PDA

View Full Version : Bixxis Titanio

mvrider
11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
They're in the wild now:

http://bikeadelic.blogspot.com/2016/08/bixxis-titanio-100-days-bixxis.html

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rysaYNjbrKE/V6yUBVm7UlI/AAAAAAAAH6E/rhB1I8WlMzAd0f2CI3v-L-uU-6taIY37ACLcB/s1600/Bixxis-Titanio_02.jpg

You can find a few other Titanio frames on the Bixxis Facebook page as well.

cadence90
11-20-2016, 08:54 AM
They're in the wild now:

You can find a few other Titanio frames on the Bixxis Facebook page as well.
Well, well, well.

"BUONA MATTINA SIGNORINA"

:)

roguedog
11-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Nicest people ever. Doriano and Martina were lovely to hang out with. Much power to them.

Mzilliox
11-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Interesting. I'm finding the titanium market to be very interesting. I mean Ti bikes all kind of look similar. You have the FF guys who do ano, and the Indy Fabs do paint on their Ti, but how are new Ti builders going to distinguish themselves? In a market where aesthetics often helps a builder establish style, what is it for Ti?

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, btu ho do you choose? haha

Steve in SLO
11-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Proper.

Looks like a bi-ovalized top tube. I wonder if there are any other tricks in the frame?

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Interesting. I'm finding the titanium market to be very interesting. I mean Ti bikes all kind of look similar. You have the FF guys who do ano, and the Indy Fabs do paint on their Ti, but how are new Ti builders going to distinguish themselves? In a market where aesthetics often helps a builder establish style, what is it for Ti?

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, but how do you choose? haha

If it has a dealer network, I think you 'buy' the dealer/bike shop and what he says. If they don't, I guess you look it up on the interweb..and take what's said with a grain of salt(probably what a dealer says too).

I think the 'big boys', all are similar and all do great work. Whether they have a dealer network or not. Couple I really like, Moots for kinda big and Mosaic for kinda small..honorable mention to Independent Fabrication, Baum and FF..IMHO, of course. BUT lots of really great ti out there right now.

gomango
11-20-2016, 10:14 AM
If it has a dealer network, I think you 'buy' the dealer/bike shop and what he says. If they don't, I guess you look it up on the interweb..and take what's said with a grain of salt(probably what a dealer says too).

I think the 'big boys', all are similar and all do great work. Whether they have a dealer network or not. Couple I really like, Moots for kinda big and Mosaic for kinda small..honorable mention to Independent Fabrication, Baum and FF..IMHO, of course. BUT lots of really great ti out there right now.

I have a Moots dealer two minutes from my house in St. Paul. I know who's going to get my ti $$$$ when the time comes.

All the best to Bixxis though, as that's a beautiful bike.

Very classy with an excellent pedigree.

Mzilliox
11-20-2016, 10:20 AM

I totally get the real logistics. With steel and carbon, i see the differences in the bike, its not just builders tricks and techniques, one can see actual stylistic differences. Line up 20 Ti frames and a few stand out while the rest look like some nice welding of tubes.

Id agree with Moots being the top of the stack. and I love the Mosaic stuff. But theres so many Ti builders out there anymore. or relationships like Kent Eriksen building Ti frames for Hampsten (if that actually still happens). then new ones like De Rosa taking on Ti, or Strong, Holland, Kualis, DeSalvo, etc.

Im not complaining, i like choices, and Maybe I am totally missing something when it comes to Ti, but i see so many enve forks on pieces of plain Ti, I wonder ho a maker distinguishes his or her self.

I guess it was that way once in steel as well

cadence90
11-20-2016, 10:59 AM

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, btu ho do you choose? haha
This Bixxis looks great, and i would bet that it is, given DDR's passion for ti. In Italy Passoni are great, established ti builders. Also Paduano, Legend, Colnago CT-1/CT-2, Bianchi Matta, Nevi, Crisp, maybe Rewel. But of all these I have only seen, irl, the Passoni, and it was really very impressive work.

UK: Enigma.

In the US, there are more than several several excellent choices too: Moots, Eriksen, Seven, IF, Mosaic, Spectrum, Potts, Bill Holland, De Salvo, surely some others I am forgetting. I think it comes down to who you click with.

I clicked with this guy, and have loved it ever since.

http://cdn.mysitemyway.com/etc-mysitemyway/icons/legacy-previews/icons-256/3d-transparent-glass-icons-arrows/006785-3d-transparent-glass-icon-arrows-hand-clear-pointer-down.png

pmac
11-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know where you can get the italian colors water bottles seen in the first picture at this link?

Thank, Paul

They're in the wild now:

bfd
11-20-2016, 01:28 PM
then new ones like De Rosa taking on Ti, or Strong, Holland, Kualis, DeSalvo, etc.

Huh? Many of those builders have been building ti frames for many years. DeRosa titanios have been around since the mid-90s! Same with Carl Strong, DeSalvo and Holland Cycles. Don't know about Kualis.

Used ti frames are the best buys on the market. You can easily get a used ti frame from Serotta, Merlin, Litespeed, Lemond (Wisconsin made) and many others for cheap like $400-800 for frame. Yes, most of them require a 1" fork, but hey the Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork is still available!

Good Luck!

El Chaba
11-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Well that's pretty much the last word in titanium, IMHO....

Kirk007
11-20-2016, 04:25 PM
How do you choose? Well - butted? Single walled? Builders have different philosophies. Off the rack like Moots or built to fit by someone whose been designing ti bikes for 2, 5, 10, 30 years? rando? disc? classic? integrated seattube? What do their big (for me) bikes look like? What do their small bikes look like? Can they make the ends of the bell curve ride well and look well proportioned? The devils in the details in design, features, aesthetics. Straight seatstays? curved? You just have to do your research and figure it out.

The Bixxis are very nice with a great pedigree and to do it right you get to go to Italy to be personally fitted. Newcomers? Max (333Fab) makes really nice frames as a relative "newcomer." For me, hard to not go with some of the old masters. Tom Kellogg, Kent Ericksen and Steve Potts are at the top of my list.

happycampyer
11-20-2016, 04:52 PM
It looks like the seatstays are double swaged in the way Serotta ti seatstays were (see photo 6 in particular). Not a simple detail to pull off.

mhespenheide
11-20-2016, 05:23 PM

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, but how do you choose? haha

In Southern OR? DeSalvo, of course. :D

If you've got someone local who's good, go with them. If not, go with a good local dealer. If not, go with a good reputation.

FlashUNC
11-20-2016, 05:44 PM
I really missed the meeting on these, in both ti and steel flavors.

Mzilliox
11-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Huh? Many of those builders have been building ti frames for many years. DeRosa titanios have been around since the mid-90s! Same with Carl Strong, DeSalvo and Holland Cycles. Don't know about Kualis.

Used ti frames are the best buys on the market. You can easily get a used ti frame from Serotta, Merlin, Litespeed, Lemond (Wisconsin made) and many others for cheap like $400-800 for frame. Yes, most of them require a 1" fork, but hey the Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork is still available!

Good Luck!

Oh I'd agree. I meant this all more rhetorical. I've tapped into the used custom Ti market once for my travel stoner Eriksen, and im likely to keep going that route. But my next bike may be a true custom, not somebody else's custom, and I am thinking Ti will suit me fine.

I guess i see this bike and I recognize De Rosa as an incredible builder with quite the pedigree, but had i not know that about BIXXIS, this one just looks like one more Ti bike, not that that is a bad thing, i happen to love the look of Ti.

El Chaba
11-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Oh I'd agree. I meant this all more rhetorical. I've tapped into the used custom Ti market once for my travel stoner Eriksen, and im likely to keep going that route. But my next bike may be a true custom, not somebody else's custom, and I am thinking Ti will suit me fine.

I guess i see this bike and I recognize De Rosa as an incredible builder with quite the pedigree, but had i not know that about BIXXIS, this one just looks like one more Ti bike, not that that is a bad thing, i happen to love the look of Ti.

Until Doriano left DeRosa, he built all of the titanium bikes there...

cadence90
11-21-2016, 01:30 AM
Does anyone know where you can get the italian colors water bottles seen in the first picture at this link?

Thank, Paul
Elite "Loli" - "Italy" (they had a bunch of countries). I think discontinued or perhaps was a limited edition. so only available NOS if at all.

oldpotatoe
11-21-2016, 06:15 AM
I totally get the real logistics. With steel and carbon, i see the differences in the bike, its not just builders tricks and techniques, one can see actual stylistic differences. Line up 20 Ti frames and a few stand out while the rest look like some nice welding of tubes.

Id agree with Moots being the top of the stack. and I love the Mosaic stuff. But theres so many Ti builders out there anymore. or relationships like Kent Eriksen building Ti frames for Hampsten (if that actually still happens). then new ones like De Rosa taking on Ti, or Strong, Holland, Kualis, DeSalvo, etc.

Im not complaining, i like choices, and Maybe I am totally missing something when it comes to Ti, but i see so many enve forks on pieces of plain Ti, I wonder ho a maker distinguishes his or her self.

Kent doesn't even make frames for 'Eriksen' anymore..pretty much hung up his torch and now Brad Bingham is the guy in the big chair.

LegendRider
11-21-2016, 08:06 AM
A friend just had this made after a visit to the factory. She had been riding a steel DeRosa for years and decided to get her dream bike.

Mzilliox
11-21-2016, 08:10 AM
A friend just had this made after a visit to the factory. She had been riding a steel DeRosa for years and decided to get her dream bike.

lovely, great fork

bfd
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Another option - Bill Davidson in Seattle:

http://davidsonbicycles.com/bicycles-ti/

http://davidsonbicycles.com/wp-content/gallery/ti/hockey1.jpg

Nags&Ducs
11-21-2016, 04:08 PM
It looks like the seatstays are double swaged in the way Serotta ti seatstays were (see photo 6 in particular). Not a simple detail to pull off.

How can you tell? Is it because it appears smaller at both ends? Is swaging the only way to accomplish that?

Proper.

Looks like a bi-ovalized top tube. I wonder if there are any other tricks in the frame?

Another detail that I couldn't really see, that more discerning eyes can. Maybe because this one is very subtle IMHO. My Lynskey Cooper CX has a massive bi-ovalizef DT that is easily noticeable.

The one thing I really liked about the DR Titanio was the CNC machined headtube. Very distinct and a feature not used by any other titanium builder that I'm aware of.

jmeloy
11-21-2016, 08:34 PM

And don't forget Spectrum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

happycampyer
11-21-2016, 08:44 PM
How can you tell? Is it because it appears smaller at both ends? Is swaging the only way to accomplish that?Yes, it appears to taper at both ends, more so toward the dropout. And, yes, swaging is the only way to obtain that shape. Dave Kirk did an excellent job explaining the complication of the process here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1560680&postcount=38