I didn't see your other thread, but aluminum parts with graphics on them are generally printed, not decaled. Paint removers or acetone will dissolve those graphics (to an extent), but don't affect aluminum oxide (anodization).

3m safest paint remover. Goes on as a gel and just wipes right off. Bubbles up decals lie crazy and doesn’t damage the anodized finish underneath most black stems.

I’m just not sure what t will do to th Eric hey wet white finish. Or carbon, for that matter.

Kontact
01-13-2018, 07:00 PM
3m safest paint remover. Goes on as a gel and just wipes right off. Bubbles up decals lie crazy and doesn’t damage the anodized finish underneath most black stems.

I’m just not sure what t will do to th Eric hey wet white finish. Or carbon, for that matter.

It doesn't affect anodized finishes because they are bare metal. Any white finish is going to be some sort of "paint", and it will likely eat that right off.

Generally, the epoxy used in CF is unaffected by any sort of solvent, which is why it isn't recyclable. So you can strip the paint off of carbon parts with most any stripper. There is always an exception, so be smart about this.

The graphics on your white stem are likely the same stuff as the white.

cadence90
01-13-2018, 07:11 PM
I think that removing the graphics from Ritchey "Wet White" components while maintaining the base finish is going to be pretty tricky to do well, if even possible. Perhaps call Ritchey and ask them. You may end up being much better off simply prepping/painting/clear-coating the components.

cadence90
01-13-2018, 07:12 PM
I want to take off the Enve decal on a carbon post. How?
For removing graphics from carbon-fiber components, see here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=206906), here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2194047&postcount=2), and here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2271931&postcount=26).

Jeff N.
01-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Paint thinner will remove all decals with ease.

cadence90
01-13-2018, 07:25 PM
Paint thinner will remove all decals with ease.
Not if they are under a clear-coat.

As Kontact alluded above, paint thinner/other solvents will remove most (but not all) printed graphics from anodized components, but in some cases a ghost image of what was printed still remains visible.

Jeff N.
01-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Not if they are under a clear-coat.

As Kontact alluded above, paint thinner/other solvents will remove most (but not all) printed graphics from anodized components, but in some cases a ghost image of what was printed still remains visible.
.Well, no, not if under clear coat.