PDA

View Full Version : Bar, stem, post for nice modern bike?

Villgaxx
07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
If you're putting together a nice but not stupid expensive bike for someone and you want to step above the unbranded stuff, what is there? Ritchey? The comp stuff looks decent for a not so much money.

What am I missing? Does any other company make decent stuff that is actually available and not wicked spendy? FSA parts look pretty junky to me. The European components are often not available when you need them. Not that I want to enable excessive matching of everything, but it's nice when everything looks of a piece.

ltwtsculler91
07-19-2017, 02:01 PM
The Zipp Service Course stuff isn't too expensive and you can get the all black stealth look if you go SL. The whole kit ends up around $300 for the SL or $150-200 for the regular Service Course..

cadence90
07-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Fizik is also worth a look. Very nice stuff, well designed and graphically understated.

MesiJezi
07-19-2017, 02:12 PM
If you're putting together a nice but not stupid expensive bike for someone and you want to step above the unbranded stuff, what is there? Ritchey? The comp stuff looks decent for a not so much money.

What am I missing? Does any other company make decent stuff that is actually available and not wicked spendy? FSA parts look pretty junky to me. The European components are often not available when you need them. Not that I want to enable excessive matching of everything, but it's nice when everything looks of a piece.

I've never had an issue with FSA components--crank arms, stems, bars.

dbnm
07-19-2017, 02:13 PM
www.bikethomson.com

Great stuff. Great company.

Villgaxx
07-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Thomson cost is > double the target. The Fizik stuff is something I hadn't considered. FSA cheap stuff is no better than the unbranded parts, and the expensive stuff is not my cup of soup. Plus expensive.

Thanks for the ideas.

dbnm
07-19-2017, 02:38 PM
The Thomson bar/stem/post would cost about $450.

You're looking to spend $225 for bar/stem/post?

macaroon
07-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Buy second hand. Remove logos with acetone.

Brand matched bars/stem/seatpost/saddle always looks like someone has tried too hard, rather than buying the most suitable parts for each individual item.....e.g. my favourite bars are the Ritchey Neo Classic, but I'd never use a Ritchey stem or seatpost as they're just not as good/suitable as other brands (Pro PLT stem and 3T Dorico seatpost FWIW).

Hilltopperny
07-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Fizik, deda, and zipp all put out good stuff with the Zipp stuff being my favorite especially their service course sl beyond black stuff.

Veloo
07-19-2017, 03:25 PM
I like my PRO Vibe 7S bars cuz the 31.8 diameter runs the length of the horizontal part of the bar. I found it weird when going back to my Ritchey Classic bars so I replaced it with a set of PRO as well.
I'm running the compact ones.

Don't have the seatpost or stem but have seen positive reviews on them.

zennmotion
07-19-2017, 03:51 PM
:(If you're putting together a nice but not stupid expensive bike for someone and you want to step above the unbranded stuff, what is there? Ritchey? The comp stuff looks decent for a not so much money.

If you're looking for something not black, the Ritchey Classic silver stuff looks pretty nice and not expensive. I especially like the 2 bolt seatpost, especially the older version (still available directly from Ritchey online store) with the etched logo that's invisible until you're quite close. It's not polished compared with Nitto or older Campy (sniff! )with a somewhat cloudy anodized clear coat but it looks good on a steel bike. The Classic handlebars also play nice with Shimano 11 speed shifters if you want an old style curve to the drops- some other round style drop bars don't work well with modern shifters, but the Ritchey classic ones do, with relatively short reach (compared to other old style round drop bars) that's appropriate for modern shifters with more real estate than old brake levers. And they set up nicely, I can get a nice flat transition to the hoods with the drops nearly parallel with the ground, just how I like them.

pncguy
07-19-2017, 03:51 PM
I did full Ritchey on my Strong and I have no complaints.

FlashUNC
07-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Ritchey, Deda, Fizik.

sevencyclist
07-19-2017, 04:16 PM
I would go with Ritchey black alloy if you like the complete set of black out stuff. Easton would be my second choice.

If you like shiny bits for more retro look, then Ritchey classic or Nitto bars. Ritchey Classic stem is quite nice. Thomson stem is beefier and slightly more.

bigreen505
07-19-2017, 04:21 PM
If you want everything to match, PRO Vibe, 3t, Ritchey, Deda, Specialized are good and have parts available at different price points.

classtimesailer
07-19-2017, 04:27 PM
I like shiny silver, so I went Nitto. For lighter and blacker, go 3T.

MagicHour
07-19-2017, 04:32 PM
I have parts from Ritchey(Comp,WCS), Deda(Zero1,2), Zipp SC, Nashbar and have used PRO stuff, as well. All decent quality parts in low-mid-range price points.

As an OCD general rule, I try to keep Seatpost/Stem/Bars from the same mfr/line, but if that doesn't work out for some technical reason then at least have parts aesthetically look ok together.

Pick your function, aesthetic and brand and go for it!

classtimesailer
07-19-2017, 04:47 PM
:eek:I like shiny silver, so I went Nitto. For lighter and blacker, go 3T.

mtechnica
07-19-2017, 06:18 PM
3T is usually my go-to but pro/shimano is solid, and for a zero setback seatpost Thomson is the logical choice. The Thomson road stems are nice but I'm not sold on the clamp design, I've had to slather mine with carbon paste to not allow the bars to slip. Anyhow deda is also good but most of their stuff is cheaper and heavier compared to others. I would say 3T aluminum bars and stem are the standard by which others are judged though.

ragamuffin
07-19-2017, 06:37 PM
I usually try to pair these bits with the actual composition/tube sizing of the bike - for instance, what I would use on a custom steel bike would not be the same as a more modern, chunky carbon fiber bike.

That being said, i agree with most people that 3T has been a solid go to for me. Deda also has some svelteness that most companies don't have, but can be pricey. Fizik also has some nice looking equipment, but I have yet to try anything out myself aside from the saddles.

If I could have it my way, everything would just match (bar, stem, seatpost) but that's not always the case for my builds. However, with a little elbow grease, you can get things to mach pretty well. Acetone will get off most markings on stems on bars (I've done this with Kalloy Unos and 3Ts) or some sanding and clear coating.

DavidC
07-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Nothing new to add, just a vote for Zipp or Deda. I have both on a couple bikes, and both brands have been great. Good prices through the UK websites, but availability is hit and miss.

Mzilliox
07-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Buy second hand. Remove logos with acetone.

Brand matched bars/stem/seatpost/saddle always looks like someone has tried too hard, rather than buying the most suitable parts for each individual item.....e.g. my favourite bars are the Ritchey Neo Classic, but I'd never use a Ritchey stem or seatpost as they're just not as good/suitable as other brands (Pro PLT stem and 3T Dorico seatpost FWIW).

This is my favorite thing to do, buy what fits and works and debrand it. Looks custom.