Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Classics Fan

How to watch CX Nats?

I'm sure a few of our North East contingent may be going to see it in person, I don't think I can make the drive down this weekend. So looking for a way to watch it, either on TV or via the web. CX Magazine hosted the stream last year, but not seeing that this year. Just seeing race reports and other coverage.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I believe Trek is sponsoring the feed this year

Can't remember the link.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 PM

I was hoping to get down there too, but may not make it either. According to USAC, they'll stream the elite races on their Youtube channel on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/user/USACyclingOrg

They mention that here:
https://www.usacycling.org/cyclocros...n-hartford.htm

Unfortunately, I don't know of any streaming for masters' racing, etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 PM

Links to the live coverage will be here. Likely on Saturday for Sunday-only coverage.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/2017-usa-c...riverside-park
Old 01-06-2017, 04:18 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Velonews is going to have live streaming as well.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news...estream_427334

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 AM

im going, ill tweet it

but also yeah, velonews. and Trek

They dont usually televise or 'live feed' much else aside from the elites.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I believe Trek is sponsoring the feed this year

Can't remember the link.
can't find anything about that. so if you remember the link, please share!

when they had the CXC at Trek last fall, all I could think was "wow, I wish Trek would organize and stream the footage for nationals." it was just so much better: awesome quality, no hiccups, cameras at every important corner, drone flyovers, etc. nationals feed is usually total garbage, with commentary to match. but at least we get to see it, I guess.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 AM

Weather has really wrecked havoc on the course this week. First torrential rains then freezing temps and then snow today. sounds like they shortened the course and took out the "slip n slide". see video for context

https://www.facebook.com/ctcyclingad...0262413725831/
Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM

superbowlpats facebook video was awesome...a little fast motion and Benny Hill music would have been hysterical
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 AM

They've removed the hill, and theres been a couple of other course changes.

It snowed all morning, people are using words like "deadly" to describe the course this morning. Lots of flats in pre-rides. Frozen, hard ruts. Lots of problems. Now the suns out apparently. Its gonna be a wild weekend.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post

It snowed all morning, people are using words like "deadly" to describe the course this morning. Lots of flats in pre-rides. Frozen, hard ruts. Lots of problems. Now the suns out apparently. Its gonna be a wild weekend.
I live 7 miles from the course. It's still snowing and definitely not sunny. Temps are not expected to get above 28 for the next 3-4 days with overnights in the low teens. In other words, the course will only get more and more frozen.

I can't think of a worse possible combination of weather. And the organizers damned themselves with non-championship races on Tuesday that tore the course to pieces before the "meaningful" events started on Thursday.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Ex-Mr.President

They need to get a bobcat out there and "flatten out" some of the ruts, if not at least for safety then for sheer level (no pun intended) playing field.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I live 7 miles from the course. It's still snowing and definitely not sunny. Temps are not expected to get above 28 for the next 3-4 days with overnights in the low teens. In other words, the course will only get more and more frozen.
huh, ResultsBoy reported that the sun is out on the course as he's pre-riding. Maybe it was just a brief glimmer. Ill take your word for it that its not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I can't think of a worse possible combination of weather. And the organizers damned themselves with non-championship races on Tuesday that tore the course to pieces before the "meaningful" events started on Thursday.
I go back and forth on this. I appreciate that the US takes cross serious as a participatory sport (especially as participation seems to have flatlined, not grown as were constantly told) but I do think there needs to be some consideration to what it does to the course, or the course needs to vary significantly, but then how would be pros pre-ride in the week leading up? Not sure there's a great solution other than to reserve the course for the meaningful races...and narrow it down to two days.

Good news? Probably no snow in Reno next year.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I go back and forth on this. I appreciate that the US takes cross serious as a participatory sport (especially as participation seems to have flatlined, not grown as were constantly told) but I do think there needs to be some consideration to what it does to the course, or the course needs to vary significantly, but then how would be pros pre-ride in the week leading up? Not sure there's a great solution other than to reserve the course for the meaningful races...and narrow it down to two days.
agreed. it's a double-sided coin. and it's not the organizer's fault; unless by "organizer" you mean USAC.

Quote:
this is what's hilarious to me. I got royally screwed (as did many others) at states this year because they were making willy-nilly course changes just prior to races, then announcing "oh by the way, we added this, this and this" when you're in the starting grid. stuff you didn't pre-ride at all. I was appalled: they did this AT STATES!?! sounds like they did the same thing yesterday, going by what cxmagazine has posted on IG. cxmagazine also interviewed a masters woman who podiumed but said "I had to go easy through some sections because they'd just added them before my race, so I didn't pre-ride them." ridiculous. people complain about the 80% rule, but stuff like this should be in the rule-book. it's unsafe and unfair, making you race things you've never been given a chance to inspect or pre-ride.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Local legend Kevin Hines just won the men's 55-59 championship. I consider it a win if I don't get lapped by Kevin.