PDA

View Full Version : Biking hopes and aspirations for 2018

weisan
12-26-2017, 07:53 AM
- I just want to maintain my current weight, lose a couple more would be a bonus but not necessary

- visit some paceline pals and ride with them in their areas

- stay healthy and avoid any time off the bike

that is all from me, what about you?

tuscanyswe
12-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Im hoping to get some 15000 kms or so as per usuall without beeing intercepted by any cars along the way.
Im also hoping to make at least one bicycle trip. Im thinking norway maybe.

Black Dog
12-26-2017, 08:40 AM
I want to increase my average smiles/hour by 20%. :)

Cicli
12-26-2017, 08:48 AM
I just moved to a new more rural area. Lots of rolling hills and such. Looking forward to exploring the spring/summer beauty on two wheels.

Hilltopperny
12-26-2017, 08:55 AM
I stepped on the scale yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and realized I gained 30lbs. I started a new job in August which all but destroyed my riding time and became extremely stressful. I walked out on that same job at the end of October and decided to go to work for myself. Still haven't been able to get much ride time, but plan on increasing the hours on the trainer and getting outside to ride as much as possible. Hoping to drop at least 20lbs by the spring and get some good riding in once it warms up.

Mzilliox
12-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Im shooting for 10k miles, which would be about double this years mileage. This will require more centuries, and I only did one of those last year. My goal is to do at least one Century per month in 2018.

And to find a ride buddy that rides the way i do, like a 12 yr old, not always in paceline, not so damn serious.

thwart
12-26-2017, 09:35 AM
- stay healthy and avoid any time off the bike

In my current iteration that's my main goal.

And to continue really enjoying my time on the bike, to not take any of the joyful experience of cycling for granted.

pinkshogun
12-26-2017, 09:41 AM
more dirt ride and gravel rides. an overnight or two.

weisan
12-26-2017, 10:04 AM
And to find a ride buddy that rides the way i do, like a 12 yr old, not always in paceline, not so damn serious.

Million pal, I will come ride with you. Just say when.

Macadamia
12-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I've been riding a bit over 4 years, but never building beyond beginner fitness because I either get distracted or my bike fit frustrates me, or the several times I've decided riding on the road was too dangerous.

That last one will probably always linger in the back of my head, but my goal for 2018 is to do a race in February and go from there. There are a couple cool gran fondo type things around the South I'd like to try too, if racing doesn't end up being for me.

Chief
12-26-2017, 10:13 AM
At 80 years old my objectives are to stay healthy, ride 6,000 miles and hike the Grand Canyon for the 17th time.

Tickdoc
12-26-2017, 10:16 AM
I’m gunning for more mileage and less wreckage.

I went down twice this year; once hitting a dog and once being a little overzealous in the rain, and I would really like to avoid any more of that business.

Toying with altering my work schedule to allow more weekdays ride time this year.

Big ride this year is in Idaho, one of the few states I have not been to yet and I am super excited for that!

Mzilliox
12-26-2017, 10:18 AM
At 80 years old my objectives are to stay healthy, ride 6,000 miles and hike the Grand Canyon for the 17th time.

AWESOME! inspiration, i hope i have your energy at 80:banana:

Steve in SLO
12-26-2017, 10:20 AM
AWESOME! inspiration, i hope i have your energy at 80:banana:

I wish I had his energy now.

nesteel
12-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Get the diabetes back under control. Been a tough 18 months.
Ride to work 3 days a week.
Spend less time wrenching and more time riding.
Get out and travel with the wife, and I'm taking a bike with us everywhere.

Seramount
12-26-2017, 10:38 AM
my original goal for this year was to recover from two car take-downs in 2016 and to set a PR by riding 7500 miles.

as 2017 was my first full year of retirement, somewhere around April the amount of miles I was logging caused me to revise the PR goal to 10K.

while it's been fun to chase the number and it's motivated me to get out on the bike much more frequently than I've ever done previously, I'm going to fall short at ~9200 miles.

for 2018, hitting the 10K mark doesn't hold all that much interest...I know I could do it, but it feels like kind of a hollow goal. the whole quantity vs. quality thing...

need to come up with something more creative...will be reading the comments here to see other folks have in mind.

bocobiking
12-26-2017, 10:40 AM
L’Eroica starting in Paso Robles in April.

Jdg68
12-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Continue with healthy eating.
Create a routine of stretching and yoga to help prevent back pain.
Spend most of my time this coming year on a single speed.
Get to the mountains more often.
Do some multi-day rides.
Continue to ride at least 400 hours/year.
Make sure I am riding for enjoyment and not out of some sense of obligation to compile hours, miles etc.

David Tollefson
12-26-2017, 11:43 AM
I've had a goal of 500 riding hours a year for several years now. In 2015 I made it with a couple days to spare. 2016 and 2017 were no problem - I hit 500 with some 3 weeks to go. This year, I was 25 hours over pace in August, and then we sold our house, moved twice, and have been busy with the new house. I just caught up to pace on the 24th, and had yesterday off. So I have 6 days to get back on it and hit 500, with having taken 76 days off the bike (a record as well).

So the look ahead is to renew the 500 hour goal with fewer days off the bike, and hit the Lucky Masochist ride strong (July). I've got a new gravel bike frame and fork in the queue, so that'll be great motivation for even more off-pavement riding.

kppolich
12-26-2017, 12:23 PM
2017 - Had a goal of 5000mi and came up about 1,000 short. Still a great year of racing, riding, and meeting new people on the road.

2018 - 5000 miles is the overall goal with a side goal of skipping work for a week for another year of RAGBRAI. Final goal is a more personal performance goal of 5 W/KG or a FTP of 350w for me, currently at 290w.

Ride happy and healthy in 2018 everyone!

paredown
12-26-2017, 12:38 PM
As others have said, stay healthy is my main goal. I had a bad start (lacerated kidney from a fall), and just started to get rolling and got another Lyme infection...

I will start early this year on the rollers and get some miles in before Easter--then cruise through the summer.

I've got a hankering to ride to Montreal, so maybe this year.

velotel
12-26-2017, 03:36 PM
No goals in terms of distance or time on the bike, which is easy since I pay little attention to that anyway, despite having a Garmin and using Strava (my son's old Garmin, sent it to me so he could see what I'm riding). The only goal along those lines is probably riding at least once every week of the year. So far I think I've never had a week with less than 3 rides in maybe 4 years, or something like that. So next year, spend some time riding the dirt roads above Bardonecchia over in Italy. And over in Piedmont too. Plus maybe the Dolomites, been wanting to get there for years now. I'll count it good if I score one out of those three. Other than that, just keep having fun on my bike.

572cv
12-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Lets see.... there are about 8760 hours in a year. If I can ride 4- 5% of the time, that's at least 350 hours. That would put me up over 4K miles ! Well, that might be hard where we have six months of tough sledding, but I can always scale back. It would be a bit of a bump up from last year, and anyway, i hope mainly to be working a little less and riding a little more on the wonderful Eriksen.

PeregrineA1
12-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Ride more, ride new places, ride with new friends and old friends, build more bikes (and sell a few).

Do more core and upper body work. I hate that part of staying fit....

The more places - who know where that will take me...

mudhead
12-26-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm looking to 2018 to drop the extra weight, get off the recently prescribed BP meds and keep my mind clear by riding on a regular basis. 2.5K mi and a few solid organized group rides would be my goals.

Llewellyn
12-26-2017, 06:01 PM
I'd like to get my weight down to between 72 and 73kg, ride on some different roads and do more riding with my wife. In an attempt to keep things simple I'm not keeping track of how far I ride these days but I want to make sure I ride more often and in all weathers. That's about it.

Black Dog
12-26-2017, 07:27 PM

You are my Hero. :)

weisan
12-26-2017, 07:34 PM

I need to make a trip to San Antonio to see the Monument.

:banana:

bob heinatz
12-26-2017, 11:19 PM
I am retiring at the end of this year! Yea! Average 100 miles per week on the bike. In addition a lot of hiking and kayaking. A lot of this with my wife.

Clean39T
12-27-2017, 12:09 AM
Im shooting for 10k miles, which would be about double this years mileage. This will require more centuries, and I only did one of those last year. My goal is to do at least one Century per month in 2018.

Dang, pretty much the same goals here - too bad you're a few hundred miles away... I want to do many more solo-centuries, in addition to plenty of group stuff. I thought that was going to be road-racing oriented, but am now feeling like I just want to ground the calendar with some organized events and fill the rest in with exploring the greater NW as much as I can.

Any interest in the Tour de Fronds? Or any other epic rides worth the trip down south I should put on my calendar?

dbnm
12-27-2017, 12:43 AM
2017 was a really good year for me.
I have been seeing a personal trainer once a week and it has really made a difference.

My goal for the year was 5000 miles and I will hit 5400 by the end of this week.

I am shooting for 6000 miles for next year.

In 2019 I turn 50 and will be doing a bike tour in Japan and England. I'm really looking forward to that.

ripvanrando
12-27-2017, 06:05 AM
I'd like to win the Race Around Denmark.

(Just need to get some health matters fixed first)

54ny77
12-27-2017, 06:25 AM
I'm hoping to find Rapha at Walmart when I pick up my usual case of Mobil 1.

dem
12-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Continue 6-8 hour mixed gravel/pavement ride every weekend and not get injured.

Ride a double century, finish the Death Ride.

Knock off more of the Top 100 road climbs in the country, including a couple of days in Owen's Valley (Onion Valley, Horseshoe Meadows, etc.)

Try bike packing in Henry Coe and catch a fish.

If I'm feeling really really fine.. the full Mauna Kea.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 08:42 AM

Hear, hear....riding and in general:)

IMHO, of course....:eek:

Joel
12-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Well, '17 was an off-bike year for doing a ton of running and pack hiking in preparation for a month of community service in the Andes up to and over 4800+ meters. Mission accomplished!

'18 is back on the bike. Riding in the Pyrenees. Up the Tourmalet too. Riding over it, and then mountain top for the stage. Then over to the Vercors. Two weeks of riding all over France :)

Time to get busy training for mountains in Florida!

Joel

marciero
12-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Continue to eat well and do yoga.

Will be happy if I can ride as much as last year. A steady diet of long day rides, with a lot of short tours- credit
card and camping, car camping with day rides, and a few longer tours. About a third to a half of all this with GF on tandem.

Starting off the year with 5-day Southern California tandem tour leaving next week! Am also planning a 10 or 11-day solo trip in March, destination TBA. But will be someplace warm enough to ride in shorts.

tbike4
12-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Ride a century. Does not have to be an organized event. I rode 82 miles on the first day of the MS event in October with 50 the next day with no issues so I know I can do 100. Actually the limiting factor seems to be butt hurt after that long in the saddle. Is there a long distance specific saddle? I ride a Flite titanium on 4 bikes now.

drewski
12-27-2017, 09:49 AM
1. Continue commuting everyday for part of the way unless its bloody wet out.
2. Stay off the sugar during the work week.
3. Cross train with jump rope and running.
4. Get a pressure cooker.
5. Save dollars and buy an adventure Camping bike a la Rivendell.
6. Do some adventure riding up in upstate New York where daughter is going to school.
7. See the buds up in NYC and go to the Trexlertown Fall swap meet.

marciero
12-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Ride a century. Does not have to be an organized event. I rode 82 miles on the first day of the MS event in October with 50 the next day with no issues so I know I can do 100. Actually the limiting factor seems to be butt hurt after that long in the saddle. Is there a long distance specific saddle? I ride a Flite titanium on 4 bikes now.

Sounds like you will have no trouble with a century. There is a lot of discussion on Paceline about saddles. Of course is very personal, and if you search you will find that different riders are comfortable on all types of saddles for long distances.
My distance bikes have leather saddles-Berthoud and Brooks, but I am also fine on more minimal saddles like Fizik Aliante, which I have on a tandem that we do long rides on.

silentlight0
12-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks for this post. It occurred to me that I haven’t thought about ‘18 riding as much as I should have. Building on the other posts, I think I would like to ride at least 6 centuries, including one that climbs Mt. Palomar, here in SoCal.

Losing a couple of pounds and gaining a few watts FTP will be nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notsew
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Build a shed...
To put a smart trainer in...
For when the weather is ****...
And maybe be able to stay in shape for the entire cx season.

KidWok
12-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Cycling's role in my life has changed a lot these last few years. E-bike commuting year-round keeps me in relatively good shape. I've turned into a bit of a fair weather road cyclist as a result. My goals are to get rid of more high-end road gear that I'm not using, get a cargo e-bike (Tern GSD already on order) and further reduce my need for a car, and continue as a cycling trainer on the tri team I've been working with for the last few years. I plan on adding another member to the family in the next year, so recreational road riding will likely get pushed further out of my life in favor of lifestyle/transportation cycling.

Tai

csm
12-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Ride more. Eat less and better. Maybe get a tandem.... more adventure riding and less feeling like I have to.

Also, tied in with that are some personal relationship issues I'm working through. At least I have my health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unterhausen
12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
I really need to lose about 35 pounds. That gets me to where the Air Force considered me to be fat, but not required to go work out under supervision.

cnighbor1
12-27-2017, 06:10 PM
for 2018 and way beyond No encounters with moving vehicles would be great for this 81 year old body
Charles

pdonk
12-27-2017, 06:44 PM
My goals are much less ambitious then people here.

2500km or 100hrs. Plus 2 months of track in the spring.

Hopefully my wife and 13 month old will want to do some riding with me.

Mzilliox
12-27-2017, 08:01 PM
I'd like to win the Race Around Denmark.

(Just need to get some health matters fixed first)

Awesome, best of luck in your pursuit!

Black Dog
12-27-2017, 08:08 PM

It may not be be your saddle that is the cause of your sore butt. Two things come to mind. First your shorts. A good pair of shorts makes a huge difference. And secondly, chamois cream. Using chamois cream on long rides really does make for a more comfortable experience.

beeatnik
12-27-2017, 08:21 PM
for 2018 and way beyond No encounters with moving vehicles would be great for this 81 year old body
Charles

Charles, I like your "plain spoken" style.

ceolwulf
12-27-2017, 08:26 PM
2017 was a disaster with health issues and I want my revenge. Well, they're not quite fully sorted yet, so. We will see how I get on.

I want to do my first gran fondo in 2018, planning on Axel's Gran Fondo in Penticton. And a lot more mountain biking on my shiny* new mountain bike.

Don't have any real time or distance goals and I don't think I'll set any either. I do have a weight loss goal and that's to get from 218 to 175. As a lifelong flatlander if I want to do a gran fondo in the mountains that'll be pretty essential.

*it's actually flat black though

Keith A
12-27-2017, 10:03 PM
- visit some paceline pals and ride with them in their areas

that is all from me, what about you?Your welcome to visit me anytime, and I probably have a bike that would fit you.

m_moses
12-28-2017, 08:59 AM
For 2017, I’ll achieve 10k miles for the year but I still feel like I’m just a mediocre cyclist. In the new year, I want to focus less on mileage and more on becoming a stronger/faster rider and finish a few road races. I’ll turn 60 in 2018 so time is running out.

ripvanrando
12-28-2017, 09:08 AM
For 2017, I’ll achieve 10k miles for the year but I still feel like I’m just a mediocre cyclist. In the new year, I want to focus less on mileage and more on becoming a stronger/faster rider and finish a few road races. I’ll turn 60 in 2018 so time is running out.

I'm with you....I feel more and more mediocre every year.

tbike4
12-28-2017, 09:26 AM
It may not be be your saddle that is the cause of your sore butt. Two things come to mind. First your shorts. A good pair of shorts makes a huge difference. And secondly, chamois cream. Using chamois cream on long rides really does make for a more comfortable experience.

I will consider chamois creme since I think my bib shorts are pretty good. The ones I wore for 82 miles were new Canari bibs that have a king pad. Nothing crazy expensive but it's what I wear on many 50-55 mile rides and feel good. Maybe my sit bones just have to endure a little pain for the last 20 of a century. Perhaps is just a "that's life" type of thing.

weisan
12-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Your welcome to visit me anytime, and I probably have a bike that would fit you.

Thank you Keith pal, and as you already know, it goes both ways, my door is opened to you any time and the bikes too of course.