PDA

View Full Version : How to watch CX Nats?

MattTuck
01-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm sure a few of our North East contingent may be going to see it in person, I don't think I can make the drive down this weekend. So looking for a way to watch it, either on TV or via the web. CX Magazine hosted the stream last year, but not seeing that this year. Just seeing race reports and other coverage.

Bruce K
01-04-2017, 09:07 PM
I believe Trek is sponsoring the feed this year

Can't remember the link. :crap:

BK

Jad
01-04-2017, 10:10 PM
I was hoping to get down there too, but may not make it either. According to USAC, they'll stream the elite races on their Youtube channel on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/user/USACyclingOrg

They mention that here:
https://www.usacycling.org/cyclocross-national-championships-opens-in-hartford.htm

Unfortunately, I don't know of any streaming for masters' racing, etc.

livingminimal
01-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Links to the live coverage will be here. Likely on Saturday for Sunday-only coverage.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/2017-usa-cyclocross-national-championships-hartford-ct-riverside-park

Bruce K
01-06-2017, 04:18 AM
Velonews is going to have live streaming as well.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news/2017-u-s-cyclocross-national-championships-livestream_427334

BK

AJosiahK
01-06-2017, 06:31 AM
im going, ill tweet it ;)

but also yeah, velonews. and Trek

They dont usually televise or 'live feed' much else aside from the elites.

chiasticon
01-06-2017, 07:11 AM
I believe Trek is sponsoring the feed this year

Can't remember the link. :crap:can't find anything about that. so if you remember the link, please share!

when they had the CXC at Trek last fall, all I could think was "wow, I wish Trek would organize and stream the footage for nationals." it was just so much better: awesome quality, no hiccups, cameras at every important corner, drone flyovers, etc. nationals feed is usually total garbage, with commentary to match. but at least we get to see it, I guess.

superbowlpats
01-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Weather has really wrecked havoc on the course this week. First torrential rains then freezing temps and then snow today. sounds like they shortened the course and took out the "slip n slide". see video for context

https://www.facebook.com/ctcyclingadvancement/videos/1230262413725831/

pinkshogun
01-06-2017, 07:53 AM
superbowlpats facebook video was awesome...a little fast motion and Benny Hill music would have been hysterical

livingminimal
01-06-2017, 08:14 AM
They've removed the hill, and theres been a couple of other course changes.

It snowed all morning, people are using words like "deadly" to describe the course this morning. Lots of flats in pre-rides. Frozen, hard ruts. Lots of problems. Now the suns out apparently. Its gonna be a wild weekend.

old fat man
01-06-2017, 08:21 AM
They've removed the hill, and theres been a couple of other course changes.

It snowed all morning, people are using words like "deadly" to describe the course this morning. Lots of flats in pre-rides. Frozen, hard ruts. Lots of problems. Now the suns out apparently. Its gonna be a wild weekend.

I live 7 miles from the course. It's still snowing and definitely not sunny. Temps are not expected to get above 28 for the next 3-4 days with overnights in the low teens. In other words, the course will only get more and more frozen.

I can't think of a worse possible combination of weather. And the organizers damned themselves with non-championship races on Tuesday that tore the course to pieces before the "meaningful" events started on Thursday.

Dave B
01-06-2017, 08:24 AM
They need to get a bobcat out there and "flatten out" some of the ruts, if not at least for safety then for sheer level (no pun intended) playing field.

livingminimal
01-06-2017, 08:27 AM
I live 7 miles from the course. It's still snowing and definitely not sunny. Temps are not expected to get above 28 for the next 3-4 days with overnights in the low teens. In other words, the course will only get more and more frozen.

huh, ResultsBoy reported that the sun is out on the course as he's pre-riding. Maybe it was just a brief glimmer. Ill take your word for it that its not.

I can't think of a worse possible combination of weather. And the organizers damned themselves with non-championship races on Tuesday that tore the course to pieces before the "meaningful" events started on Thursday.

I go back and forth on this. I appreciate that the US takes cross serious as a participatory sport (especially as participation seems to have flatlined, not grown as were constantly told) but I do think there needs to be some consideration to what it does to the course, or the course needs to vary significantly, but then how would be pros pre-ride in the week leading up? Not sure there's a great solution other than to reserve the course for the meaningful races...and narrow it down to two days.

Good news? Probably no snow in Reno next year. :o

chiasticon
01-06-2017, 09:55 AM
I go back and forth on this. I appreciate that the US takes cross serious as a participatory sport (especially as participation seems to have flatlined, not grown as were constantly told) but I do think there needs to be some consideration to what it does to the course, or the course needs to vary significantly, but then how would be pros pre-ride in the week leading up? Not sure there's a great solution other than to reserve the course for the meaningful races...and narrow it down to two days.agreed. it's a double-sided coin. and it's not the organizer's fault; unless by "organizer" you mean USAC.

They've removed the hill, and theres been a couple of other course changes.this is what's hilarious to me. I got royally screwed (as did many others) at states this year because they were making willy-nilly course changes just prior to races, then announcing "oh by the way, we added this, this and this" when you're in the starting grid. stuff you didn't pre-ride at all. I was appalled: they did this AT STATES!?! sounds like they did the same thing yesterday, going by what cxmagazine has posted on IG. cxmagazine also interviewed a masters woman who podiumed but said "I had to go easy through some sections because they'd just added them before my race, so I didn't pre-ride them." ridiculous. people complain about the 80% rule, but stuff like this should be in the rule-book. it's unsafe and unfair, making you race things you've never been given a chance to inspect or pre-ride.

superbowlpats
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Local legend Kevin Hines just won the men's 55-59 championship. I consider it a win if I don't get lapped by Kevin.

shovelhd
01-06-2017, 05:21 PM
agreed. it's a double-sided coin. and it's not the organizer's fault; unless by "organizer" you mean USAC.

this is what's hilarious to me. I got royally screwed (as did many others) at states this year because they were making willy-nilly course changes just prior to races, then announcing "oh by the way, we added this, this and this" when you're in the starting grid. stuff you didn't pre-ride at all. I was appalled: they did this AT STATES!?! sounds like they did the same thing yesterday, going by what cxmagazine has posted on IG. cxmagazine also interviewed a masters woman who podiumed but said "I had to go easy through some sections because they'd just added them before my race, so I didn't pre-ride them." ridiculous. people complain about the 80% rule, but stuff like this should be in the rule-book. it's unsafe and unfair, making you race things you've never been given a chance to inspect or pre-ride.

Unless the changes were for safety, I agree with you, to a point. The Chief Referee should not be changing the course between races. Before the first race, sure. After the first race, for safety, sure. Safety is paramount. Shortening the course for young fields, like Cub Juniors, absolutely. That should be expected. However, changing the course for no good reason, between races, isn't good. It's not so much about the pre-ride, which in CX has gotten to the ridiculous point, it's about racers knowing what to expect. They planned for a x.xxkm course with y features, and that's what they should get. Whatever course description was in the race flyer is what they should expect, with the exceptions noted above. That's the rule.

All that said, this nonsense about smoothing out the ruts in the course is just that, nonsense. You don't change a course for conditions unless rider safety is significantly affected. Ruts? Deal with it. Flats? Too bad. Rain? Snow? Sleet? That's CX. Deal with it. Who cares if the course was great in the morning and a slog in the afternoon. Who cares if the course totally changed from your pre-ride. Deal with it.

:)

ptourkin
01-06-2017, 05:36 PM
KFnC is just trolling:

Katie Compton: Yeah it’s actually pretty hilarious. It’s always tough because the amateurs and the older categories, they don’t ever make anything look easy. You watch some of the pros, and you’re like, ‘Oh, anyone can do that, super-easy.’ Then the amateurs, a little bit older, they just make it look really difficult. None of them are getting on the bike properly. They’re braking too much. They’re probably running too high a tire pressure. Granted it probably is really slippery. But there’s no need to brake on it; just get on your bike and no braking.

VN: But hypothetically, would you resort to sliding on your butt if it meant winning another national championship title?

KC: [Laughs] You know, if I had to resort to that, I probably wouldn’t be winning. If you get on at the top with your bike pointed straight and you just let it go, chances are you’re going faster. Because you’re on your bike at the bottom of the hill. If it would come to that, the winner probably wouldn’t be sliding down on their butt.

VN: OK, so what is your recommended method for navigating descents that are too slippery to ride?

KC: Have better toe spikes maybe. Honestly, on a descent like that, it’s easier to ride it than it is to run it. You try to get off and run it, or try to remount sideways and try to turn into it, you’re just going to crash and fall. From looking at it, what I would have said, ride up to more the top part where there’s still a little green grass, jump on the bike, point it straight downhill, just let it naturally accelerate. If you go in a straight line, you don’t brake, you’re not going to fall over. It’s when you hit the brakes … That’s when you crash.

It’s hard to commit to going fast and just get on your bike and go. You want to brake, but you kind of have to just point and shoot and not brake. Speed is your friend on that section. But it’s hard to commit for sure.

That’s my armchair … From the couch being like, ‘That’s not how you do it.’ But we’ve definitely all fallen down stuff like that. You figure it out pretty quickly what not to do.

But I think starting with your bike pointing straight, and just letting it roll, no brakes.

I’m going to get so many messages on Twitter like, ‘God she’s so mean … She said that?’ [Laughs.]

d_douglas
01-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Weather has really wrecked havoc on the course this week. First torrential rains then freezing temps and then snow today. sounds like they shortened the course and took out the "slip n slide". see video for context

https://www.facebook.com/ctcyclingadvancement/videos/1230262413725831/

that's nuts! In terms of course design, is that considered a 'failure', a 'success' or just a lesson learned for next year? It looks pretty fun, but could result in a lot of injuries, damaged bikes and trashed landscape.

I bet some competitors were annoyed by that.

chiasticon
01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Unless the changes were for safety, I agree with you, to a point. The Chief Referee should not be changing the course between races. Before the first race, sure. After the first race, for safety, sure. Safety is paramount. Shortening the course for young fields, like Cub Juniors, absolutely. That should be expected. However, changing the course for no good reason, between races, isn't good. It's not so much about the pre-ride, which in CX has gotten to the ridiculous point, it's about racers knowing what to expect. They planned for a x.xxkm course with y features, and that's what they should get. Whatever course description was in the race flyer is what they should expect, with the exceptions noted above. That's the rule.

All that said, this nonsense about smoothing out the ruts in the course is just that, nonsense. You don't change a course for conditions unless rider safety is significantly affected. Ruts? Deal with it. Flats? Too bad. Rain? Snow? Sleet? That's CX. Deal with it. Who cares if the course was great in the morning and a slog in the afternoon. Who cares if the course totally changed from your pre-ride. Deal with it.

:)100% agree and I've done races where it was clear "this section will be closed for juniors and Cat 5" or whatever. but then you know, very clearly: "I better make sure I ride that once they open it, because I'll need to race it." or as you said, if someone's injured in a section of the course or it's later decided to be too dangerous and they decide to just take it out or alter it a bit, that's understandable too. but in my case, they were adding brand new sections throughout the day, during a 15 minute break between races (when most people don't want to pre-ride, if their race is next). and they were also adding sections that were deemed "pro only" the day before (for the UCI race), but not in a broad swath, like they were open all day. just between races, randomly adding them and you find out in the grid or when you get to it. and it kind of sounds like that's what happened here.

weisan
01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Run, don't bike!

https://youtu.be/fGMVKRmn4C4

shovelhd
01-07-2017, 12:47 PM
At one of my races this year, the snow got so heavy that at times only 10% of the course was rideable (March Farm for the locals).

kevinvc
01-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Hell yeah, Molly!! :hello:

bobswire
01-07-2017, 07:12 PM
https://www.cxmagazine.com/live-vide...ps-hartford-ct

estilley
01-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Hell yeah, Molly!! :hello:

Pdx represent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 08:16 AM
I was hoping to get down there too, but may not make it either. According to USAC, they'll stream the elite races on their Youtube channel on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/user/USACyclingOrg

On now-snow race.

roguedog
01-08-2017, 08:33 AM
people prob have already figured out how they're watchign but just in case, here ya go

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/live-stream-will-it-be-a-bakers-dozen-for-katie-compton-at-the-us-national-cyclocross-championships/

guido
01-08-2017, 08:38 AM
I can't imagine racing in those conditions. Can they use studded tires?

livingminimal
01-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Wout's about to win Belgian Nats by at least 1:40. Insane.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Wout's about to win Belgian Nats by at least 1:40. Insane.

link? US race feed just crumped.

livingminimal
01-08-2017, 08:59 AM
link? US race feed just crumped.

Feed's posted on cyclingfans.com but its literally seconds from ending. Id paste it here but I am watching it on a different computer.

The oostende flyover bridge thing is just such an insane feature.

estilley
01-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Going off the YouTube comments on the USA stream, it seems as if a snow plow just took out the streaming setup...

livingminimal
01-08-2017, 09:10 AM
USA Cycling's wires for their live feed got taken out by a snow plow.

I wish I was kidding. THAT IS SO USA CYCLING.

CX Magazine is periscoping. Doing the best they cant.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OdKreoNbjyxX

Bruce K
01-08-2017, 09:40 AM
USA Cycling list power for their feed

They say they are working to restore it

U-23 Women just finished....

BK

572cv
01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
CX Mag deserves much credit for staying cool and providing solid commentary and decent video: they figured it out. Proverbial pulling the fat out of the fire.

Chapeau.

Bruce K
01-08-2017, 09:47 AM
U-23 Men delayed until 11:30

Apparently power issues affecting more than just the streaming

BK

estilley
01-08-2017, 10:23 AM
HALLELUJAH

Feed is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhsSNMC0B8

MattTuck
01-08-2017, 02:22 PM
HALLELUJAH

Feed is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhsSNMC0B8

Thanks for this :hello:

JPow behind the leader by a minute already. :eek:

weisan
01-08-2017, 02:26 PM
http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/bb.jpg

superbowlpats
01-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow, Hyde rips off his rear derailleur right before the finish but has enough to win!:beer:

guido
01-08-2017, 03:09 PM
For Hyde to loose the hanger like that so close to the line! Amazing...

weisan
01-08-2017, 03:12 PM
I spotted BBDave pal again near the finish....

http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/bb2.jpg

mjalder2
01-08-2017, 03:37 PM
What a finish! And what luck to have a RD break that close to the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelhd
01-08-2017, 07:35 PM
He's a great guy.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2017, 05:08 AM
USA Cycling's wires for their live feed got taken out by a snow plow.

I wish I was kidding. THAT IS SO USA CYCLING.

CX Magazine is periscoping. Doing the best they cant.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OdKreoNbjyxX

tee hee, yup..

sparky33
01-09-2017, 06:21 AM

http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/bb2.jpg

The student has become the master.

Incredible year for Hyde. Congrats to him.

weisan
01-09-2017, 06:33 AM
The student has become the master.

Incredible year for Hyde. Congrats to him.

Indeed!

At the post-race interview, he said his front tubular was completely flat by the time he got to the finish. I hate the glueing part of the whole tubular thing but I can see how this would have been a total disaster if he was using a clincher. Tubular rules!

MattTuck
01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Indeed!

At the post-race interview, he said his front tubular was completely flat by the time he got to the finish. I hate the glueing part of the whole tubular thing but I can see how this would have been a total disaster if he was using a clincher. Tubular rules!

Wow, talk about 'timing is everything'. Another 30 meters and he'd be 2nd.

TundraCross.... the run-up in the first lap (with the high and low paths) pretty much decided the race.

e-RICHIE
01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Wow, talk about 'timing is everything'. Another 30 meters and he'd be 2nd.

That's basically what occurred in the Men's U23 race with Maxx Chance.
'Was going to win solo with less than 500 meters to go but...

livingminimal
01-09-2017, 11:50 AM
All of this is one of the many things that makes cross so amazing. You can get pipped at the line in road racing, or a mechanical.. but its not the same.

Gummee
01-09-2017, 02:14 PM
So the whole time KFC was stomping the other women, I kept seeing that black top cap on her HT. Hmmm could it be?! Isospeed at BOTH ends?
https://brimages-bikeboardmedia.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/katie-compton-trek-boone-cyclocross-pro-bike-check15-600x442.jpg
It certainly looks like it!

Completely missed the TA wheels tho.

Aaaah well...

That Isospeed doo-jobbie makes the Boone ride like a Cadillac, but still sprints like a Porsche. I can't wait till they announce that thing. May have to stay in the bike shop another summer 'just because!'

M

superbowlpats
01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
I was at my LBS they other day and they were all talking about the next version of the Boone will have the Iso Speed for the front as wheel - as you have pointed out in the picture of KFC's bike.

MattTuck
01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
So the whole time KFC was stomping the other women, I kept seeing that black top cap on her HT. Hmmm could it be?! Isospeed at BOTH ends?
https://brimages-bikeboardmedia.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/katie-compton-trek-boone-cyclocross-pro-bike-check15-600x442.jpg
It certainly looks like it!

Completely missed the TA wheels tho.

Aaaah well...

That Isospeed doo-jobbie makes the Boone ride like a Cadillac, but still sprints like a Porsche. I can't wait till they announce that thing. May have to stay in the bike shop another summer 'just because!'

M

What is Isospeed? Is it the Trek equivalent of specialized Zertz? I ride a steel bike without any fancy doodads...

sandyrs
01-09-2017, 02:26 PM
What is Isospeed? Is it the Trek equivalent of specialized Zertz? I ride a steel bike without any fancy doodads...

It's their system that lets the seat tube or steer tube flex fore-after without flexing left-right. Supposedly works quite well, though I'm also on a largely doodad-free stable of bikes!

Mark McM
01-09-2017, 02:27 PM

No. Zertz was supposed to provide damping. But it didn't really work, because to damp out energy in the frame, first the frame had to flex (which it didn't to any large degree).

In contrast, Isospeed adds actual flex to the frame.

Gummee
01-09-2017, 07:43 PM
It's their system that lets the seat tube or steer tube flex fore-after without flexing left-right. Supposedly works quite well, though I'm also on a largely doodad-free stable of bikes!

Since I own a Boone now, I can tell you that it's about the most comfortable road-based bike I've ridden since my SL Battaglin. ...but LOTS stiffer thru the BB at the same time. I'm in the middle of swapping back to 34/50 rings (from the 34/44 from CX season) and will ride the thing more like a road bike from now till late Aug.

You get more traction on a CX course 'cause the flex in the system lets the tires stay on the ground more. Too bad I'm not as good as my bike(s)

On the road, you can tell you're riding on rough roads, but the shock thru yer butt is much lower.

All-in-all, its a fantastic, plastic bike

M

gavingould
01-09-2017, 07:57 PM
yes, the new Boones have isospeed at both the headtube and seattube, and thru-axles.
Telenet-Fidea has been racing on them about a month i think? Katie's probably had it since then too, just not on the big stage until Nats.
i hope she can still put on a good show at Worlds!
at least one of the Trek Cyclocross Collective masters rode a new Boone at Nationals too.

weisan
01-11-2017, 01:07 AM
The Belgian Nationals...he's on FIRE!
https://youtu.be/-z2aJTGF2Kg

chiasticon
01-11-2017, 06:43 AM
The Belgian Nationals...he's on FIRE!
https://youtu.be/-z2aJTGF2Kgthe race was just a formality, it was his jersey all along.

worlds is where the real party is at.

nooneline
01-11-2017, 07:59 AM
yes, the new Boones have isospeed at both the headtube and seattube, and thru-axles.
Telenet-Fidea has been racing on them about a month i think? Katie's probably had it since then too, just not on the big stage until Nats.
i hope she can still put on a good show at Worlds!
at least one of the Trek Cyclocross Collective masters rode a new Boone at Nationals too.

I've only test-ridden a wrong-sized Trek, but holy moly, did the IsoSpeed rear make a big difference. It's suspension, it's a little bit of suspension, but Trek is careful to not really call it that. And boy is it a really great innovation for comfort and handling without any real drawbacks that I could identify. And the fact that they've been fairly popular speaks to that, too.