Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Not-so-Senior

Bixxis Titanio

They're in the wild now:

http://bikeadelic.blogspot.com/2016/...ys-bixxis.html

You can find a few other Titanio frames on the Bixxis Facebook page as well.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrider View Post
They're in the wild now:

http://bikeadelic.blogspot.com/2016/...ys-bixxis.html

You can find a few other Titanio frames on the Bixxis Facebook page as well.
Well, well, well.

"BUONA MATTINA SIGNORINA"

Old 11-20-2016, 09:50 AM

Nicest people ever. Doriano and Martina were lovely to hang out with. Much power to them.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Interesting. I'm finding the titanium market to be very interesting. I mean Ti bikes all kind of look similar. You have the FF guys who do ano, and the Indy Fabs do paint on their Ti, but how are new Ti builders going to distinguish themselves? In a market where aesthetics often helps a builder establish style, what is it for Ti?

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, btu ho do you choose? haha
Old 11-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Descent fitness

Proper.

Looks like a bi-ovalized top tube. I wonder if there are any other tricks in the frame?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Interesting. I'm finding the titanium market to be very interesting. I mean Ti bikes all kind of look similar. You have the FF guys who do ano, and the Indy Fabs do paint on their Ti, but how are new Ti builders going to distinguish themselves? In a market where aesthetics often helps a builder establish style, what is it for Ti?

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, but how do you choose? haha
If it has a dealer network, I think you 'buy' the dealer/bike shop and what he says. If they don't, I guess you look it up on the interweb..and take what's said with a grain of salt(probably what a dealer says too).

I think the 'big boys', all are similar and all do great work. Whether they have a dealer network or not. Couple I really like, Moots for kinda big and Mosaic for kinda small..honorable mention to Independent Fabrication, Baum and FF..IMHO, of course. BUT lots of really great ti out there right now.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If it has a dealer network, I think you 'buy' the dealer/bike shop and what he says. If they don't, I guess you look it up on the interweb..and take what's said with a grain of salt(probably what a dealer says too).

I think the 'big boys', all are similar and all do great work. Whether they have a dealer network or not. Couple I really like, Moots for kinda big and Mosaic for kinda small..honorable mention to Independent Fabrication, Baum and FF..IMHO, of course. BUT lots of really great ti out there right now.
I have a Moots dealer two minutes from my house in St. Paul. I know who's going to get my ti $$$$ when the time comes.

All the best to Bixxis though, as that's a beautiful bike.

Very classy with an excellent pedigree.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

I totally get the real logistics. With steel and carbon, i see the differences in the bike, its not just builders tricks and techniques, one can see actual stylistic differences. Line up 20 Ti frames and a few stand out while the rest look like some nice welding of tubes.

Id agree with Moots being the top of the stack. and I love the Mosaic stuff. But theres so many Ti builders out there anymore. or relationships like Kent Eriksen building Ti frames for Hampsten (if that actually still happens). then new ones like De Rosa taking on Ti, or Strong, Holland, Kualis, DeSalvo, etc.

Im not complaining, i like choices, and Maybe I am totally missing something when it comes to Ti, but i see so many enve forks on pieces of plain Ti, I wonder ho a maker distinguishes his or her self.

I guess it was that way once in steel as well
Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, btu ho do you choose? haha
This Bixxis looks great, and i would bet that it is, given DDR's passion for ti. In Italy Passoni are great, established ti builders. Also Paduano, Legend, Colnago CT-1/CT-2, Bianchi Matta, Nevi, Crisp, maybe Rewel. But of all these I have only seen, irl, the Passoni, and it was really very impressive work.

UK: Enigma.

In the US, there are more than several several excellent choices too: Moots, Eriksen, Seven, IF, Mosaic, Spectrum, Potts, Bill Holland, De Salvo, surely some others I am forgetting. I think it comes down to who you click with.

I clicked with this guy, and have loved it ever since.

Last edited by cadence90; 11-21-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:09 AM

Does anyone know where you can get the italian colors water bottles seen in the first picture at this link?

Thank, Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrider View Post
Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
then new ones like De Rosa taking on Ti, or Strong, Holland, Kualis, DeSalvo, etc.
Huh? Many of those builders have been building ti frames for many years. DeRosa titanios have been around since the mid-90s! Same with Carl Strong, DeSalvo and Holland Cycles. Don't know about Kualis.

Used ti frames are the best buys on the market. You can easily get a used ti frame from Serotta, Merlin, Litespeed, Lemond (Wisconsin made) and many others for cheap like $400-800 for frame. Yes, most of them require a 1" fork, but hey the Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork is still available!

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Well that's pretty much the last word in titanium, IMHO....
Old 11-20-2016, 04:25 PM
formerly Landshark_98

How do you choose? Well - butted? Single walled? Builders have different philosophies. Off the rack like Moots or built to fit by someone whose been designing ti bikes for 2, 5, 10, 30 years? rando? disc? classic? integrated seattube? What do their big (for me) bikes look like? What do their small bikes look like? Can they make the ends of the bell curve ride well and look well proportioned? The devils in the details in design, features, aesthetics. Straight seatstays? curved? You just have to do your research and figure it out.

The Bixxis are very nice with a great pedigree and to do it right you get to go to Italy to be personally fitted. Newcomers? Max (333Fab) makes really nice frames as a relative "newcomer." For me, hard to not go with some of the old masters. Tom Kellogg, Kent Ericksen and Steve Potts are at the top of my list.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:52 PM

It looks like the seatstays are double swaged in the way Serotta ti seatstays were (see photo 6 in particular). Not a simple detail to pull off.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:

this coming form a guy who thinks his next bike will be Ti, but how do you choose? haha
In Southern OR? DeSalvo, of course.

If you've got someone local who's good, go with them. If not, go with a good local dealer. If not, go with a good reputation.